Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hsd Gearbox Whine

Batwoman

Morning all,

I have an Auris HSD on order but am getting concerned by the number of reviews I've read that point out that the gearbox whines when the car accelerates using the petrol engine?

Anyone on the forum got experience with this or a balanced view to share?

Thanks

It doesn't whine at all. You'll hear the engine revving hard as you enter POWER band on the display. This is a characteristic with all CVT gearboxes. There is nothing wrong. In fact, I only get it when overtaking on the motorway or doing an uphill start. The rest of the time the power band is never really entered. At almost all other times you will never hear the engine at all.

Anf to be honest it is nowhere near as loud as the car mag reviews make out. And I've done 10,000 miles in mine so I should know.

Cheers

Dave

I don't know if it's the same on the Auris, but on the Prius you hear the electric motor/generator whine at low speeds when the Engine is off. IIRC with the Auris Hybrid they added extra soundproofing over the standard petrol/diesel models to eliminate road noise, so I'd guess it's probably quieter than the Prius and you may not hear the electric whine.

I don't know if it's the same on the Auris, but on the Prius you hear the electric motor/generator whine at low speeds when the Engine is off. IIRC with the Auris Hybrid they added extra soundproofing over the standard petrol/diesel models to eliminate road noise, so I'd guess it's probably quieter than the Prius and you may not hear the electric whine.

Yes it is audible in the Auris but as you say at very low speeds when hovering between charging and powering - I believe it's inverter whine and normal. That said it's not very loud at all.

Agree with the others, it's probably the electric motor. If you are really worried though pop back to your dealers for a bit of reassurance.. :thumbsup:

Morning all,

I have an Auris HSD on order but am getting concerned by the number of reviews I've read that point out that the gearbox whines when the car accelerates using the petrol engine?

Anyone on the forum got experience with this or a balanced view to share?

Thanks

If you are unhappy go back to your dealer and ask for another road test [Presuming you had one before you ordered it :unsure: ] and give it some welly to recheck it out.

I have no problems on mine, just a healthy engine roar [this sounds loud because usually the car is soooo quite] when the throttle is floored [don't do this very often - no good for high mpg's].

Don't put much faith in these subjective press/media reviews and the like they have their own agendas, can't remember any complaints on this forum about it though. :blink:

You'll love it when you get it - just drive it and try out the new features one at a time, then reject most of them, and when you start getting your high mpg's then you know you doing it correctly. :lol:

Cheers TerryB

Thanks everyone, your comments have set my mind at ease. Hopefully, I'll have my beauty in 2-3 weeks. I'll post a pic once I've taken delivery.

I quite like the sound that milk floats make :thumbsup:

Gearbox whine??? - Excuse me, but what a load of b*ll*cks!

The Auris HSD is almost silent. The electric motor makes a quiet, almost soothing sound as it gets going or as you slow to a stop, but it's a relaxing "hybrid-related" sound and it reminds you what a cool car you are driving.

Honestly, I've had mine for over six months and I am 110% happy with it. :toast:

I was one of the first people to get the Auris HSD in Norway and I felt quite special. After driving a 5 km trip yesterday and counting no fewer than 4 others on the road in that time, I realise I'm not so special anymore. - But I guess that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

Congrats on choosing a fantastic little car!

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox whine??? - Excuse me, but what a load of b*ll*cks!

Agreed. The Auris HSD does not have a gearbox.

+1 obviously someone's got an agenda. Perhaps the dipstick who wrote the item is confusing engine revs with gearbox whine. :rolleyes: