Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8Gs Running Problem ...

Nashy

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 (X plate) 1.8 GS which has done about 124,000 miles & when I rev it parked up (i.e. not in gear) it takes a second to start to rev after I put the throttle down & lifts off again late as well.

I also noticed the other day that when I gave it full throttle to get onto the Motorway into a gap & reved it hard, it didn't want to rev cleanly, It was holding back quite considerably. If I only give it 3/4 throttle it seems to rev OK though.

My Dad has got the same car but on a 52 plate (2002) & His will rev cleanly through the range with no problem at all (His has got even higher milage as well).

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what could be wrong or what to do/check on it?

Would a bottle of 'REDEX' Fuel injector Cleaner help?

It also has got a slight 'Rattle' from the engine when I load it hard (i.e. going up a hill in 5th gear e.t.c.).

Cheers,

Aaron.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update ...

I also noticed the other day that when I start to rev it, I can hear a small sucking noise from the inlet manifold, which only lasts for about 1/2 a second, so I went ahead & bought an inlet Manifold gaskit (under £5 from My local motor factors) and this sorted it out great ... for 3 days & now it's starting to come back slightly.

I have also taken all the fuses out 1 at a time to check if any are showing signs that they need replacing (not necassarilly blown) & when I started it back up, I had a massive lack of Power ... Could this be because I've taken the fuses out & upset the engine management system?

It's running a lot better now, but it still has it's moments, now & again, when it's down on power ... Has anyone got any idea as to what else to try?

I have also done an oil change & put new spark plugs in it.

Cheers,

Aaron.