Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Much Engine Noise Inside The Car

Fred6370

Hello again frome norway, long time.....

I have a customer at work, she complains about to much engine noise inside her Auris. This is the 1.4D4d engine.

I can agree with her that the noise inside of the car is a bit greater then in other similar cars.

Have been lookin for a plug or something in the firewall that could be missing, but have not found anything.

But today, I noticed something, the car is fitted with a Guardian aftermarket windscreen. Could it be that this screen is less noise protected? Anyone heard about that before?

This customer bought the car second hand, so she has never driven it with the original screen, but she has tried other cars, that has less noise then her own. That is why she complains about this.

Kind of need quick answers if anyone has ideas, having the car in to the workshop tomorrow....

Thanks

Fred

possible it is thinner glass (look at the difference between front and rear door glass to see my point)

if she can get the screen changed for a genuine one under her insurance (doesnt affect premiums over here not sure about where you are)

Have a look at my topic on Soundproofing / Road Noise in the Celica Forum (top of page 2)

It will fix it

Also see my attached photo. This cut down on noise by at least 60%

post-81566-0-16319800-1309202661_thumb.j

I had a Corolla 1.4D4 which developed a crack in the windscreen. Strangely it only appeared on the outside surface and not on the inside. Was told on replacement that I needed a genuine Toyota screen as they were double glazed to reduce the noise level from the engine. Perhaps the Auris 1.4D4 is the same.

Got it!

The person who put in the aftermarket windscreen, did not get it right.

There was a gap in the glue. About 15cm on each side air (and noise) could get into the car

Got it!

There was a gap in the glue. About 15cm on each side air (and noise) could get into the car

and rain, snow, etc etc :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Got it!

and rain, snow, etc etc :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

15cm - I don't think so :yahoo:

David

"15cm - I don't think so"

Makes visiting the McDonalds drive through easier though

Well. It actually was 15 cm. But it was in the lower corners of the windscreen, under the plastic cover, under the wipers. So no rain or snow could get in there. 15 cm wide, but maybe just 2mm gap.

Well. It actually was 15 cm. But it was in the lower corners of the windscreen, under the plastic cover, under the wipers. So no rain or snow could get in there. 15 cm wide, but maybe just 2mm gap.

Fair enough

David

Cool good job you found the gap.

I had a new windscreen on my avensis last october and from the moment it was fitted the noise in the car was terrible, lots more road noise, had to turn up the volume on the radio by 5 its was like driving with a window open. Lots of complaining to the insurance co and glass fitters about it not being the right window (ie an aftermarket and it not being to spec) and that I had asked for a manufactures window was falling on deaf ears about.

But Lucky for me cold morning and a bit of sun the stress panel around the windscreen put an almost foot long crack across the bottom of the screen. Proof of a substand screen and a new manufactures screen fitted shortly after. And magic the road noise went back to what it was before.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links