Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla E12 "jdm Taillights"

noedel

Hello folks.

Been working on my taillights again this morning, on the JDM taillight modification.

Took some pictures of it, hope it's useful ;)

How to get the "JDM Taillight" modification on a Corolla E12

Working as city light and brake light!

dscf0701.pngfoto0302.png

Before you start, realise that the rear foglight won't work no more.

Don't know if it's necessary on MOT in the UK, but in my country (Belgium) it is :P

I have put a small switch onto the original foglight wire (red wire with grey dots, 3rd wire in the wiring plug, counting from top to bottom).

So for MOT, I just have to switch it back on, or plug it in again.

Also keep in mind that where I'm living, cars drive on the right side of the road.

It's possible that the foglight is also on the other side of the car.

If it is, just take the other taillight then :P

To start, we have to take the taillights out.

In the boot, you can see 2 covers behind the taillights.

Take those off, and look inside.

First we'll have to unclip the plastic wiring plug, which clips into the plastic frame at the back of the lights.

Then around the edges of this frame you will see 3 small screws / nuts in size 10. Unscrew those.

Now you can take out the whole taillight.

The left taillight has already got a hole where the foglight bulb goes through (4 holes in total).

At the right there is no bulb, and also no hole in the taillight to get a bulb through (only 3 holes).

To get this modification, there should be drilled an extra hole in the right taillight.

It's the easiest when u use a hole saw. It's also possible with a normal drill bit, but this will take longer.

You'll notice that there will fall some small pieces of plastic into the taillight because of the drilling, but they can be taken out easily with a vacuum-cleaner.

When that's done, the right taillight should be looking like this:

dscn2588i.jpg

In this HOW TO I am going to use my right taillight.

For the left one we do exactly the same (after we've cut/disconnected the original fog wire, red with grey dots, 3rd wire in the wiring plug, counting from top to bottom) ;)

The right bulb frame should look like this:

dscn4020.jpg

You'll see there's already a bulb socket, ready to put an extra bulb in.

After some testing I've found out that, when you count from top to bottom:

- the 5th plate represents the signal of the brake lights.

- the 6th (last) plate represents the signal of the normal city lights.

They go both to the brake light bulb :)

When you look closer you will notice that there are some black plastic dots on the metal things on the frame.

As in the following pictures, take off a dot from the brake light plate, and one from the city light plate.

Now take a small drill bit, and drill into these holes, completely through the frame.

dscn4021h.jpg

dscn4022h.jpg

From behind it should look like this (don't mind the damage, took older taillights where I've been doing some testing with)

dscn4023.jpg

Screw 2 small screws through these holes as in the following picture.

dscn4024p.jpg

Now we'll drill 2 small holes under the socket, where the new bulb will be placed.

Take a drill bit just big enough to fit a small wire through.

dscn4025g.jpg

From the top it should look like this:

dscn4026n.jpg

Now we get our 2 new bulbs.

But: make sure those are brake bulbs! They have got a double signal inlet at the bottom, one for 21W (brake), an done for 5W (city light).

They have als got 2 filaments (glowing wires in a bulb).

dscn4027gu.jpg

dscn4028.jpg

Now we have to solder 2 new wires onto these new bulbs.

As said before, these bulbs have got 2 signal inlets at the bottom.

Doesn't matter which is th 21W and 5W one, we'll notice that when testing.

Solder a wire onto each inlet as on the following picture.

After doing that, I have put some black heat tubing around it.

dscn4032xj.jpg

When that's finished, we're going to place the bulb into the frame.

First put the soldered wires through the 2 holes you've drilled under the bulb socket.

It's possible that it won't fit that good. Some twisting and pushing could be needed.

When pushing the bulb in, pull the wires through the socket, so they don't get damaged.

dscn4033v.jpg

Now measure how long the 2 wires must be.

They need to get onto the 2 screws we've screwed through the bulb frame before.

Cut them, and squeeze a small "eye" onto the wires, as in the following picture.

dscn4034.jpg

Put each "eye" onto a screw, and fasten it with a small nut which fits onto the screw.

I have also put some heat tubing around it just to be sure.

dscn4037i.jpg

Result:

dscn4038p.jpg

BUT:

Because I don't know by heart which inlet on the new bulbs is the 5W, and which one is the 21W, it's possible the wires are swapped (on the screws).

To know this, just connect the bulb frames onto the wire plug, and put on the lights, and use the brake.

When it's not working as it should, swap the 2 wires at the screws, and problem is solved.

About MOT: As said before, the foglight function is gone.

To put this back to normal, reconnect the foglight wire (red wire with grey dots, 3rd wire in the wiring plug, counting from top to bottom), and take the 2 wires from the screws.

Put the original bulb back in, done :thumbsup:

Have you got any questions? Just ask!

Seen a wrong spelling somewhere? Just say, I'll edit this post! ;)

Grtz, and good luck for those who try B)

Looks nice! could be a pain in the ***** when a bulb goes if you've soldered wires to to bulb, I take it you've soldered up a few more bulbs in readiness just incase.

First post edited ;)

@ nathjh: You can always try! ;)

@ Adam-Up: Yea, that's the only "negative" thing about this.

But taking out the bulb, and soldering the wires onto a new bulb ain't that hard I think :P

Grtz!

First post edited ;)

@ nathjh: You can always try! ;)

@ Adam-Up: Yea, that's the only "negative" thing about this.

But taking out the bulb, and soldering the wires onto a new bulb ain't that hard I think :P

Grtz!

Well If I were you I'd solder up a few in readiness for when a bulb does go, be much quicker and easier then.

Gorgeous mate, any other pics of lights lit up at night ??

I think I may have a go at this and I still think I need to drive over and see u lol :thumbsup:

Well If I were you I'd solder up a few in readiness for when a bulb does go, be much quicker and easier then.

Hehe, I'll keep it in mind :)

Gorgeous mate, any other pics of lights lit up at night ??

I think I may have a go at this and I still think I need to drive over and see u lol :thumbsup:

Whaha, I'm just a 21 year old kid, nothing special mate :P

I have searched on my computer, and these are the best pics I can find.

I'll try to take some new ones, with a better camera ;)

foto0301i.jpg

foto0302w.jpg

dscn2982l.jpg

dscn3533j.jpg

dscn2577m.jpg

dscn2594h.jpg

dscf0759i.jpg

Grtz

Thank you for the extra pics,

Im liking that mod alot, I may try and find some 2nd hand rear bulb holders and practice on them :thumbsup:

Took some more pictures as I promised.

dscn4042o.jpg

dscn4045n.jpg

Also recorded it, together with my US module:

Grtz ;)

Thats looks ace esp with the double brake light.

I have double side lights at the rear but not brake lights but i still have the fog light tho.

Thats looks ace esp with the double brake light.

I have double side lights at the rear but not brake lights but i still have the fog light tho.

Yea, also possible :D

So you have connected the foglight onto the 21W inlet?

Grtz

No i drilled holes in the fog lamp and used 12v5w capless bulb holders and bulbs they are pushed in.

I just wired then into the sidelights.

• 4 weeks later...

awesome mate, maybe I'll try them too :) P.S. don't know if someone knows this but can you use a facelift speedo on a prefacelift one? Is it difficult to install if it's possible? Simple answer to this is because I hate the green speedo in the prefacelift and want it white :(

That's 100% possible.

Because my parents drive a 2002 pfl corolla, and they have also got a speedo with white enlightment ;)

Just unscrew 2 screws, one to take off the plastic frame in front of the speedo, and when you take that one off, you'll see another one, on top of the speedo itself. But watch out you don't pull too hard on the wiring ;)

Grtz

That's 100% possible.

Because my parents drive a 2002 pfl corolla, and they have also got a speedo with white enlightment ;)

Just unscrew 2 screws, one to take off the plastic frame in front of the speedo, and when you take that one off, you'll see another one, on top of the speedo itself. But watch out you don't pull too hard on the wiring ;)

Grtz

Thanks a lot, I know I may sound annoying but could you recommend me on what to buy/where to? I'll also ask my Toyota agent but I'm sure he'll ask a hefty price for it.

• 1 year later...

nice work man hoping to get mine as nice :driving: just needs a bit lower and bigger wheels and t-sport bumper :)

• 2 months later...

Hi it's me again, I just got a pair of facelift tail lights and they seem different from yours. They are in silver and apparently there is a holder for a foglight bulb.

There are some things which I can't understand:

1. Both holders (Left tail lamp and right one) have a holder for a foglight bulb.

2. Left tail light has a sealed hole for the fog lamp - which needs to be cut correct? (We drive on the left)

3. Do I have to cut the 3rd wire (the one with grey dots), which in terms is the foglamp wire for both lamps or is it only just for 1?

Have you ever noticed any heating problems or anything with this mod just out of curiosity?

Thanks & Regards,

Francesco

Thanks a lot, I know I may sound annoying but could you recommend me on what to buy/where to? I'll also ask my Toyota agent but I'm sure he'll ask a hefty price for it.

Hey, sorry for my late reaction.

I'd say, try to find one on a scrapyard, or find somebody who wants to trade? :)

nice work man hoping to get mine as nice :driving: just needs a bit lower and bigger wheels and t-sport bumper :)

Thanks man!

Maybe a little late, but I've noticed there's a t-sport bumper for sale on eBay at this moment:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cc666fc2

Hi it's me again, I just got a pair of facelift tail lights and they seem different from yours. They are in silver and apparently there is a holder for a foglight bulb.

There are some things which I can't understand:

1. Both holders (Left tail lamp and right one) have a holder for a foglight bulb.

2. Left tail light has a sealed hole for the fog lamp - which needs to be cut correct? (We drive on the left)

3. Do I have to cut the 3rd wire (the one with grey dots), which in terms is the foglamp wire for both lamps or is it only just for 1?

Have you ever noticed any heating problems or anything with this mod just out of curiosity?

Thanks & Regards,

Francesco

The facelift taillights are in a grey frame indeed, but they work the same ;)

The foglight bulb holder is there in both frames, so they can use both sides on left handed and right handed corollas.

The left taillight in your case, because you drive left, just hasn't got any wires going to this holder.

Normally you have to drill 1 extra hole, where the new foglight bulb goes through, in the left taillight frame.

The red wire with grey dots is indeed the wire to the foglight.

This wire can only be at your right taillight, because at the left there's no foglight, right? :)

Grtz

The facelift taillights are in a grey frame indeed, but they work the same ;)

The foglight bulb holder is there in both frames, so they can use both sides on left handed and right handed corollas.

The left taillight in your case, because you drive left, just hasn't got any wires going to this holder.

Normally you have to drill 1 extra hole, where the new foglight bulb goes through, in the left taillight frame.

The red wire with grey dots is indeed the wire to the foglight.

This wire can only be at your right taillight, because at the left there's no foglight, right? :)

Grtz

Ah now I understand :)

1.Indeed yes, the left tail lamp has a sealed hole which needs cutting.

2. The left tail light does not have the wiring in the socket, so you're correct :D.

3. Do I have to cut the right tail light wire (the one with the dots) for this to work?

After doing the above, I just have to do the same thing as you did? (drill 2 holes, and connect the bulb as you suggested)

Also one more thing, does it matter if the new foglight bulb touches the base metal as shown here:

dscn4026n.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still a noob at these things and don't wanna ruin the tail light :)

I appreciate your help!

No problem ;)

3. yes that's how to make it work.

Else you will see that the rear foglight icon on your speedo will light up when u put the lights on or when u hot the brakes ;)

About the touching of the metal: just make sure that the bulb touches the sides of the holder (= the negative side), not necessarily the bottom (= the positive side).

Hope it's clear :)

Grtz

thanks :D and thanks for your help. I have kept the foglight wire intact. Does it do any damange if my foglight lights up in the dash? (to keep the plug intact) Cheers bud!

The fog light will come up on the dash when braking and when u put your rear fog on youll put all 4 brake lights on. Both of which os an mot fail.

I have done this to my compressor and have got everything to work as it should. No dash lights coming on with brakes etc etc.

Ill post up a video of it tomorrow

Hmm ok, good to know for MOT (VRT in our country) Also I have noticed kind of a black smudge on the inside? could it be because of some dust from before? it looks more like smudge to me :S I'll post a pic tomorrow