Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It The Auto Gearbox Or What

azara50

I have a '97 Carina e 1.8 cd automatic, occasionally the speedometer stops working and the gears won't change up and the o/d drive light starts flashing, then another time it works fine, I've looked for a speedo sensor under the air cleaner, there is nothing there, no electrical wires except the earth cable, its been happening since I had a new brake caliper put on drivers side front wheel as it was seized but I don't think it was that, does anyone know where the speedo sensor is on these models?

I believe you have already been told from Clarky where the speedo sensor is < second > when you first mentioned this problem you said the car drives fine, now are you saying the auto is not changing right?

Make sure the oil level is correct in the auto box Check it while hot While the engine is at idle depress the brake pedal and move the selector lever through all the gear positions then place it in park

With the engine still at idle remove the dipstick clean it, and place it back remove again and it should show between the min > @ < max where the hot mark is, to be right If the level is down that may also be the cause of your speedo not working!

The speedo sensor is on the back of the gearbox on manual and auto models

Kingo :thumbsup:

I believe you have already been told from Clarky where the speedo sensor is < second > when you first mentioned this problem you said the car drives fine, now are you saying the auto is not changing right?

Make sure the oil level is correct in the auto box Check it while hot While the engine is at idle depress the brake pedal and move the selector lever through all the gear positions then place it in park

ark is

With the engine still at idle remove the dipstick clean it, and place it back remove again and it should show between the min > @ < max where the hot mark is, to be right If the level is down that may also be the cause of your speedo not working!

Thanks for your reply, gearbox oil has been checked, it drives good, but now and then the speedo stops and that causes the o/d light to start flashing, then it drives in first gear without changing up, took off the air cleaner assembly, just cannot see a speedo sensor. Cannot see any wires attached to a sensor, nothing like the haynes manual.

Perhaps you are looking directly under where the air cleaner goes instead of the back as in jacking the car up and looking up at the rear of the box!?

The speedo is working today, checked the gear oil again while idling and its at the 2nd notch up on cool, lower than halfway between hot and cool, does that mean it needs a small top up?

If it its on the second notch up from the cold position which you describe as cool and the engine is hot?? when you tested it, then it should really show between min hot @ max hot marks So if your reading is correct, i would say its around a pint down on the level and needs topping up 1/2 a pint to start with

If it its on the second notch up from the cold position which you describe as cool and the engine is hot?? when you tested it, then it should really show between min hot @ max hot marks So if your reading is correct, i would say its around a pint down on the level and needs topping up 1/2 a pint to start with

thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links