Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E11 Lightening / Performance Modification Options?

So I bought a G6R

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what options I have for lightening my G6R and improving the performance with changes that can be easily reversed and carried out by someone not very mechanically minded (me)?

The ideas I've got so far:

Easy

----

Removing all sound-deadening from carpeting (not sure this would make much difference)

Getting rid of my subwoofer (can't see this happening!)

Remove space-saver front wheel and get a tyre-weld can instead - I have AA membership, not that I ever use it.

Not so easy

-----------

Performance exhaust (NOT interested in anything louder than standard though!)

New air filter combination

Removing the air-con (I never use it anyway)

Perspex sunroof (use this a lot so don't want to remove it)

Anything else I could consider? I'm not interested in engine swaps etc. as I don't have the money to burn on this one, much as I love the car?

Cheers!

To be fair I would say to get the biggest gains in terms of lightness you need to remove the seats etc - but I'm guessing this is something you may be unwilling to do in terms of practicality? If you just remove bits here and there you may not notice any difference? You already have an ally bonnet - which is nice!

There's a fair few induction kits available for the 4afe - I would get the Green personally... Any exhaust that is less restrictive is generally gonna be louder than standard - maybe just get a new genuine one? there is a sports cat available for yours and mine!

I understand your position though, in-between full on track / fast road use ie ripping everything out or keeping it practical - stuck in the middle! Best of luck!

strip out everything except the drivers seat and steering wheel :yahoo: did it in my first fez and it made a huge difference and its totally free and can be put back anytime :thumbsup: . removing the air-con is ok but a lot of work removing pipes to do it properly but dont expect huge gains, sunroof would be the best idea as its a lot of weight up high ruining the centre of gravity, and the exhaust you may as well leave if you dont want it any louder at all, the whole point of a performance exhaust is to allow the gases to escape quicker so to do this you get rid of the baffles, less baffle = more noise, unless you get a custom built one with slightly less baffles than the oe one but it will still be a bit louder than normal and a air filter on its own is just noise more than anything imo :thumbsup:

I've been in this situation before with an old Peugeot 205GTI I had, I took everything out, roof lining, door cards (replaced with carbon panels), carpets etc. I replaced the front seats with cobra seats as that saved weight. I removed the spare wheel, and then set about taking out nuts and bolts I didn't need. Some £7k later and I decided to move on from the project lol..

As for your GR6 there's lots of little things that can go, i.e remove the rear window wiper arm and motor, empty out all of the stuff in your car you don't need.. I still have my spare wheel in mine, but I also carry a can of tyre-weld. I would ask myself what type of performance are you looking for, I have found more speed from sorting the stopping and handling of my cars, i.e polly bushes, new springs and shocks, uprated mounts along with some super sticky tyres.

However if you want that push back in the seat feeling when you pull away, well as I am finding out, it's looking likely that an engine change would be needed.. :crybaby:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments - I knew there'd be others that had similar thoughts!

I think the spare wheel is a given - its gotta be 15-20kg of weight saving instantly. Seats I don't want to lose although I do find the rear seat squab a bit of a waste of time when I'm folding down the rear seats as it gets in the way. I don't think this would shed much weight though, and I need the rest of them!

Air filter - this is interesting as I thought changing this would bring a guaranteed improvement, interesting that it doesn't. The induction kit - this is the same thing isn't it? (please excuse my ignorance)....

Exhaust - I'm really not into the whole performance (ie loud) thing so I guess will have to stick with stock. I would like to hear someone else's exhaust that has gone down the performance route to see how loud (or hopefully not) it is but there's precious few rolla's round my way and no modified one's I've seen yet, apart from the white TTE replica I glimpsed a few months ago and haven't seen since :-<

Rear wiper and motor - does this really weigh much? I do like the practicality of it a bit ;)

Anyway, thanks for your input guys - I'd be interested to see what you've done/have seen done?

why bother with all this so call weight reduction?????

why remove trims, seat, wheels, sunroof, aircon, etc etc., You bought a G6 because it is a Toyota, keep it that way and enjoy the reliability and comfort.

If you did remove all of the above then I bet it would gain about 0.5 secs at most in the 0-60 times, such a small amount IMHO, and then you would be driving about in a noisey, ugly tin can.

My son has a G6, great little car, so keep it that way

Just my tuppence worth.

• Like 1

to get any real perfomrance increases if you put a direct feed air filter you will want to get the car remapped after wich will force more petrol through the system more fuel more power but its hard to get a mix between performance and fuel economy

more fuel does not mean more power, you need the air in there as well.

a remap on an unmodded 4EF is a waste of time, money and expectations, if you want performance gains you need to spend some serious money or get a faster car, sounds harsh but true

i did say put a direct air feed on so the remap will force more air ajd petrol through or if you dont want noisy exhaust you can get a apexi ws2 one of the quitest exhaust with perfomance upgrades and yes a remap is exspensive but is a different type of modification i was mearly suggesting

Thanks guys.

The Apexi seems to be for everything else Japanese other than the Rolla and seems to come from the USA only. Are there any UK available equivalents?

Has anyone fitted a quiet performance exhaust to their E11 and if so what was it?

Cheers

i have a universal performance exhaust its not to loud below 3000 revs so when traveling below 35ish completely quite then over 3000 revs is louder and raspier theres anothert exhaust wich is quite its called a fujitsbo something its really hard to find direct fit back boxes or complete exhaust i found so went with universal and has it welded today so went for a little tunnel run have you tried hks or blitz exhaust but prepared to be annoyed in the search as i was

I haven't found any exhausts so far that haven't been big-bore bruisers/been in the USA.

There seem to be quite a few different options for Honda Civics but not many for rolla's unfortunately :-<

• 1 month later...

Ive got a custom exhaust on my G6R, it's not too loud or intrusive but does give a nice sound. Have a look on YouTube, search for corolla G6R and it should be the second one down.

G6R interior weight (weighed on bathroom scales);

Space saver spare - 11Kg

CD changer - 2Kg

Front seats - 15.3Kg each

Rear bench and both folding backs - 24Kg

Boot quarter panels incl speaker N/S - 2.7Kg

O/S - 2.3Kg

Rear door cards - Less than kilo each (guesstimate)

Carpet incl sound deadening - 15Kg (guesstimate)

I've still got rear seat brackets and seatbelts fitted, that's got to be another 10Kg ish

G6R interior weight (weighed on bathroom scales);

Space saver spare - 11Kg

CD changer - 2Kg

Front seats - 15.3Kg each

Rear bench and both folding backs - 24Kg

Boot quarter panels incl speaker N/S - 2.7Kg

O/S - 2.3Kg

Rear door cards - Less than kilo each (guesstimate)

Carpet incl sound deadening - 15Kg (guesstimate)

I've still got rear seat brackets and seatbelts fitted, that's got to be another 10Kg ish

surprising how much it all weighs! you removing much else? i love the feel of a really light car :thumbsup:

i stripped my interior "all the way down" and added lightweight front seats, and after driving like this for almost 2 years i can honestly say that its not worth it

alot of noise and it didn`t really handle or accelerate loads better

i think if you are going to go down this road you have to go all the way: remove dash, fiberglass bodyparts, AC, servo, lightweight wheels, no carpets or sound dampening, carbon/fiberglass front seats ect....ect..7

i stripped my interior "all the way down" and added lightweight front seats, and after driving like this for almost 2 years i can honestly say that its not worth it

i think if you are going to go down this road you have to go all the way: remove dash, fiberglass bodyparts, AC, servo, lightweight wheels, no carpets or sound dampening, carbon/fiberglass front seats ect....ect..7

Do you use your car as your daily driver?

Do you use your car as your daily driver?

yes but only in the spring/summer , it gets stored in the winter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links