Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is This Wrong To Do .. ? Head Gasket Blown..

ukheman

The main point is receipts and paperwork, keep it all with details of dates, mileage etc and I don't think you could go far wrong. Of course a lot of people buy off the internet now off auction sites and you just dont know where things are sourced, Ive always recommended genuine parts, particularly for service items, at least you do have the full backing of the manufacturer if something does go horribly wrong

Kingo :thumbsup:

Indeed it is up to you to prove that the servicing has been done in accordance with manufacturer's recommendation, but it is not up to you to say prove that (for example) a Fram oil filter is of equal quality to a Toyota one, or that Castrol oil of the correct grade is of equal quality to whatever brand Toyota recommend. If Fram and Castrol say they are fit for intended propose, you do not have to prove that they are.

It is a tricky one for the OP, I still think the best course of action, no matter how awkward, is to get the car back to the dealer in Scotland,

I think in this case that is realistically your best if not only option to stand any chance of getting a repair without spending £££££ of your own money!! It really is up to this dealer to sort it out if any sorting out is required, and I can fully understand why nobody else will touch it without payment, why should they if they won't get paid?

As a matter of interest, which dealer in Scotland was it that did the repair?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update ... Toyota are replacing the entire engine for me.. free of charge.. currently out of stock as apparently loads of Rav4's to do aswell .... the dealer local to me is doing the repair...

You did well to come to that conclusion

The car should technically have been shipped up to Scotland on a flatbed for the dealer who carried out the work to inspect as it is within a year.

If all work carried out correctly and the fault genuinely re-occurred then it should be covered under the extended head gasket warranty. It is a known fault but i am VERY surprised it has re-occurred, this probably hasn't happened before/many times after a car has had the updated parts.

Bit worrying for 2.2 owners really.