Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Air Con Be Retro Fitted ?

WAYNEOLEEDS

i decided not to have air con but want it now!!

Open a window?

Not being in any way technical I suspect that it would be easier (but less desirable) to have a sunroof fitted than to try to retrofit airconditioning.... No doubt others may know better :)

It IS possible, as some members of the Dutch forum have done so, but it is no small feat.

It requires placing all the bits, replacing a wiring loom, cutting holes in the firewall and

to fit some of the pieces you need to remove the ENTIRE dashboard!

OK ..............

Maybe i wont then !!! :blink: LOL

might just stick to the window opening scenario ! :)

i decided not to have air con but want it now!!

I think you'll find you can. There is a kit on eBay that might work!

Toyota Yaris Aircon Kit Genuine Toyota ( Item number: 330590757133) Contact the main dealer and see if it will. This kit is NEW and has been offered b4 on eBay at a start price of £100 but no one bid on it! Start price is £50 with no bids todate. :thumbsup:

Yaris Kit? Will that work on an Aygo??

Proably won't work: different piping, different engine bay, different heaterbox...

I never understood people opting not to buy A/C. OK our cliamte here in the UK isn't 'hot' - but A/C is much more than that. Personally, I would never entertain buying a car w/o A/C, like ABS, PAS and the like.

I never understood people opting not to buy A/C. OK our cliamte here in the UK isn't 'hot' - but A/C is much more than that. Personally, I would never entertain buying a car w/o A/C, like ABS, PAS and the like.

well it was 500 quid .. when i ordered the car and considering that 500 is a fair amount of money and doesnt really do much to add value to a car at resale i opted against it.

hope you understand now ?

I never use my Aircon..... its too cold in the UK to need it. Just a pain to have it on all the time just to make sure it carries on working. You would be better off selling the car and buying one with Aircon.

Not to get into a aircon debate, but aircon does not just blow cold air! So to say its to cold in the uk to use it........ you can have it on with you heater setting high and the air will be hot! Aircon is very useful to dehumidify the car. It takes away the steamed up windows when it rains, it clearers the screen much faster in the winter. I leave mine on all the time, I still vary the temp if its to cold or hot. I would not be without it.

Yeah mate, not everyone is as rich as you ihpj :P

That's the problem with speccing up stuff tho' - It quickly adds up and you quickly get that Erk feeling as the numbers start climbing!

VW's are among the worst as they come with *nothing* - I remember trying to get a Polo up to the same spec as a Yaris T-Spirit way back when; I think it added half-as much again to the price!

These days Toyota don't really let you customize anything anyway; You can just pick a certain trim and have to live with the bits you want and the bits you don't want :(

You can't even mix and match some of the options, e.g. Protection pack (The scuff guards etc.) and the Safety pack (The VSC & rear discs) for some reason...

I agree that adding will be a massive PITA and I suspect you won't want to replace the car since you've not had it that long...

TBH, A/C is not essential; Its most useful feature is clearing windscreen mist, and the cooling that's useful maybe 14-20 days in a year here :P

Otherwise it just eats more fuel and is another thing to go wrong...

For me A/C is a neccessity for pretty much the reasons 'grinner82' describes - like ESP. its not about being 'rich' its more about getting VFM from a purchase. Pay that little extra to make sure you get out of it what you should. Its kinda like buying a BMW/Merc./Lexus with 'cloth seats' rather than leather :P

Whatever the car, if it allows for A/C, then its got to have it (IMHO). £500 isn't that much when you consider that you might be spending near £8k on a car like the Aygo. In monthly finance terms it adds pence to the repayment and you will always have a car that is readily sellable if you should need to. I think Toyota are spot-on with their special editions. I bought the Blue [for my Father] because in my eyes it had all the neccessary options...and I opted to pay extra for the Style Pack because I felt I had money to burn ;)

A/C is not a luxury (again IMHO); its a very useful driving aid and the only other option our Aygo is missing is ESP - which I would have gladly paid extra for if it were available.

Just my 2p worth.

Well as I said it's nice when you can just throw in an extra £500 and that as if it's nothing :(

I never ever buy things on credit if I can help it; It just encourages me to spend beyond my means. So every extra is more saving up!

But I've never bought a car brand new and suspect I never will so the point is mostly moot :)

The subject of cost is obviously a very relevant one. Looking at it both ways, if you go for a car that already has it fitted it will cost you 500, if you go for retrofit, if available, it will cost you 1500....

Having said that, the reason we went for the Blue was simply that, the A/C was already in it .

I never use my Aircon..... its too cold in the UK to need it. Just a pain to have it on all the time just to make sure it carries on working. You would be better off selling the car and buying one with Aircon.

I don't know what part of Essex you live in Marty, but the bit I live in gets very warm on occasions and with a Black car I'm surprised you don't have the A/C on all the time! If it's in the open at all the temperature in a dark coloured car will go several degrees higher than in a light coloured one, something to do with heat absorbtion...

Yaris Kit? Will that work on an Aygo??

I have no idea tbh. Just thought I'd post the eBay item as a "just in case" that someone would know :thumbsup: