Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Mpg Are You Getting?

jazzyb88

Hi all,

Filled up my car the other day (1 litre) and the output after 123 miles was 71.4! Probably a little optimistic as I usually calculate it to be 60-65 average, but even on the last fill, it was 70+. Having said that, I filled up when the range said 30 miles - but I know the car will usually do a bit more than the range. In theory, this could be right because 123 miles + 30 = 153. Seeing as I put in 10 litres, that's about 69.6 mpg average.

Anyone else getting similar read outs? Bare in mind, motorway accounts for about 40 miles of the 123 and no, there were no crazy fuel-saving antics other than trying my best to maintain momentum and anticipating events ahead e.g. lights. Oh, and using Shell Fuelsaver :)

IMAG0043-1.jpg

Great car though! :thumbsup:

61mpg overall as calculated from fuels and miles.

Mostly town driving.

49.7 mpg at the moment. Which is not bad for a 1.3 petrol.

Averaging between computer readout and old fashioned way about 50 MPG. Still not done 1000 miles yet in 2 months from new! Must use up all that "free petrol". 1.33 T Spirit MMT.

PS MMT is very smooth. Mostly. Bit indecisive going up hill sometimes. Probably no more than any of us trying to be in the right gear out of six!

Regards. Pete.

My D4D just did a 550 miles on 37 litres :yahoo:

71mpg is very good, although the on-board mpg computer has a reputation for being randomly inaccurate :lol:

550 on 37 litres? That's very, very good! Pretty much 70mpg (accurately!)

Still, shows it is possible to beat the manufacturer's estimate of 56 on the combined cycle - for the small petrol anyway.

Thanks! :D

Mine is a diesel so it's not as impressive 'tho; I have to drive like a total nut to get anything less than 55! :lol: (Or be stuck in traffic FOR HOURS! :censor: :crybaby: )

The fact that the OP got about the same on the 1.0 petrol engine is very impressive tho' - Give those Aygo owners a run for their money! :lol:

The 1.3(3) is very difficult to get into that area tho'; I don't think I've seen one break 60mpg yet :(

Ugh this next tank is not going to be fun. :( Put in some Esso City Diesel; My god the car sounds like a van now!! :crybaby:

This is by far the noisiest fuel I've ever had in this car!

My current noise rankings are (from best to worst):

Shell V-Power -> Morrisons Biodiesel -> Shell Fuel Save, Sainbury's City Diesel -> Murco, Jet -> Esso City Diesel

I use Shell ordinary (and collect Shell card points). Our locallish Shell competes with Morrisons so is always cheap.. and the Yaris noise is minimal with it.

I've used others but Shell is fine..

my t sport seems to range from around 32-40, i tend to be a little heavy on the pedal at times im always taking it to around 4-4 1/2 K on the revs before changing. speaking of revs i know this is off topic but does anyone know what kind of regular revs the t sport it comfy with once warmed?

I use Shell ordinary (and collect Shell card points). Our locallish Shell competes with Morrisons so is always cheap.. and the Yaris noise is minimal with it.

I've used others but Shell is fine..

I normally bounce between Sainsburys and Shell, but my local Shell has been demolished (I really hope it's just for refurbishment as the next nearest V-Power diesel place is over 20 miles away!) so tried the Esso...

Corrr not getting anywhere near these MPGS. Had my 1.33 Tspirit since April covered approx 900 miles best i've got is 41mpg!

Any tips for better economy??

Corrr not getting anywhere near these MPGS. Had my 1.33 Tspirit since April covered approx 900 miles best i've got is 41mpg!

I'll be honest with you...I think some of my gains will have been down to luck e.g. leaving for work and sometimes never having to stop at any lights! Other days, every light will be red! I try to minimize delays by quickly checking for traffic ahead of my journeys or leaving at times when there is less traffic - not so much to do with fuel saving; just hate waiting around!

However, as I said before, I will always try to anticipate ahead and minimize the amount of braking necessary e.g. if the light ahead is red, I will lift off and coast (braking to slow if necessary, but try to keep momentum). More often than not, the lights will eventually go green and you can 'zoom' past all the other fools who race to the red light! I do appreciate that sometimes this can be difficult because you may encounter the odd driver who is flashing his lights behind you to go faster (only happened once in 6 months!) - but I've never seen the point if the light ahead is red! Also, if you travel a certain route frequently, you will begin to know the traffic light timings - some lights change quickly, others can be >3mins. For the longer ones, I just switch off (as long as the engine is warm at this point). I don't know how much this helps though.

Aside from that, I would say you should check your tyre pressure once a month - I tend to run them a little higher at 38 vs. the 32 Toyota suggests. Ride still seems okay to me, but might not suit everyone?

Try to use the highest gear possible without labouring - pretty general advice.

Suppose the other thing would be to check which oil you are using? Lighter grade the better - but if you're still within warranty, stick to what Toyota suggests to keep that valid.

That's pretty much it. :thumbsup:

If it's a new car, best mpg is when it's done 10k miles as then it will all be bedded in.

900 miles in 2 1/2 months.. car will never warm up. Surprised your consumption is as good as 41...

Hello James. 41 MPG does seem a bit low. My average at 1200 miles from new since May is 50+ MPG. Same car although MMT. Obviously I have no idea how you drive. That can be a major factor in consumption. I used to work in the car trade and car rental so my driving badly days are long gone and I don't really miss them either. 63 now! I now stick pretty much to all speed limits!

Are you working out your MPG the old fashioned way or just on the trip computer? Try both. 4.54 litres to the imperial gallon. Sorry if you know this already. Keep posting as it is interesting to know how others are getting on with their new cars.

Regards, Pete.

How about this for a tankful

mpg2.jpg

600 miles and 2 blobs left.

And that's after a Superchips conversion that does this

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/Yaris1.4d4d.pdf

30-50 in 3rd gear in 4.0 seconds flat and 70+ mpg, this is a cracking diesel engine. Best over a small distance of 50 miles or so is this

http://www.zen141854.zen.co.uk/mpg.jpg

On the latest tankful of juice after 150 miles I am doing 71, that's with a blast up to 70, certainly not 95, on the motorway home tonight.

Andy

If that's mostly motorway miles that's pretty good :thumbsup:

If that's mostly town driving that's smegging incredible! :eek:

Strangely my Yaris used to do 55-58mpg easily. Now I can only reach 49-50. It is 48 usually. I started writing down and adding up fuel-ups on fuelly.com

Heavily loaded on a motorway with 80mph (in EU) it does around 47. Nothing changed apart from adding a baby seat and a baby which can be 20kg alltogether, but it can't be it.

But 71 is a fantastic result. :toast: