Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 12V Carb Problems

john webley

I have a little Corolla 12v 3 dw hatch

it uses the 1295 cc 12v 2E motor

and a V type carb

in the past week it has started to run VERY rich,as if the choke is on,

this has a compensator,run from water temp.now,I know its old,and not so much fun as others.

but this car is much loved,

ANY ideas how to sort?

what to check?

your help is very much wanted

regards

John

its the choke compensator held onto the side of the carb by three screws, totally sealed and nothing you can do to it. it is controlled by a sealed wax unit that caused untold problems. I changed so many of these units when I was working in a toyota dealers.

Sorry mate.

Thinking about it your car must be pre 1990 if its a V type, as later cars used the "K" type carb, please confirm what year yours is, if it is 1990 on then I can advise how to set choke

Is it auto or manual, if its an auto there is a vsv bolted to the front engine mount the one by cam cover, that needs disconnecting.

you would be better off changing the manifold from a post 1990 and then will be using rh later "K"type carb, at the same time change the main jet to a 1.04mm and your car will be totally transforms the wat the car drives, no more flat spots and the feeling of lack of power

its the choke compensator held onto the side of the carb by three screws, totally sealed and nothing you can do to it. it is controlled by a sealed wax unit that caused untold problems. I changed so many of these units when I was working in a toyota dealers.

Sorry mate.

Thinking about it your car must be pre 1990 if its a V type, as later cars used the "K" type carb, please confirm what year yours is, if it is 1990 on then I can advise how to set choke

Is it auto or manual, if its an auto there is a vsv bolted to the front engine mount the one by cam cover, that needs disconnecting.

you would be better off changing the manifold from a post 1990 and then will be using rh later "K"type carb, at the same time change the main jet to a 1.04mm and your car will be totally transforms the wat the car drives, no more flat spots and the feeling of lack of power

thanks for your advice,the car is C plate auto hatchback,

are these compensaters available,or can it be modded to manual choke?

thank in anticipacion.

John.

A new compensator is stupid money, it was £160 over ten years ago, hate to think what it is now.

You can not fit a manual choke because on the V type carb it is all controlled by vacuum passages and water temp,

A quick question, has the VSV electrical connection been disconnected on the engine mount, it should be and tapped back onto loom, this defo helps cold start and stops overfuelling,

• 2 weeks later...

quick update,

after some research,I found a company that sold a Weber re-placement carb at £289+vat,

also lots of Toyota s/h parts are on E-bay.

I contact one of these Breakers,who,initially said no,but then called me back and said they had a complete s/h carb.

cost £60+ £15 p&p.

duly supplied and fitted,the car runs beautifully,the plugs so clean and light tan !!!!

happy result

thanks for all your help.

regards

John.

• Like 1

quick update,

after some research,I found a company that sold a Weber re-placement carb at £289+vat,

also lots of Toyota s/h parts are on E-bay.

I contact one of these Breakers,who,initially said no,but then called me back and said they had a complete s/h carb.

cost £60+ £15 p&p.

duly supplied and fitted,the car runs beautifully,the plugs so clean and light tan !!!!

happy result

thanks for all your help.

regards

John.

Result :thumbsup:

Glad you got it sorted in the end :yes:

• 7 years later...

Could you please advise where I could obtain a legible vacuum pipe circuit for a 1991 1.3 2e Toyota corolla automatic plus power steering .The car is fitted with the K type carb and unfortunately the diagrams on line are extremely hard to see. It would be great if I could follow a diagram or even better have some photos of the vacuum valves etc. I have a problem with the choke breaker and am not confident with the work carried out by the so called mechanic. I would be extremely grateful for your help. Where I live it is extremely hard to find anyone with carburetor knowledge. Many thanks Keith

5 hours ago, Keith walshe said:

Could you please advise where I could obtain a legible vacuum pipe circuit for a 1991 1.3 2e Toyota corolla automatic plus power steering .The car is fitted with the K type carb and unfortunately the diagrams on line are extremely hard to see. It would be great if I could follow a diagram or even better have some photos of the vacuum valves etc. I have a problem with the choke breaker and am not confident with the work carried out by the so called mechanic. I would be extremely grateful for your help. Where I live it is extremely hard to find anyone with carburetor knowledge. Many thanks Keith

Have you Googled 'corolla vacuum carb pipes' [... or similar?]

I have come across a few Utubes on replacement corolla carbs and one guy who has made a 'hand drawn/simplified map' of the pipes... possibly Californian emission spec!

The US based 'ToyotaNation' forum has a vast section on corolla and a 'search' in it may throw something useful up.

2sav

22 hours ago, Keith walshe said:

17 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Have you Googled 'corolla vacuum carb pipes' [... or similar?]

I have come across a few Utubes on replacement corolla carbs and one guy who has made a 'hand drawn/simplified map' of the pipes... possibly Californian emission spec!

The US based 'ToyotaNation' forum has a vast section on corolla and a 'search' in it may throw something useful up.

2sav

Just now, Keith walshe said:

3 minutes ago, Keith walshe said:

I don't know if I am accidentally sending this twice but in reply to the man from the States the Google drawings for carb vac piping is very hard to see as it is blurry. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think the 1.3 12V Corolla was imported into the USA and the automatic trans plus power steering model was not imported into Ireland. The power steering models have a different carb set up. If someone out there has got a couple of good photos of the carb set up with the air filter off I would pay the postage. Many thanks for your help. Keith

• Like 1

...... not sure if have found this. Not sure it will help, but, whatevvz.

2sav

22 hours ago, Keith walshe said:
1 hour ago, tooSavvy said:

...... not sure if have found this. Not sure it will help, but, whatevvz.

2sav