Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommended Tyres

macinacky

Hi All,

Looking for some expert insight on to the best types of tyres for my celica- recently bought 2002 1.8, 140BHP, loving it I have to say :-) I bought it private and know I will need to start getting new tyres, any tips and recommendations for a brand/type? thanks :-)

What size Rims do you have, and what's your budget per corner?

yokahama prada's for me. they are soft and give plenty of grip. so long as you drive sensible they should last

Pradas good in dry but not so good in the wet

Have a look at www.tyrereviews.co.uk

My choice for grip in the wet...

Toyo C1S / T1R - 8.6kg for 16" These need a 500k break in as they release compounds and are a little slippery until then. Very predicatable but willl wear after 12 to 15k's

GT Radial Champiro 228's - 9.4 kg - These have a stiffer sidewall, slightly noisier

Michelin Preceda

For the price, you can't go wrong with Falken 452's. They grip really well in both the dry & wet. They wear nicely and I have no problems with when putting the power down :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, it would seem the OP didn't buy new tyres in time, wonder if they're still alive :unsure:

I always go for Kumhos.

I moved from Goodyear Eagle F1's to Kumho KU31's on my supra after a recommendation from "KarmaSupra" on here.

Never looked back, the KU31's have from what i see 99% the grip of the F1's but they cost half the money and they also have re-inforced tyre walls - something i believe the F1 still doesnt have!

A set of 4 Kumho KU31's for my GT4 (225/50R16) set me back only £270 including valves, balancing, fitting and VAT.

ECSTA_KU31.jpg

Kumho have also started doing the KU36 which is more of a trackday focused tyre (Come highly recommended as a dry track tyre but a little poor in the wet). Its only slightly more expensive than the KU31's so im going to go for those next time i need rubber.

kumho_xs_lg.jpg

Kumho also do the KU15 which is closer to a proper semi slick. Havent looked at the price of these yet though.

Would love these if they aren't much more than the KU31's and KU36's.

1801.jpg

I presume you must be talking about the original Eagle F1s and not Assy MKI or MKII.

Kumho no matter what specification of road tyre is not in the same league as Eagle FI Assy MKII that's why they are half the price.

Get what you pay for.

And BTW Goodyear have been making an XL variant sidewall for a long time. I've been using two sets a year for the last 4 years.

Yeah I was comparing them to the F1 GSD3's.

If you say so. I wouldnt go back to Goodyear, not at their prices im afraid. For the same money (if not less) i could have Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's which are way better for track.

Nope, i'm quite happy 'getting what i pay for' and paying 50% of the money of the F1's for at least 90% of the performance lol :)

Good thing they put reinforced sidewalls in their tyres now. The old GSD2 and GSD3 tyres were like marshmallow sometimes lol

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy MKII 215-45/17 XL FR variant fully fitted 113.00 per corner at my local family owned tyre shop.

Pretty damn cheap for ultimate all round performance.

DSG3 is the one GY tyre I never liked and had a set when these were new on the road (long time ago now) I changed then to M-Pilot Sports for a couple of sets.

I had a set of Yokohama Advan early series on my Lexus. Very good in the dry, deadly with RFD in the wet. Did look nice though.