Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy Used Avensis But Which One?

tarbee

Hello All,

Last time I wrote on this board I think was when I got Mr 'T' agreed to put a new short block into my old 1.8 2001 vvti Avensis, even though service history wasnt complete and it was 8 years after it was made. :yahoo:

Back in the market for a car now and even though I had the problem with the oil Toyota were brilliant and didnt quib about it at all.

Really like the newer shape after my old one, 2002 onwards- and looking at auto box 1.8 - 2L. I know that the 1.8s still had the oil issue and not the 2L so unsure as what to do, bit more expensive to buy of course the 2L. Any advice would be appreciated.

Should I point blank ignore buying any 1.8 up to 2005 aka (VIN numbers)!

Many thanks in advance!

Tarbee :thumbsup:

hi tarbee,

if you can, either go for a toyota avensis 2.0 D-4D (larger cars) or go for a toyota corolla. Both are solid performers.

Anyone? :rolleyes:

How about looking at the Derv models? But I think I'd also look at the likes of Honda now if I were in the market for a new motor :thumbsup:

Really like the newer shape after my old one, 2002 onwards- and looking at auto box 1.8 - 2L. I know that the 1.8s still had the oil issue and not the 2L so unsure as what to do, bit more expensive to buy of course the 2L. Any advice would be appreciated.

Should I point blank ignore buying any 1.8 up to 2005 aka (VIN numbers)!

I have an 05 1.8vvti manual and have had no oil burning issues at all. I assume mine is one of the "post fix" ones. Personally I wouldn't consider an older one as there seems to be quite a few with issues. As far as I know the 2.0 wasn't affected.

I was originally looking for an auto (when my manual one came up at the right price) and did a bit of review reading at the time. One in particular said that there wasn't a big difference in the actual feel of power between the 1.8 and the 2.0, although they were probably talking about manual versions. I find my car a bit flat at lower revs but if you get the revs up then it drives considerably more lively - would this mean that the auto would be ok power wise due to kickdown when required?

The only auto available in diesel form is the 2.2 but they seem to have no end of cylinder head problems - and they've not been out that long so they're still quite dear. The 2.0 diesel seems to have its fair share of problems too with cylinder heads and injectors.

If you're set on an auto see if you can get a test drive in a 1.8 and try it for yourself - but I'd personally try to research what engine numbers were the good ones and make sure it was one of them I was buying.

Hope this helps :)

Well I've gone and done it! Bought a 2 Litre T3-X Semi Auto - 2003.

Lovely to drive! I just pray I dont get issues with the engine on this one. As far as I know the 2 litres werent affected by the oil issue.

Just wondering if they do still use some oil though?

Anyone with a 2 litre with any info on this?

many thanks for all your inputs!!

:thumbsup:

I have a 53 plate 2 ltr T Spirit which I love. Had no oil burning issues with it at all. It's done 89000 and drives beautifully. Sailed through MOT all I've replaced are pads and an u2 sensor. Very happy with my first year as an avensis owner.

Yes I have to say its an even better experience than my old shape Avensis. The seats are realy comfortable and its very relaxing not having to change gear in traffic!! :yes:

Just got to do some paint touch up and rust treating. Did notice that behind the back arch (in the boot) on left side was a pool of water which is getting in (same as my old Avensis)so removed the rubber bungs and will treat with waxol-both sides of boot to stop rusting.

Might be worth checking yours for this if you havent!

out of interest guys, is your model the same as the toyota avensis 2.0 D-4D ???

Hi Tarbee

I'm impressed that you were able to get a short rebuild from Toyota on your last Avensis

I've just bought a 2003 1.8Vvti and it uses a fair bit of oil, but like your old one it is now 8 years old and an incomplete service history

I'd really appreciate any tips about how to you managed to persuade Toyota to do your rebuild

Mines a 2ltr petrol. No water in the boot or any signs that there ever was. I have to say it's the best overall car I've owned and I've had Gondar and nissans. I'm well pleased.......... Touch wood!