Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does Your Iq Have These Problems?

Seano01

Hi Guys,

I have a Aug 2009 uk IQ (almost 2 years old). I bought it new. Love the car and don't want to change it but there are quite a few problems I've had that take the pleasure out of it slightly. I've listed them below and would be interested in hearing from anyone else with the same problems plus any answers/solutions you may have as to what is causing them and how to fix it. I've had my car back to the dealership (under 3yr warranty) for all these things to be checked under warranty but they never seem to find/fix the problem and I'm worried that these are underlying problems that in a years time I will be liable for paying out for!

Problem 1) When in 2nd or 3rd gear and accelerating it sounds like the engine is struggling. At first I thought the exhaust had a whole in it as there is a strange gurgling noise that comes from the bottom of the car. I thought maybe it was an engine problem - is it possible that the revs are set too low in the lower gears. My 2nd gear generally doesnt have much power when starting from cold or going up hills. This gurgling noise doesnt happen all the time but when it does its loud.

Problem 2) When the car is pulling away from a cold start - I get an intimitant squeaking noise from underneath the car. It first starts 5 seconds after pulling away and will stop completely after a further 5 seconds. It is loud enough for other people to hear it outside the car!

Problem 3) My suspension sometimes creaks going over speed bumps - weirdly it is loudest coming off the speed bump rather than going up it. This creaking noise always happens when the car is cold (theres a speed bump at the end of my road) but it will also happen the odd time when the car is warm.

Problem 4) When sitting in traffic, I sometimes get a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car. You cant hear it outside but it is loud inside

Problem 5) On a hot day my windows make a loud friction noise when being opened - there is movement in the rubber seals at the base of the window and this is probably the cause of the noise - the only problem is that I had the same seals changed last year because of this problem - only seems to happen on hot days!

Problem 6) Not really a problem I think!!! but I've noticed that my rear disc brakes are quite rusty. I know that you do get a certain amount of service rust which is normal but this is slightly different. There are actually parts of the disc brake that are flaking off with rust on the edges - is this normal?

Problem 7) In winter mainly when it is wet and humid my rear lights mist up badly. I was told by a friend that my seals had gone and that I should take it back under warranty - the dealer however said they only fix them if a certain percentage of the rear light is affected - is this true? what are my rights?

Sorry for such a long post but you guys are the only ones I would trust and take advice from. I have taken my IQ back into the dealership on so many occasions to look at these problems it's not funny and I just feel I am being fobbed off a lot of the time!

Would really appreciate your advice?

Do you live by the sea side in a salty environment, which can cause additional problems?

Sounds like you got a bad one, or one thats not had a decent PDI & then good care when in the Dealers workshop.

Possibly it had a time of sitting in a stock yard for quite a while before it ever got delivered & registered for the road.

Surprised you have put up with it this long without having your supplying dealer sort it out properly.

Sounds like your car could do with a few hours of maintenance & TLC from a good/proper vehicle mechanic.

A good service & some grease & other lubrication wouldnt go amiss.

*Maybe try an independent mechanic that can check your vehicle over properly.

Before you deal again with Toyota.*

A second opinion during a road test from a professional on how the vehicle performs would be good, after all it is a 3 cylinder VVTi engine that needs revved to get it moving & it is best to let a car warm up at least a little if its sitting about and not being used much.

Also the shortness of the vehicle & the hardish springs need taken in to account on speed bumps etc.

Sadly also Toyota Dealership Technician/Fitters & it appears the Workshop Managers are not always the best, as posts on this forum seems to prove.

Put your problems with the vehicle in writing,on good old paper & also by email, with a copy to the Dealership Managing Director, Service Manager, & Toyota UK,

then arrange with the Toyota Garage to have the vehicle inspected & the problems fixed.

If the car is not running & performing perfectly afterwords, then contact your local Trading Standards & see about them having the vehicle inspected.

all the best.

george

Hello seno01,

Some words from my side

:doctor:

Problem 1) the service must fix this

Problem 2) a real problem, the dealer must find the problem

Problem 3) lets check the front left and right “domes” of the wheels

Problem 4) the rubber flaps in the rear sill (they are for the overpressure in the car) opens sometime and you can hear the outside noises

Problem 5) let the change the seals again

Problem 6) rear disc rust is normal

Problem 7) iq lamps have all this problem, replacing is no help

The light lenses can be removed, dried properly & then refitted using 'Red Brake grease' as a sealer to discourage ingress from moisture.

I dont use petroleum based grease, silicon or even 'Petroleum jelly'(Vasoline)

Dont use car polish on the outside of the lenses when polishing the car.

For window rubbers, & door/bonnet/boot seals in summer & winter,

Tesco £2 tyre & bumper conditioner,(back to black)but is clear,

smells of citrus & is not Black like 'Back to Black', it is a good treatment on the rubber.

Spray on & remove excess.

Winter/cold weather time,

Halfords 'Night before De-Icer'

on offer at 3 for 2 usually is worth its weight in gold on rubber & outside glass.

george

George - your tip on polishing with TurtleWax Ice has also been 'worth it's weight in gold' on my new('ish) black iQ2. Hides all those little scratches you tend to notice in bright sunlight, and the whole body can be polished in about 20 mins (well OK, it is quite a small car)! Actually I'm using Autoglym Aqua polish, but same principle. Added bonus - no white patches on the black plastic.

I'll definitely look out for the night de-icer!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links