Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paint Job

BarryIQ

Thinking to do a paintjob for my IQ in matt black. Got a quote from a local car painter and saying the paint job will cost 750 for just the exterior and 1250 to paint both interior and exterior. The price does not include the paint and I have to provide my own paint and protection spray. Any of you know roughly how many paints will I need for such a small car? How much is the paint + protection coating going to cost? And it the price is alright?

Sounds expensive to be fair without providing all materials.

Get another quote from someone else.

People dont realise just how much work is involved in a full respray, its a big job, the price above for labour does not sound expensive! If you only do the outside it will look a dogs dinner of a job when you open the doors to see different colours

Why not go for a wrap? When you come to sell it you can just remove it, matt black is not to everyones taste, if you paint it, there is no going back without a huge expense

Kingo :thumbsup:

People dont realise just how much work is involved in a full respray, its a big job, the price above for labour does not sound expensive! If you only do the outside it will look a dogs dinner of a job when you open the doors to see different colours

Why not go for a wrap? When you come to sell it you can just remove it, matt black is not to everyones taste, if you paint it, there is no going back without a huge expense

I have quoted for a matt black wrap and it will cost 1000 and is only guarantee to last for 3 years :(

Yes I can understand that, but in two years time when you are bored with matt black or want to update your iQ then you just remove it and the car can be sold on without any problems. Re-paint the car and its final, no going back, it's your car your choice, personally, I think it's a bad idea to re-paint it, if you only paint tyhe outside it will look a dogs dinner, if you paint the inside as well then make sure it is a decent job, the last thing you want to see is the original colour showing through somewhere. I don't think you appreciate how big a job re-spraying a car is, and how much material / preparation time you will need

I think the one thing that sways me more towards a wrap is that, although there might only be a 3 year guarentee, in real world terms you would assume most panels would last longer.

Plus during the next 2/3/4 years of driving, if the bonnet for instance gets peppered with stone chips, I wouldn't like to guess a cost to match the colour with a front end respray. With a wrap, you could keep the overall look of the car pretty mint by just re-wrapping any panel that needs it.

From a resale value too, when you peel the wrap off, all those little hairline marks you pick up would be mostly in the vinyl, so your bodywork underneath would be as close to showroom as you could of got it.

Just an opinion, either way you choose will give a nice end result.

Dan

I am a car sprayer & over the years sprayed quite a few old 4x4's & m/cycles Matt Black.

Easy to touch up on a 4x4, & cheap. Just use a Matt black spray can.

Sadly also quite nasty within a very short time..

You just keep spraying over to freshenthe finish tho & sometimes rub it back & re-apply the Matt Paint.

Just imagine just what a proper Matt Paint finish looks like with some bird poo or tree sap,& what happens to Matt finish when removing that.

Then there is winter salt, which makes a cheap Matt Paints maintance a nightmare.

Its not like you can polish anything out.

Spraying Satin black is quite different & more imvolved & something i have enjoyed doing.

The actual quality paint (Dupont)i have used to do high standard jobs on quality cars required some amount of preparation

as a Flat paint is even worse to get right than a high gloss black.

Most quality Matt Vehicles like Porsche & Mercs have wraps, or a very expensive paint application/finish.

I wouldnt go down the paint route if you intend selling the car in the future.

I would only use a Paint Sprayer that does custom jobs like that,

or go learn to spray yourself & then the world is your oyster.

george

edit.

Sorry double post.AGAIN. on a bad mobile conection & never know if the post has gone through.

PS Are you in the UK or NZ ?

I would have thought you would have been able to get a Wrap done by a good professionals for less than a grand in the UK.

george