Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Chain Tensioner 'o'ring

philace

hi guys

just phoned my local toyota dealer " VANTAGE TOYOTA SCARBOROUGH " to get a rough price on how much it would be to fit a oring on the timing chain tensioner, £1300.......as it would take them 15 hours and they would have to take the engine out?????

I have a workshop manual and it doesn't mention removing the engine.

Has anyone done this repair or had it done by a garage/dealer ?

nearly forgot i have a 02 celica gen7 vvti.

hi guys

just phoned my local toyota dealer " VANTAGE TOYOTA SCARBOROUGH " to get a rough price on how much it would be to fit a oring on the timing chain tensioner, £1300.......as it would take them 15 hours and they would have to take the engine out?????

I have a workshop manual and it doesn't mention removing the engine.

Has anyone done this repair or had it done by a garage/dealer ?

I dont know how much it would be. But at £1300 they must be having a :censor: laugh! :arrgg-matey:

Once a timing chaai tensioner goes faulty or needs repair then it is recommended to replace the complete chain and associated anciliaries at the same time.:)

Crikey!

I'm sure a good local garage will be able to do it a bit cheaper

Once a timing chaai tensioner goes faulty or needs repair then it is recommended to replace the complete chain and associated anciliaries at the same time.:)

There is no fault with the tensioner, chain or anciliaries. Just the O ring needs changing, think toyota might of made the same presumption as yourself james and priced for the whole lot!

Best ring them again tomorrow!

In NZ it costs $550 to get your cambelt replaced along with the 2 tensioners and 2 idle pulleys. This is standard throughout NZ .. about 280 pounds. Check with another garage, it would be ridiculous if your motor needed to come out and bad design by Toyota. I think your garage thinks you are a rich fool and they need some money. Change garages..

as far as i know the tensioner isn't damaged just the 'o'ring

cheers

How do they know the O ring is damaged..What are the symptoms?

When did you last do the cambelt (or is it a chain?)

And how many k's have you done?

How do they know the O ring is damaged..What are the symptoms?

When did you last do the cambelt (or is it a chain?)

And how many k's have you done?

[/quote

the symptoms are oil leaking from the timing 'chain' tensioner which should be sealed with an 'o'ring,

therefore i presume the 'o'ring is faulty. toyota did not diagnose the leak i only asked for a price to change the 'o'ring.

i've since got a price from another toyota dealer......£57.

Great! That sounds more realistic.

Your other garage was definitely trying to rip you off. I think this is a common trick with some garages.

1300 pounds to take your motor out! They would have just changed it in an hour and you would have been none the wiser.