Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Kerb (Curb) Weight Iq3

tonyishuk

Does anyone know what the Kerb weight of an IQ3 is ?

The reason I ask is that UK Kerb weight does not include the driver (75kg) whilst the EU directives (bless'm) state that the drivers weight should be included in the kerb weight. Not sure which Mr T is quoting.

(Plan B is a trip to a weigh bridge)

Rgds

• 3 weeks later...

I asked the local Dealer who suggested that I looked in the handbook,

Handbook does not give the figure only the maxweight allowable.(no more than ten students on a public road :D

Wrote to Mr T (""email us at the Toyota Contact Centre"") asking the question, got the reply "Ask your Dealer"

I feel a song coming about a "Hole in a bucket, Liza!"" :crybaby:

Errm ???

Rgds

Is your question because you want to tow using the iQ3,

or because you want to tow the iQ behind something?

If its about towing with the iQ3, Problem is EU legislation on Tow Bars.

The iQ does not have EU approval (C&U certification) to tow or approved towbars.

Towbars are in the MOT now & some testers let things go as to approved or not bars.

If you fit a non EU approved bar you might never have a problem with being stopped by the boys in blue or a VOSA checkpoint,

but then again you might, & an unbraked trailer under 750 kg might not appear a problem, but in the event of an accident while towing your insurance will most likely be deemed to be non valid.

The Kerb weight given by Toyota for an iQ3 M/T & M/D is 930kg

Gross vehicle weight 1270kg

so shows no difference between manual & auto in kerb weight.

but 3 cylinders are given as kerb weigh m/t 845kg, m/d 860kg

& gross mt/md 1210kg

george

EDIT ps

Sorry for repeating something you already knew, it didnt answer your question.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113506

Thanks for the reply.

Re Not having the towball,

It would have been useful to be able to move the trailer by using the car rather than mannual pushing. But it was something I was aware. It seems strange but you can get a towbar for a Smart Car ! However I would imagine that some one would decide towing a loaded trailer and cause all sorts of problems, Definately a case of the the tail wagging the dog !

Thanks for the figures, Mr T at the garage gave me a figure of 955 kgs for the IQ3 multidrive.

The main problem seems to be that noone seems to know how the figure is derived. I assume it includes wet weights and 90% fuel (and no driver UK Unladen weight (Whereas the EU definition of unladen weight seems to include 75kg for the driver.))

The figure of 930 may be a dry shipping weight ?(Just enough fuel to drive it off the ship)

The trailers seem to be designed for 1000 kg so maybe I am worrying too much ?

Rgds

If the trailer carrying the iQ3 is ok for the weight, (which would be a minimum of plated for 1500kg i would have thought)

the only other thing is do you have 'Grandad rights' on your driving licence to tow the weight,

or do you need to pass your trailer test?

I use a trailer with a far greater weight capacity than required & still get grief at VOSA roadside checks. only once this past year, but 3 times last year.

george

ps

trailer size i use to transport the iQ on, i used to use a 2000kg trailer for smaller vehicles but it didnt tow well..

george

The EC Certificate of conformity figures (2009) for the iQ DIESEL:

12.1 Mass of vehicle with body work of running order = 1020 ~ 1050 kg

14.1 Technically permissible maximum laden mass = 1285 kg

18 Maximum mass of combination = 1285 kg

The wet figures include 68 kg + 7 kg for the driver (92/21/EWG) :yes:

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

LA-LA

Many thanks for pulling these figures out, I just wondering if there is a typo with regard to the last line of your reply, should it read "The wet figures include 68 kg + 75 kg for the driver (92/21/EWG)" (( 75 KG for the driver ?)

To others offering trailer advice

I am looking to buy a Brian James (or similar) Purpose built trailer for the IQ, but maybe I worrying to much as the load cappacity (excluding the trailer weight) of the trailers seem to be 1000KG. The same trailer is made for the Smart Car which is much lighter, I would like to see a little more spare capcity when carrying the IQ. Something I need to ask is if the add-ons (ramps, storage box, straps, winch etc) are included in the trailer weight and excluded from the load capacity.

Rgds

PS Got me Grandfather rights, Even retained my motorcyle licence when the old driving licence went back to the DVLA, unlike some other poor sods who had to take their test again !

92/21/EWG

1.2. fully laden (under the conditions referred to in point 4.2.2), by means of calculation, taking the following into account:

- the seat, if adjustable, must in particular be moved to the furthest back normal driving or seating position as indicated by the manufacturer taking into account only the longitudinal adjustment of the seat and excluding seats used otherwise than for normal driving or seating positions. Where there are other possibilities for adjusting the seat (vertical, angled, seat back, etc.) the adjusted positions must be as specified by the vehicle manufacturer. In the case of suspension seats, the seat must be locked in the normal driving position as specified by the manufacturer,

- the mass for each occupant (driver included) is taken to be 75 kg (68 kg + 7 kg of luggage); :boxed:

- the mass of each occupant is to be applied to the R point of each seat. Luggage is to be evenly distributed in the luggage compartment;

- any load in excess of the conventional load must be distributed on the seats and in the luggage compartment in the proportions laid down in the second indent.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Notice.do?val=186073:cs〈=de&list=307233:cs,307232:cs,307231:cs,415120:cs,206995:cs,186073:cs,415466:cs,185543:cs,185037:cs,&pos=6&page=1&nbl=9&pgs=10&hwords=92/21~&checktexte=checkbox&visu=#texte|

Many thanks for your reply.

I had the figure of 75Kg in my mind as 75kg is used for passenger / driver weights in the motorhome Kerb weight calculations (This is Included together with 80 % of water carried (in my case 80 kg !)

Thx again

Rgds

The term "Kerb weight" causes total confusion, there appears no definitive explanation, I found the following text on a caravaning website a while back, it says

The following are extracts from EU Directives:

EU 80/1268/EEC - 6.1.1.2.

For the purposes of this Directive, "mass of the vehicle in running order" means its total unladen mass with all tanks except the fuel tank full, the fuel tank being filled to 90 % of the capacity specified by the manufacturer, and with a set of tools and the spare wheel on board. (Audi use this one in 2010 A4 brochure.)

EU 95/48/EC - 2.6.

Mass of the vehicle with bodywork in running order, or mass of the chassis with cab if the manufacturer does not fit the bodywork (including coolant, oils, fuel, tools, spare wheel and driver) (o) (maximum and minimum):

Note the difference i.e. presence, or not, of a driver and/or 90% or 100% fuel.

Total confusion for us caravanners as the difference is about 70kgs.

There is no DEFINITIVE i.e. legal definition

So there you go, NO figures for adding a driver

Kingo :thumbsup:

Aha!

REMEMBER

When purchasing a RAPIDO, the unladen weight includes the weight of the vehicle's standard equipment.The unladen weight of camping-cars is determined in compliance with the laws currently in force and includes the vehicle in working order, the driver (75kg), the gas bottle, fresh water and fuel tanks up to 90 % of their capacitywith a tolerance of +/-5 % (in accordance with European Directive EC 92/21).

The mystery goes on.

Luckily the IQ is small enough to put a set of bathroom scales under each wheel. :thumbsup:

Rgds

At the end of the day, it seems that only the manufacturer can specify what their definition of unladen weight is. Not a problem, provided they can tell their dealers or customers the definition !! :help:

PS2 ! On second thoughts I do not know it the EU directive above relates to the definition of Unladen weight, or the +/- 5% of manufactured weight. Could be read either way ?

Just to add that I have had a further reply form Mr T which says :

"" Furthermore, Kerb weight is the weight of a car with all fluids (coolant, engine oil, brake fluid) plus a full tank of fuel and a driver weighing 75kg. It is measured when new cars are put forward for UNECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) type approval by their respective manufacturers.

Cars are tested with a standard specification, so if you choose to add options like air-conditioning or alloy wheels the actual kerb weight of your car may be slightly higher or lower than the official figure.

In the UK, this testing is carried out by the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency), but an approval issued by any equivalent organisation in the EU is accepted by all member states.

VCA is the designated UK Vehicle Type Approval authority, and with more than 30 years experience supports the industry by providing internationally recognised testing and certification for vehicles, their systems and components.""

Thanks again for advice offered for my query, Now the figures would appear to be 75kg lighter than quoted for kerbweight, I feel a little happier !

Rgds

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links