Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Clutch Replacement £795

SandyAygo

Hi,

I've been quoted £795 +VAT to have the clutch in my Aygo replaced. I've done 22,400 miles and the car is a 55 plate so not under warranty.

I've since found out that the clutch is a problem on a number of Aygos. Can someone please give me an idea of how much it would cost to replace the clutch?

Thanks

Is it a standard manual gearbox or an MMT?

Kingo :thumbsup:

It's manual, sorry should've said!

It's about a 3 hour job, there is a modified larger clutch, all in all it should cost about £550 at your dealer. You need to get them to justify the price, get a written quote from a few dealers, it sounds expensive to me

I can supply a discounted clutch for you if required, then just get a price for fitting. If you want to go that route, PM the registration number to me :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help. I'm going to see another garage tomorrow and hopefully they'll give me a cheaper quote. I just wanted an idea of what it usually costs.

Car was recovered yesterday and I went with whoever could pick up my car, so there's a £75 recovery included in that. I was told £176.63 for clutch and £35 for oil, the rest is labour.

I'll let you know how I get on at the other garage tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

£176 for the parts would be right IF they dont replace the clutch bearing, £217 WITH a new bearing

Just make sure the modified clutch is fitted (You can tell them you know all about the modified clutch and impress them :lol: )

I can do you a sensible price on the parts

I'm not sure if I'll be impressing them!

Thanks again, will get back to you tomorrow.

Clutch changes are expensive :(

For my Yaris, quotes were £700-800 from main dealers, £500-600 for franchise garages and £400-500 for independent garages and travelling mechanics...

When I've had to do clutch changes, I usually get the whole thing done (Friction plate, cover/spring, bearing and slave cylinder) just to save money in the future, as the labour costs are very high...

• Like 1

I bought a full 190mm uprated clutch kit off eBay for £90 then got it fitted at Tanvic for £165 with VAT.

Drives like a dream.

Thanks for the replies - got a quote for £300 which I'm going to go with.

• 4 years later...

I have found clutch problem less than three years old Aygo MMT with 22000 miles. Is this normal and was told its wear and tear therefore not covered by warentee.

appreciate your comments 

With any manufacturer, the new car warranty only provides limited cover for clutches - commonly around six months.

Your clutch issue could well be wear and tear, depending on the driving environment (eg urban driving with lots of stop/start driving) and driving style. The MMT is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch, so, for example, keeping the car in gear whilst queuing in traffic can wear the clutch.

The clutch went in my 107 at about 60,000 miles. It's a 2010 model which uses the thicker clutch from the Yaris I believe. When I Got mine replaced I paid about £270, although I've no idea whether or not they used the same thick clutch. I've a feeling they didn't.

Still, 12 months on and 4,000 miles in to it it's working fine. The car doesn't get much millage now so it should last a few good years yet.

Think with the MMT the transmission has to be reset, so is more expensive to fit a clutch than the manual.

the difference between £800 for the mmt clutch and £300 for a manual clutch cannot be justified

by having to use toyota's techstream software, after all it wont be more than a few clicks of the mouse

to set the start positon ,if it where £100 dearer people wouldn't mind as it is a little more involved.

£300? WTF? Last time I requested a quote to change the manual clutch on my Yaris Toyota wanted £900!!

Is it much easier on an Aygo or something!?

when our mmt clutch started to fail i sold the car and bought a new car as i couldnt justify paying £800 for a clutch

13 minutes ago, eygo said:

when our mmt clutch started to fail i sold the car and bought a new car as i couldnt justify paying £800 for a clutch

..., but not everyone is in a position to do that.

• 4 weeks later...

If you own an MMT then I think there's enough to suggest it'll fail at some point. If car is new, then it'll fail around 3YR mark. It'll likely fail every 3 years - dependant on driving style and usage. I choose not to worry, thats why I have the Toyota Extended Warranty :biggrin:

When it fails, and it will fail, I get it recovered to Mr T, toss 'em the keys and let them sort. I think I'm due my second clutch in next 8 months :thumbs up:

• 3 years later...
On 7/8/2011 at 4:33 PM, Parts-King said:

It's about a 3 hour job, there is a modified larger clutch, all in all it should cost about £550 at your dealer. You need to get them to justify the price, get a written quote from a few dealers, it sounds expensive to me

I can supply a discounted clutch for you if required, then just get a price for fitting. If you want to go that route, PM the registration number to me :thumbsup:

To be honest with you guys I don't know why you're taking it to anyone. Its a 3 cylinder engine the gearbox is a small 5 speed unit and theres loads of space around it. The majority of the time is taken up by removing stuff like the Battery carrier, clutch cable linkages gearbox mountings and plastic cowlings around the gearbox.

Then just drain the gearbox of gear out and remove the driveshafts from the gearbox. Remove the post cat oxygen sensor and you will see that you have plenty of access to the bolts around the gearbox with the engine gearbox unit slumped down towards the left. brace it with a small trolley jack to take the load off the remaining engine mounting and start to remove the gearbox bolts. Start with the difficult ones first and work your way to the visible ones at the front. 

After removing all the bolts you will just need to pull and shimmy the gearbox off. its easy. On a go slow it should take you 2 hours casually removing it, Then remove the clutch and clean the flywheel and bell housing of the gearbox with brake and clutch cleaner and refit the bearing in the gearbox and clutch and pressure plate. the Torque settings on the clutch pressure plate are 19NM which aren't too tight but tight enough. Make sure you tighten them in a criss-cross fashion 1-4-2-5-3-6 this will help you not get a false reading on the bolts. A tip on alignment is get 6 inches of 15mm copper pipe and insulation tape, wind the take at one end of the pipe so that it fits snugly in the hole in the middle of the flywheel. then about 5cm up the pipe wind the same thickness of insulation tape onto the pipe. when aligning the clutch place this in the hole in the middle of the flywheel and you'll find its perfectly aligned.

So after fitting the clutch and the release bearing gently lift the gearbox onto the engine and if you've followed my instructions you'll find it goes on easily.

Simple refit everything in reverse order and top up the gearbox with new gear oil 75w Gear ol GL-4 Spec you need 2 litres and you'll have to make sure the car is level when topping it up at the filler hole at the front of the gearbox next to the exhaust manifold/cat. When the cars level and fluid begins to come back out of the filler hole its full.

Its not a hard job its very simple but just a bit tedious, cost me £43 for an ADL Bluprint Clutch the upgraded one and £18 for the Gear oil so £61 and about 4 hours of my time.

These cars a doddle to work on and all of them are very simple, Enjoy!

10 minutes ago, Aygoago! said:

To be honest with you guys I don't know why you're taking it to anyone.

It is the same with any repair - not everyone has the facilities, time, tools, knowledge, or inclination, etc, etc to do their own maintenance.

I can't be doing with a lot of mechanicing these days. OK I was used to having a proper garage lift a few years back, but now, no lift, no pit, no heating, so a lot less acceptable.