Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Oil

headhurts

Recently had my first service and was told the oil they use is Mobil 1, on paying I asked for a 1 litre container of the oil used as a reminder and in case a top up is required.

I was given a container of Mobil super 3000 P formula.

The Mobile site recommends Mobil1 for my car a 2.0 litre D4d 2010 year car with DPF.

As yet I have not queried this with the service department but before I do perhaps some of the forum members with better knowledge of oils can advise on the difference between these oils both of which are 5W-30.

It may be they used Mobil1 but accidentally gave me the wrong container or maybe the oils are so similar that as a top up it does not matter, finally there are so many oils by each manufacturer that no wonder people get confused.

Recently had my first service and was told the oil they use is Mobil 1, on paying I asked for a 1 litre container of the oil used as a reminder and in case a top up is required.

I was given a container of mobil super 3000 P formula.

The Mobile site recommends Mobil1 for my car a 2.0 litre D4d 2010 year car with DPF.

As yet I have not queried this with the service department but before I do perhaps some of the forum members with better knowledge of oils can advise on the difference between these oils both of which are 5W-30.

It may be they used Mobil1 but accidentally gave me the wrong container or maybe the oils are so similar that as a top up it does not matter, finally there are so many oils by each manufacturer that no wonder people get confused.

Hi,

I use Mobil 1 ESP (5w-30) in my 2.2 T-180 as it meets the C2/C3 spec for the D-CAT and fuel economy. I'm not sure if the Mobil super 3000 P formula is a full or semi synth oil... I'm gonna have to tak a search for it I recon...

My mate "Acetip" might be along in a min as he's knows quite alot about the Super 3000 oils :thumbsup:

Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30

Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30 is a synthetic high-performance low ash engine oil designed to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of the Exhaust Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles.

The above is from the Mobil site so looks to be synthetic oil.

I wonder what the difference is between that and the ESP oil in terma of TBN and flash point numbers?

I see from the links that it would seem that the ESP has better specs that the Super 3000 in terms of the Flash point but the specs on the 3000 doesn't give the Viscosity Index for some reason...

when i took my auris in for its first service in my ownership,the dealer was using Castrol magnatic professionel oil.as not being all that keen on Castrol,after a problem many years ago of the wrong grade in a can i purchased.i took my own can of Mobil esp for them to use.

it was only after the service was done that i was told they no longer used the Castrol but changed to the Mobil 3000 5w 30 p grade. aftr checking the many Mobil i and 3000 range i would have been happy to have had the oil they used.though my engine is a petrol vvti,i sure the the 3000 p grade would be a good choice if my engine had been a diesel.many toyota dealers are using this 3000 grade,though the oil these dealers use is their choice,as long as it meets the toyota spec.

I use the 3000 on mine as it has no dpf. Halfords often have 20% off on it too.

which Mobil 3000? there are several different ones in their 3000 grades.

the 3000 p is C2, so ok for DPFs

It all depend on the standarts that are requered for the car. This is for all cars. The main standarts that toyota asks in a motor oil are API and ACEA. You could look for the HTHS Viscosity and Sulfated Ash values too but they are appart from the ACEA standart. After that you could look for the SAE values, but they are regionally specific. So look for those specific standarts and if they are met, you could calm down. Of course there could be better oils from that but this one should be enough. Next time you could ask for other, that you thing is better.

as i said that the oi was develped for ford engines but it is also suitable for many engines.

when i had my two mondeos i used a morris oil that was the exact speec as the Mobil fe.the 25 ltr drum was labled for ford engines and had the latest at the time ford spec numbers.when i got my auris 1,6 vvti i rang morris to check if this oil was suitable for the engine,i was told it would do no harm but they could not recommend it.

ive noticed that the fe oil does not mentions C2 or C3 which is required for a DPF.but then some fords have DPFs

did anyone notice what Halfords a charging on the previous post link,for Mobil esp, £64.99 for 5 ltrs

you can get 2 x 5 ltr cans delivered for less than that on eBay.what a rip off.

It all depend on the standarts that are requered for the car. This is for all cars. The main standarts that toyota asks in a motor oil are API and ACEA. You could look for the HTHS Viscosity and Sulfated Ash values too but they are appart from the ACEA standart. After that you could look for the SAE values, but they are regionally specific. So look for those specific standarts and if they are met, you could calm down. Of course there could be better oils from that but this one should be enough. Next time you could ask for other, that you thing is better.

Or you could just pop into your dealer and buy 5 litres of semi synthetic 5w 30 and Bobs you uncle, job done :thumbsup:

Kingo :thumbsup:

How much kingo?

I'd only use a full synth oil in my car like Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. But thats just me. You can pick up 5ltr of brand new sealed oil off eBay (Like I did) for £26 delivered. :thumbsup:

The Mobil oil meets ACEA: A1 B1. The API is SL, rather then the recommended CF-4 or CF

I just rechecked, and SL is for

For all automotive engines presently

in use. Introduced July 1, 2001.

SL oils are designed to provide better

high-temperature deposit control and

lower oil consumption. Some of these

oils may also meet the latest ILSAC

specification and/or qualify as Energy

Conserving.

while CF-4 is for

Introduced in 1990. For high-speed, four-stroke,

naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines.

Can be used in place of CD and CE oils.

while CF is for

Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirectinjected

and other diesel engines including

those using fuel with over 0.5% weight sulfur.

Can be used in place of CD oils.

Some of you fellas

Really tickle me when you go on and scrutinise every single word that is posted about engine oil

with comments like ...that oil is for fords .....vauxhall, blah ,blah ,blah

Cant you see that we are being totally ripped off by the Engine Manufacturer and the Subsequent Oil Companies

There's a very good article I was reading regarding ... Fully Synthetic and Standard Mineral Oils that were used in a fleet of New York cabs

Equal numbers in both cases ...all used for the same purposes and doing specific mileages ...then the engines were stripped and inspected for wear

What was the difference in the engine wear??.......NONE

Last year I ran my 2.2 Avensis Diesel on 5-30w semi synthetic oil ....brand ASDA....How is my motor this year?? ANSWER:- Absolutely fine..

Its getting an oil change next week with 5-30w Castrol Magnatec Fully Synthetic.. simply because it was cheaper on offer in TESCO .. Than ASDA's own Brand

What has happened to the motor Industry when consumers are being forced to pay ridiculous amounts of money just for Engine oil

simply because the Manufactures say we must have this ,that and the other in the engine oil??

I wouldn't be surprised if most engine oils are mass produced and simply branded into different containers

How much kingo?

Have a look at this...

eBay

Item number: 220811879181

Genuine Toyota Oil 5w-30 5w 30 - 5 Litres 5L Fully Syn £19.99 or

GENUINE TOYOTA 5W30 ENGINE OIL (X2 FIVE LITRE BOTTLES) £9.99 eBay Item number: 190555297406

:thumbsup:

Some of you fellas

Really tickle me when you go on and scrutinise every single word that is posted about engine oil

with comments like ...that oil is for fords .....vauxhall, blah ,blah ,blah

Cant you see that we are being totally ripped off by the Engine Manufacturer and the Subsequent Oil Companies

There's a very good article I was reading regarding ... Fully Synthetic and Standard Mineral Oils that were used in a fleet of New York cabs

Equal numbers in both cases ...all used for the same purposes and doing specific mileages ...then the engines were stripped and inspected for wear

What was the difference in the engine wear??.......NONE

Last year I ran my 2.2 Avensis Diesel on 5-30w semi synthetic oil ....brand ASDA....How is my motor this year?? ANSWER:- Absolutely fine..

Its getting an oil change next week with 5-30w Castrol Magnatec Fully Synthetic.. simply because it was cheaper on offer in TESCO .. Than ASDA's own Brand

What has happened to the motor Industry when consumers are being forced to pay ridiculous amounts of money just for Engine oil

simply because the Manufactures say we must have this ,that and the other in the engine oil??

I wouldn't be surprised if most engine oils are mass produced and simply branded into different containers

A lot of what you say I'd go along with. Many of the major players produce engine oils for the likes of Tesco's and Asda's ect. The trick is to know who does what for who so you can go and buy the same oil at a fraction of the cost because its in a Tesco's bottle. I, for one haven't got a problem with picking up such a bottle with Asda oil printed on it if I know its the same oil as Mobil stick in there tin's. Tesco's oil use to be made by Texaco and Shell make the Quantum oil for (VAG group) VW/Audi/Skoda ect.

I do not believe however that a mineral oil can protect an engine in the same way as something like a double Ester oil (such as Motul 300V) could. The mineral oils will break down there chemical bonds much earlier than a Synth oil will and at lower temps so the afforded engine protction will be diminished. I would like to see the oil analysis that was done to compare the mineral v synth. :g:

But its a personal choice at the end of the day. I sleep well at night knowing I've got one of the best oils sitting in the sump of my engine. And if you can buy Mobil 1 ESP for £26 delivered (£18 if you picked up) its got to be worth it for 5ltr. After all, oil is the life blood of you're engine.

My driving school car has always been run on Castrol EDGE (507 00 spec) from day one. It has almost 200k (Serviced 6-8k) on the clock and still as sweet as a nut. Some years ago I had a Corsa 1.5D (Serviced 6-8k) which was run on Tesco's mineral oil (Texaco) and after 80k it started to sound like a tank.

I wouldn't use a mineral oil in my second hand lawn mower!... Well not really! As mine has Mobil 1 in it which makes it the fastest mower in the street! Lol... ;) :bye:

i should think the taxi fleets in New YORk or any large city are running 24/7 are hardly cooling down which pretty good for any engine.but they are not eactly being stressed by high speed running.and as being normaly asperated engine the oil in them is not subjected to the high temps of a turbo.if you put a basic mineral oil in a turbo engine then your asking for trouble,and will get it.

• Like 1

All oils have just gone up massivly in price, our genuine pack oils have gone up over £6 for a 5 litre can (at cost)

We sell our 5w 30 semi for £18 plus VAT (5 litre)

Kingo :thumbsup:

i should think the taxi fleets in New YORk or any large city are running 24/7 are hardly cooling down which pretty good for any engine.but they are not eactly being stressed by high speed running.and as being normaly asperated engine the oil in them is not subjected to the high temps of a turbo.if you put a basic mineral oil in a turbo engine then your asking for trouble,and will get it.

Totally agree with you on this point mate. Turbo charged engines (Diesel or Petrol) have extream loads place on a lot of the moving parts. So its wise to use a synth oil in my view with the correct specs/grade that the manufacture suggests. Only a fool would put a mineral oil in an engine. But hey... Its not my engine so I'd let anyone carry on and see how long the engine would last! Not that long I'd bet as the oil turns to sludge and the Black death takes over!...:thumbsup:

Yes i do agree i would no more put a cheap brand of mineral oil in my 2.2 diesel

but with regards to the Asda /Tesco own brands either Semi or Fully synth i would certainly use

The problem with the 2.2 is that while you get offers for 5lts of oil the 2.2 always needs 6lts

and that 6th one is always the most expensive

BTW i paid £25.50 for the Magnatec a few weeks back by buying 3x2lts bottles at £8.50 @ 2lts bottle

yesterday in Asda 1lts of the magnatec was £8.50... their own fully synthetic was £20 @5lts so with the extra 1lts at £8.00 for 2lts

its a lot cheaper...than the magnatec

I always check the main supermarkets for their oil offers....it can save you a good few pounds

Yes i do agree i would no more put a cheap brand of mineral oil in my 2.2 diesel

but with regards to the Asda /Tesco own brands either Semi or Fully synth i would certainly use

The problem with the 2.2 is that while you get offers for 5lts of oil the 2.2 always needs 6lts

and that 6th one is always the most expensive

BTW i paid £25.50 for the Magnatec a few weeks back by buying 3x2lts bottles at £8.50 @ 2lts bottle

yesterday in Asda 1lts of the magnatec was £8.50... their own fully synthetic was £20 @5lts so with the extra 1lts at £8.00 for 2lts

its a lot cheaper...than the magnatec

I always check the main supermarkets for their oil offers....it can save you a good few pounds

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links