Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Some New Tyres

maximumbob

Hi,

I have a 1991 Celica GT4 which currently has 15" alloys. The tyre size is 215 - 50, which seem to be very very expensive to replace.

For roughly the same money as four new tyres I can almost get a set of 17" alloys complete with tyres. However, can someone please advise me on whether or not 17" alloys will fit smoothly on my celica. (i.e. I don't want to have to alter the suspension etc)

Also, does anyone know of any good places to buy a reasonably cheap set of 17" alloys (any make)?

Thanks

A 17" wheel should be fine. Just as a side note you should be able to use 225/50/15's with no trouble whatsoever.

On my ST205 - the stock size is 215/50/16's but I use 225 and have had no issues.

I was thinking of sticking with 15's but I think the 17's will look nicer. Thanks for the information. Just need somewhere to get some decent 17's from.

i have just added a set of 17" mangel Amazon alloys to my 96 celica which is also lowered. No problems what-so-ever with the 215/40/17's. Manufacturers actually recomend them for the celica and i can tell you that the ride now is far far better than with the 15" 195/50/15's........ so go get 'em....

Thanks for the info.

I have just spoken to the technical team at Motorworld and they reckon that you can't just take 15" alloys off and repace them with new 15's cos apparently the break calipers on the GT4 are too big and hence the after market wheels will not fit.

They recommended going for a 17" but these too may have complications. They reckon the arches may need some work to fit 17's.

Can anyone hep some more on this issue as it appears that a 1991 J plate Celica GT4 is an absolute pain to buy new wheels for.

I have also found some 215 / 15 / 50 Goodyear F1 GS - D2 tyres for £62.42 - is this a good price and are the tyres good? I could stick with the stock 15's and just get them refurbished.

:angry:

Thanks for the info.

I have just spoken to the technical team at Motorworld and they reckon that you can't just take 15" alloys off and repace them with new 15's cos apparently the break calipers on the GT4 are too big and hence the after market wheels will not fit.

They recommended going for a 17" but these too may have complications. They reckon the arches may need some work to fit 17's.

Can anyone hep some more on this issue as it appears that a 1991 J plate Celica GT4 is an absolute pain to buy new wheels for.

I have also found some 215 / 15 / 50 Goodyear F1 GS - D2 tyres for £62.42 - is this a good price and are the tyres good? I could stick with the stock 15's and just get them refurbished.

technical team at motorworld.... about one step down the evolutionary path from Halfords chimps..

you can get 17's on a GT4 with no arch modification... Fensport managed it.. you may be a bit limited in the choice but you can get 17's maybe even 18's on a GT4.. a few guys in the celica-club.co.uk run their GT4's with 17's easily.

Look - this really is very easy.... go to this link and type in the size of tyre you have. The converter will give you the other possible combinations. All that matters is that you keep the circumference the same so you don't freak the gearing, speedo etc.

Bigger wheels equals lower profile and vice versa.....

http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction...nverter.welcome B)

Thanks for the info.

They are wrong. There are fitment issues on the ST205 GT4 as it has very large front brake calipers, so is restricted to certain wheel types (usually the expensive ones unfortunately!). However there are countless 17 or 18 inch wheels which will fit on the ST185. Get on www.gt4oc.com and see which ones people are using.