Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Rack Problems

benenglish100

Hi,

I have a Toyota Celica GT4 Turbo ST185 J reg.

The problem is this. About 2 months ago now my steering started to make a noise, and as time went on the steering became vague and sometimes unresponsive! I have just had this fully checked out and they have found that the steering rack on the drivers side has come away from the chassis of the car, and needs to be welded back on. But because of the cars design, they will need to take the entire engine, and dashboard out of the car! costing (because of the labor needed) around £2500-£3000!!!

What I was hoping you maybe able to help with is do you know if this is common problem? and also if you know of any way to correct the problem without taking the engine out of the car?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ben

Mines a 98st and in the Haynes manual it describes for removal of the steering rack to lower the front subframe which the rack is secured to, by removing 10 bolts. The engine should not have to come out but would have to be supported when the subframe is removed. I'd go and get another quote elsewhere!

• 1 year later...

Hi ben I have just baught a celica gt4 st185 turbo. Its an import wide arch one. Last night my steering rack completely got rippied out. more or less the same problem as you had. Just wondering since you had this prob lem in your car have you sorted it out and if so could you tell me how you did this and how much you spent on it.

thank you

neil.

Hi ben I have just baught a celica gt4 st185 turbo. Its an import wide arch one. Last night my steering rack completely got rippied out. more or less the same problem as you had. Just wondering since you had this prob lem in your car have you sorted it out and if so could you tell me how you did this and how much you spent on it.

thank you

neil.

Get over to GT4OC Clicky the boys over there should be able to help. It`s not an uncommon problem on these cars. Just type steering in the search box. :thumbsup:

This is what your facing. Quote from one of the threads.

"you will need it on a ramp and with the engine running,this is essential.you can quite easily see the bracket above the exkaust flexi just as the floor goes from flat to up the bulkhead,with an assistant in the car turning the steering lock to lock(engine running) you may see the bracket coming away from the bulkhead,mine was pulling away about 5mm around 80% of the bracket! it is weldable if you remove the exhaust flexi,i sat in the car with an airline blowing the floor to try and keep it cool,i also pulled back all the carpet and removed the ecu just in case,took about 20 mins to weld up and the difference was amazing.

any 185 owner who has a strange creaking coming from the rack first thing on a cold morning needs to look into this as its almost certainly the problem. "

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That sounds fugly. :o Is this a GT4 specific problem, or should I be checking to see if my rack is about fall off? :huh:

That sounds fugly.  :o  Is this a GT4 specific problem, or should I be checking to see if my rack is about fall off?  :huh:

i would have a look because its going to cost me about £1500 to fix it :crybaby:

i would have a look because its going to cost me about £1500 to fix it :crybaby:

£1500.. :eek: Strewth! What are you doing to repair it? :unsure:

That sounds fugly.  :o  Is this a GT4 specific problem, or should I be checking to see if my rack is about fall off?  :huh:

Mike. I would think it`s not just the GT4. Apart from the floorpan things like the steering racks and the bulkheads are pretty much the same I would be inclined to have a decko mate. Just to be on the safe side. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hey there.

Im having a loud humming noise from my gen 5 whenever I start her up and turn the wheels every morning. It gets pretty loud when I put the wheels on full lock.

It seems to calm down and disappear after a few minuted driving. PAS leak?

What type of steering fluid does the gen5 take?

Cheers.