Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaving My Aygo

MSI64

Am going away for six months (not prison) and am wondering what to do with my Aygo?

Have come up with a few options but thought I might as well ask on here.

Do I disconnect the Battery and lock it in a garage for six months?? would I need to do anything else to it? or do I sell it and replace it when I get back, its a 57 plate with average mileage, just a bit afraid I wont get much for it and then there is the hassle of buying when I get back.

Anyone done this type of thing before all advice greatly recieved.

Cheers MSI64

Not sure but after 6 months your tyres may develop a bit of a flat spot... leave the car securely up on axle stands if you can. You could disconnect the Battery and keep the car in you garage, depending how secure it is.... not just from burglars but rats ect. because they would like to nibble things like wiring looms!

I shouldn't think you need to drain any fluids out for just six months apart from maybe the petrol? although as corrosive as it is I don't think it will do much damage in a modern car.

You should spray all the electrical contacts with WD40 or such like and anywhere else that may have any unwanted moisture like the door locks. Make sure the interior is really dry too you don't want to come back to damp. Finally... I wouldn't leave the handbrake on if you can help it, they tend to stick on.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Agree with the handbrake.

You MUST leave it off if the car is going to be stood for 6 months.

Also agree with the axle stands if it's practical.

If not, pump the tyres up to about 40 psi.

That will reduce the flat spots.

(Leave a note on the speedo to remind yourself about being in gear & the tyres).

Also agree with disconnecting the Battery. It's only a 30 second job with (from memory) a 10mm spanner.

Sounds like a bit of hassle but it's far less hassle than the selling / buying scenario.

Ian.

EDIT: Just had a thought. it's better if possible to take the car for a long run first.

That will fully charge the Battery & also clear any damp from the exhaust. (Preventing corrosion).

If you want to be REALLY pedantic, wedge the clutch pedal in the "down" position just in case of the rare

occurence of the plates sticking to the flywheel. That usually only happens if the car is put away after a very wet / damp journey.

Put a moisture absorber in the car when storing it. That will help keeping out the dampness in the interior too.