Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V6 Engine Conversion

woodsport

Hi, i'm new here, has anyone ever converted a 95 Rav4 to V6 in the Uk or indeed the world?

I ask because i just did and retained all of the 2WD/4WD switching etc, just wondering if it's old news or something new.

Thanks.

Hi, i'm new here, has anyone ever converted a 95 Rav4 to V6 in the Uk or indeed the world?

I ask because i just did and retained all of the 2WD/4WD switching etc, just wondering if it's old news or something new.

Thanks.

welcome along, there is a guy on here with a 3sgte converted rav un sure if a v6 one has ever been done though :thumbsup:

Thanks! Yeah i read about the 3s-gte powered one, but there doesn't seem to be much info on V6 converted ones, i think it might just be the first time it's been done.

I'll post some pics up of it on Monday.

You have 3s-gte Corolla in your profile, i built one of those a while back, an AE101 i think it was, !Removed! scary ride that one!

Thanks! Yeah i read about the 3s-gte powered one, but there doesn't seem to be much info on V6 converted ones, i think it might just be the first time it's been done.

You have 3s-gte Corolla in your profile, i built one of those a while back, an AE101 i think it was, !Removed! scary ride that one!

A project like that should be reported step by step.

Look forward to viewing the photographs :)

Well i usually do very indepth step by step write ups on all my builds, but i only bought it 6 days ago and just decided i would turn it out in record time, i had the 3s-fe on the floor 3 hours after arriving home :)

It had its complications but we managed to get everything hooked up and working.

I'll post pics soon.

Hi

I have 2 1994 3 door RAVs - both with 3SGTE at different stages of tuning.

I'd looked at the V6 but discounted it as the 3SGTE has more tuning kit available and a longer racing history. For what I wanted, power to weight ratio was important.

Well done tho in doing the V6 conversion.... Its probably the only one in the UK but I think I read that theres another 1 or 2 ....you find most of the conversions in Australia/NZ with a small handful in USA. Mensajero on another rav4world forum has also been doing a fair bit of work on his. And as the RAV finds its way into South America and other countries, then people are experimenting more.

The box on these is good for at least 400hp as is the transmission train. Of course you need a different clutch.

And you'll know that the V6 was a standard fit in the USA.

was it a yellow corolla over in ireland?

Hi Bothwell, yeah i can see how easy it would be to stick a 3s-gte in there and i bet they absolutely fly! We have worked extensively with that engine in the past shoehorning them into Mk1 Mr2s and Corollas, very easy to tune and a well proven upgrade path with lots of aftermarket toys. For me though i'm a V6 head, i love the torque and the sound, no forced induction needed, but it was a nightmare to get that transfer box past the block.

Good to know it's the only UK one, have you got any links to the other V6 Rav4s that were built elsewhere?

John, yep Dara's yellow Corolla from Ireland, featured in Banzai, that was one of ours.

Hi Bothwell, yeah i can see how easy it would be to stick a 3s-gte in there and i bet they absolutely fly! We have worked extensively with that engine in the past shoehorning them into Mk1 Mr2s and Corollas, very easy to tune and a well proven upgrade path with lots of aftermarket toys. For me though i'm a V6 head, i love the torque and the sound, no forced induction needed, but it was a nightmare to get that transfer box past the block.

Good to know it's the only UK one, have you got any links to the other V6 Rav4s that were built elsewhere?

John, yep Dara's yellow Corolla from Ireland, featured in Banzai, that was one of ours.

thought so,i seen some pics of it looked a nice and neat conversion looking forward to seeing the rav.

Thanks John, we put a lot of effort into our conversions, you can see some of our stuff here www.woodsport.org

Pics of the RaV6 coming soon and maybe a video or two.

Just realized i had a couple of crappy iPhone pics from midway through the install, no plenum on yet and not much hooked up at this point, snug fit or what!

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

I went through my bookmarked pages and couldn't find anything definite about a V6 RAV conversion before.

I guess you must have the first then !! Well done :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished product. :drool:

Hi Bothwell, are there any issues running the Mk1 rav4 in 4wd above certain speeds or on dry roads etc especially with bigger engines fitted? I've read a few things and not sure if it applies to the Mk1 or not.

Some update pics, plenum on and almost everything attached now... here is the engine mount i needed to make, two parts, a chassis part and engine part.

DSCN1564.jpg

DSCN1567.jpg

DSCN1568.jpg

DSCN1569.jpg

That clutch cylinder been moved into the bulkhead slightly?

On the diff lock mode, the book recommends 50mph. I use the diff lock on the qtr miles as the front always lifts off.... and have no bother with that up to 110+. Come to the corners on the track, its fine unless going slow on a tight corner. However for normal road driving on dry roads then I'd not use it as the steering is heavier and the tyres scrub slightly.

Fine using on wet and icy roads though.

The guys at the garage up here were telling me about one of your V6 MR2 conversions - nice neat build they said.

Thanks for that mate, i was concerned about damaging the 4x4 system.

I had to rotate the clutch master reservoir 90* to clear the plenum, no biggy.

Thanks for that mate, i was concerned about damaging the 4x4 system.

I had to rotate the clutch master reservoir 90* to clear the plenum, no biggy.

Interesting. We sunk the cylinder into the bulkhead by just less than 1".

Hello Woodsport, there can't be many v6 Camry's left on the road with your world domination of V6's into MR2'S and Celica's :lol: great to see the conversion being done on the RAV4,look forward to the sound track on a Youtube clip soon :)

Bob.

Yes we chatted on the Celica-Club forum, when you done the first gen6 conversion for a member :thumbsup:

Ah yes that's right! Thought i recognized the name, yes camrys are harder to get these days, i reckon i'm responsible for recycling a good few hundred now :)

Would be great if you could get the same exhaust sound out of this conversion as you did with the Black mr2 road test on youtube, the one with the camera strapped to the engine cover.

That'll be the plan! Tomorrow should see the exhaust completed, and pretty much the whole thing driveable so we shall see.... i'll post a utube vid.

Paul, this RAV4 conversion, can it be done to the automatic model as well ?

Yes and no, the mechanicals will fit, so there will be no problem getting the Rav4 autobox onto the V6, but after that getting the V6 Ecu to talk to the new gearbox would be a nightmare, or if you used the original Rav4 Ecu to control the gearbox you would need it to talk to the V6 Ecu for timing !Removed! shift points etc.

It's "possible" but not something i'd like to tackle in a hurry due to the electrical issues involved.