Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Filter

peteisfishing

Carina E 2.0 exec 3sfe engine, 1992 model...where is the fuel filter??

Haynes says it is on the bulk head ....not on mine it isnt??please help!!!!!! :blink:

probably on the inner wing near the bulkhead, passenger said if its anything like the Carina II 2.0. They are a sod to change as well

No it's a fairly substantial cylinder. i've got one for my 3S-FE Carina II floating around my boot :P. It'll be similar if not the same as it'll have to cope with high-ish pressure so it'll be fairly substantial, metal cylinder in a bracket low on the bulkhead/inner nearside wing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I've just spend a good 30 mins myself trying to find the elusive fuel filter. And I think I spotted it :hokus-pokus:

It's in the top right-hand corner (as you stand in front of the car), i.e. the passenger side, and it's indeed on the bulkhead, but underneath some big someting. I had to get a torch to see it (in broad daylight).

The filter itself is about the size of a fist--judging from the replacement I bought. But it's one difficult place to reach!! :censor:

hope this helps.

stefan,

it is very difficult to remove without causing damage to the nut which goes into the base of the filter (which you won't be able to see!)

I'd recommend buying a 'flare nut wrench' (14mm) - similar to:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040210071

these are invaluable when removing/tightening this nut and of course for undoing stuborn brake pipe nuts as well!

Thanks gazza1286 for the advice.

I won't try changing the filter today, but once I'm done I'll post my experience ;)

BTW, is it easier to get to the filter from below?

no, take the air filter housing out ( i presume the carina e is similar to the 11 in this respect) use ure 14mm pipe ( or flared nut spanner whatever u called it) spanner to undo the bottom nut, be careful u undo the nut and not try to undo the fuel filter body, u'll see what i mean on the replacement. Once u've un-done this nut and the pressure is releaved, undo the top nut with a standard (decent quality) socket, unbolt from bulhead and re-fit new one making sure u put in the new copper washers in on the top joint.

Pete

i got mine done recently and it is tricky getting the nuts of hard to get into but fairly simple once you got bottom nut of remember to depressurise your fuel system first or your gonna end up with bits of petrol everywhere and it will stink for a week lol i know i done it :D

if you wanna deppresurise it lift your back seat up it should just pop off and under that you got a cover with four screws covering fuel pump unscrew them disconnect the wiring then try to start your car leave it until it stalls then try start it up a few times more once you cant start it reconnect wiring put cover back on and bottom seat then you can remove filter

you can do that or undo it with a fuel dripping everywhere lol

once you have connected new filter start it up and check for leaks take it for a little drive and make sure it aint leaking

btw the 'flare nut wrench' (14mm) does make it a whole lot easier

just disregard this post if you know all this sh*t lol im just getting my pennys worth in hehe

lol u don't wanna depressureise the system, gettin sprayed with neat petrol is half the fun :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links