Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Great Egr Experiment :d

antecedo

Will the BG244 do its job?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What condition will the EGR valve be in after the BG244?

• clean as a whistle!!
    • mostly clean - no clogging
    • cleaned a bit - still signs of clogging
    • noticeably cleaned - but still clogged
    • nothing (not cleaned at all)

So! I have taken delivery of my 2007 Toyota Auris T180.

It has done about 46000 miles and the EGR valve is probably all clogged up!

My plan - if you guys think it will be useful is to take a video of the EGR valve dismantling and subsequently its condition then replace it, WITHOUT CLEANING.

This sounds silly, but this is where the experiment comes into play! I will then put a can of BG244 into a full tank of V power derv and drive as normal(motorway and rural as well as some urban driving).

After the diesel has all been used I will then document the condition of the EGR valve again, noting the difference - if clogged I will clean it too, if not then I know the 244 is doing its job! :D

what you guys think? Useful?

Grant.

So! I have taken delivery of my 2007 Toyota Auris T180.

It has done about 46000 miles and the EGR valve is probably all clogged up!

My plan - if you guys think it will be useful is to take a video of the EGR valve dismantling and subsequently its condition then replace it, WITHOUT CLEANING.

This sounds silly, but this is where the experiment comes into play! I will then put a can of BG244 into a full tank of V power derv and drive as normal(motorway and rural as well as some urban driving).

After the diesel has all been used I will then document the condition of the EGR valve again, noting the difference - if clogged I will clean it too, if not then I know the 244 is doing its job! :D

what you guys think? Useful?

Grant.

Now that is brilliant mate. I'd love to see a vid on how the BG244 and the V-Power works. But how bout doing one just with the BG244 and normal derv so we can see if its the BG244 or the V-Power doing the job. And maybe someone who uses "Normal" derv could change to V-Power and do a similar one on a b4 and after? Maybe 3 tank fulls or a milage? I'd do it but mine has always run on V-Power an BG244 plus Millers Diesel Clean, so just wouldn't work...:thumbsup:

Sounds like my car is on the Steriods after I read that back! lol :pepsi::robot:

before you do this i would recomend getting the engine checked by a toyota dealer to make sure it doesnt need a new engine.....yip a new engine we used to rebuild them but now we get new engines...the egr cloggs up due to the piston rings..

before you do this i would recomend getting the engine checked by a toyota dealer to make sure it doesnt need a new engine.....yip a new engine we used to rebuild them but now we get new engines...the egr cloggs up due to the piston rings..

Thats a good point mate :thumbsup:

How does it differ with the engines that will be fitted to cars now over the one I had fitted in mine? Will they be the same things replaced? The bill for mine was just over £6500...

itll be the same as the one you got fitted mate..it saves them money sending a complete engine a rebuild costs them around 30 hours labour..

the engine swap is 12 hours but the quickest ones been done at the work is 5.5 hours

itll be the same as the one you got fitted mate..it saves them money sending a complete engine a rebuild costs them around 30 hours labour..

the engine swap is 12 hours but the quickest ones been done at the work is 5.5 hours

Thats good news mate :thumbsup:

5.5 hours takes some doing! Thats on hell of a tech to do it in that time :yes::clap:

Sorry, I don't really understand... Why would I need a new engine? I just bought it approved second hand Toyota from the Toyota dealer. Do you really think I should take it to another dealer first to get it checked out?

Scared me a little! @ least i have warranty :D!

As per post #2 I will do the test on regular derv. (good idea!)

Grant

**EDIT**

OK I think I understand this now - if my EGR valve is all clogged up, I should take it to a Toyota dealer and ask if the engine needs replaced?

Just a quick question for you mate. When the tech removed the gearbox would they have drained it down? I'm guessing/hoping not as I changed that oil for Silkolen Pro 75 ester racing oil! :thumbsup:

OK!

I have checked my EGR valve and made the videos the valve was heavily clogged, the central hole was visible and the right hole was open about 5mm. The left hole was completely blocked.

I will have the video up as soon as I edit it together, What I want to know is, should I take the car to Toyota to make sure it does not need a new engine?

Grant.

OK!

I have checked my EGR valve and made the videos the valve was heavily clogged, the central hole was visible and the right hole was open about 5mm. The left hole was completely blocked.

I will have the video up as soon as I edit it together, What I want to know is, should I take the car to Toyota to make sure it does not need a new engine?

Grant.

Well if Toyota changed a diesel engine every time the EGR valve got clogged up then I am sure they would be bankrupt by now, and do I take it the BG244 did not work? so glad I voted correctly as IMO does not matter what fuel or additives you use it is inevitable the EGR will clog up just like the fact you have to eat.

Hey - I have not tried it yet!

I was just checking it WAS clogged before i put the additive in :D I will let you guys know when I have edited the first video and again when I make the second video.

Thanks!

Grant

I'd be interested to see if the BG244 actually cleans the injector.

My gut feeling is, it won't.

Like Rick says, they will clog up eventually anyway, but i think a decent brand of fuel slows down the clogging, rather than cleaning it up.

I guess we will see soon enough once you have run your car on a tank with BG244 in it.

OK!

Grant.

I'm really loking forward to seeing this vid. But I would 1st take the car into Mr T to let them have a look see at it as Ormi said. As others have said it maybe nothing! but better safe than sorry mate. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to see if the BG244 actually cleans the injector.

My gut feeling is, it won't.

Like Rick says, they will clog up eventually anyway, but i think a decent brand of fuel slows down the clogging, rather than cleaning it up.

I guess we will see soon enough once you have run your car on a tank with BG244 in it.

I think Davey that it will do a very good job on cleaning the injectors. But a lesser job on the EGR valve. Cany wait to see the results :thumbsup:

I chose mostly clean as I am crossing my fingers for the product - plus then I can use it every 7-10k and know that my engine is clean. So I really hope it works! :)

Grant.

Hey antecedo,

You have a great idea and something that will help all of us owners. I cannot wait to see the results of your experiment.

A friend has just put a load of BG44 in his 2.0 tdi Leon and there appears to be a significant change in fuel consumption indicated by the computer. However, the test is not yet complete and we are waiting for this result.

Question: By using two additives, VPower and BG44 you will not have a definitive answer as to which one is doing the most cleaning. But, obviously you do nnot want to run the experiment twice!!!!

Thanks for the effort and please post the results.

Krait

Hey antecedo,

You have a great idea and something that will help all of us owners. I cannot wait to see the results of your experiment.

A friend has just put a load of BG44 in his 2.0 tdi Leon and there appears to be a significant change in fuel consumption indicated by the computer. However, the test is not yet complete and we are waiting for this result.

Question: By using two additives, VPower and BG44 you will not have a definitive answer as to which one is doing the most cleaning. But, obviously you do nnot want to run the experiment twice!!!!

Thanks for the effort and please post the results.

Krait

Hope your mate hasn't put BG44(K?) in his TDi as that is for the Petrol engine motors. Do you mean BG244? :thumbsup:

No additive will directly clean the EGR as it never gets there.

It could help tho', as cleaner burning fuel means less microscopic soot to build-up in the EGR. That, along with a long gentle motorway cruise, will send lots of cleaner air through the EGR and hopefully blast away some of the soot deposits.

(Or if it's already stuck open, a long motorway thrash :lol:)

Thanks for the correction mistermena. The recommendation came from my son as he is the car fanatic. I just remember the bg 44 part as I am waiting for a result before I use the stuff.

I am a born cynic about all these magic fuel saving devices, most of which have fallen by the wayside after netting a lot of money for the clever marketing and losing a lot of money for the punters. Copper catalysts, magnetic devices - to name just two.

cheers

Krait

Thanks for the correction mistermena. The recommendation came from my son as he is the car fanatic. I just remember the bg 44 part as I am waiting for a result before I use the stuff.

I am a born cynic about all these magic fuel saving devices, most of which have fallen by the wayside after netting a lot of money for the clever marketing and losing a lot of money for the punters. Copper catalysts, magnetic devices - to name just two.

cheers

Krait

I think a lot of the "Snake oils" really dont work at all. I've used so many in the past myself, but I think the only one that really does what it says on the tin (For a diesel anyway) is the BG244. The likes of Forte, STP and others (That contain PTFE) are a waste of money in my view. But I think this test may well find that out I hope :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well boys and girls the experiment is over!!!

1 full can of BG244 and regular Shell fuelsave later i can reveal that the BG244 did........

absolutely nothing!

I ended up just cleaning the EGR valve with a 5p toothbrush from sainsburys, 2 screwdrivers (one large one small and a teaspoon to scoop out most of the crap.

I do have the videos - but there is really no point in me putting them up - there is not even a slight difference in the amount of clogging

well at least I can sleep easy knowing my injectors care clean ;) :D

If users think it would be useful I will put up the first video on how to take apart the EGR valve for cleaning? But its really quite self explanatory :s

Grant.

Hey Grant,

Well done, but what a disappointment!!. I'm sure a lot of us were hoping for some dramatic result. But just goes to show that you must not believe all the hypes and promises that manufacturers ut out.

I may still use the petrol version just to check it out because the Leon 2.0tdi test is going quite well just for mpg.

Thanks for your efforts.

Krait

Hiya mate,

Many thanks for taking the time to do the test and posting your findings :thumbsup:

Well that is a suprise that it didn't do anything at all! I'm not sure if the site (Powerenhancers) says that its a 1 treatment wonder juice or it has to be done more than once! But I'll take a look on there now. Might be an idea to contact them and tell them what you're findings are. Maybe its just a case of using high grade Derv that helps the EGR valve keep a little cleaner? but I did find that my EGR had just a light velvet sooting on it rathr than the baked on carbon that I've seen on posts here.

But again... This could be down to the V-Power derv rather that the BG244!:blink:

Well boys and girls the experiment is over!!!

1 full can of BG244 and regular shell fuelsave later i can reveal that the BG244 did........

absolutely nothing!

Antecedo, good effort with the experiment. I'd never heard of this BG44 / 244 product but went on their website to check it out.

They do make alot of claims on there, one of which and I quote "A Clogged EGR System?"

Are you going to e-mail them for a refund? I would, as a bitterly dissapointed customer. :angry: :lol2:

I run V-Power diesel all the time and cleaned my EGR about 10000 miles ago, I think it's time for another look in the EGR to check on it's state and I still might give a can of BG244 a blast! :D

Well done.

* * UPDATED * * 1 x can of BG244 ordered. :D

But again... This could be down to the V-Power derv rather that the BG244!:blink:

This is very likely; The V-Power derv really does burn incredibly cleanly. I know several people who use it if they're worried their vehicles might fail the emissions part of the MOT :lol:

As for a video, videos are always welcome! :clap:

Feel free to make amusing commentary :lol:

I just filled my ickle Yaris with V-Power... sooo much smoother and quieter than the Esso crud I put in it last month! :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links