Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idle Speed

Steve84

Hi all My 2.2 t180 has a strange fault. It first started about 5 months ago when the car was at running temperature it would idle at 1200rpm the air con is off and heater on cold, has i'm well aware this affects the idle speed. Booked car into local dealer and they found that the engine was consuming oil. 2 litres in about 1000 miles. I had a new engine fitted under the extended warranty on the AD series engine. All seemed fine idle speed was back to 800rpm when at operating temperature and would be 1200 rpm or less when started from cold which is normal. 3000 miles later the operating idle speed starts to creep upto 1200rpm when warm. Another trip to the dealers they play with some connectors idle speed returns to normal, but now the car is down on power no warning lights tho. The dealer keeps the car in for a week talks to toyota technical and replace the ecu that cures idle problem and poor performance. The car is now perfect again for another 2000 miles when it goes into limp mode, VSC, engine light and traction lights come on. I know this to be common with egr problems. Sure enough AA come out and EGR issue the car is recovered to the dealer has it would not rev past 1300rpm. After they have the car for a week they find the new EGR valve that was fitted when the engine was replaced had jammed closed, they replaced that and kept the car a couple of days to make sure it was ok. I collocted the car from the garage did about 7 miles and the idle speed was again at 1200rpm. I drove for a further 20 miles the car was fully warmed up and still it was at 1200rpm. Took car back to garage where it has now been for 2 weeks. Toyota technical and the dealer have been swapping all sorts of data but still are unable to find a cause.

So in short When at running temperature the car idles at 1200 rpm if you rev it slightly it drops to 800rpm then slowly picks upto 1200 rpm. There are no air con on, heater is off, or on cold. The car has done 57,0000 miles and full toyota history. I've owned the car for 4 years almost and only use Shell diesel. The car is a 2006 2.2 T180. Any help would be welcomed has the dealer and toyota dont seem to know the cause of the problem. Thanks in advance

Hiya mate.

Sorry to hear about the problems that you're having with the T-180. I'm sure that Toyota would have checked this? But has the fuel and air filter been changed? Just a thought?

Hiya mate.

Sorry to hear about the problems that you're having with the T-180. I'm sure that Toyota would have checked this? But has the fuel and air filter been changed? Just a thought?

Hi mate yeah filters have been changed was serviced in may at 52000 when engine was replaced thanks. Its getting a joke i've been in touch with toyota customer relations about the problem and they dont seem that helpful. The dealer tho is A1 they are trying there hardest to sort the issue but still no joy. They are now swapping bits from another car to find a cure.

After 3 weeks at MR T got my car back today they found that the 5th injector was coked up. Anyway the car seems to be back to normal only time will tell. Big thank you to W R davies stafford for there help. Its only really down to there customer service that i'll stick to the toyota brand.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links