Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rain X

Lorna2

Finally got round to getting some Rain X, the spray-on one. Got it in Halfords of all places as there is nowhere else near me who sells that sort of thing. Used it yesterday and went out this morning and there was light rain - seemed good as the rain beaded. I actually wanted heavier rain to see how good the rain x would be.

Well I got the heavier rain later today and I think I must have put on too much Rain X as the wiper on the drivers side made a juddering sound - only in the heavier rain. It seems to be at the bottom corner of the wiper. I couldn't stand the noise of it so I pulled in and went into Costcutter and got a packet of microfibre cloths. That helped but I need to fully remove the Rain X I think. Don't tell me the wipers are worn as they are not, I only got them just under a year ago and they have been perfect until today. Wipers are not dirty and there's no dead flies on the windscreen so its definately the Rain X. I would say I probably used too much as it was my first time to use it.

Anyone else done this before? :help:

I've read mixed reviews of this stuff..... seems it's great for side windows/mirrors etc but pretty crap on the windscreen....

As for the wipers... there's no real shelf life for these, they can harden at any point it seems these days.

My drivers side has hardened and started to split and that's in under 6 months!! censored.gif

I've read mixed reviews of this stuff..... seems it's great for side windows/mirrors etc but pretty crap on the windscreen....

As for the wipers... there's no real shelf life for these, they can harden at any point it seems these days.

My drivers side has hardened and started to split and that's in under 6 months!! censored.gif

Any idea how long it takes to wear off itself? Even a bit so it stops the juddering. Would a good wash with normal car shampoo be enough to take it off?

You could use a clay bar to remove it,I reckon that would bring it all off :unsure: .

I used to use Rain X years ago and never had any problems on any windows.In fact,it was amazing stuff :yes:

You could use a clay bar to remove it,I reckon that would bring it all off :unsure: .

I used to use Rain X years ago and never had any problems on any windows.In fact,it was amazing stuff :yes:

I'll not be using any clay bars - I'm not into all that detailing carry on. I'm so glad to hear that you used the Rain X before, you must be an expert on it :thumbsup: How long does the stuff stay on the windscreen before it wears off? Is there anything I can use to get rid of it, maybe washing-up liquid (obviously well away from the paintwork) or a good dose of car shampoo - applied undiluted? The juddering is driving me mad :angry: although its just in one area, not the whole windscreen thankfully.

If the Rain X was so good why did you stop using it?

Would a chamios take it off? Or a product such as MR Muscle window cleaner?

I've heard that neat white vinegar cleans windscreens - however.... mine's still blood6 greasy!

I'll not be using any clay bars - I'm not into all that detailing carry on. I'm so glad to hear that you used the Rain X before, you must be an expert on it :thumbsup: How long does the stuff stay on the windscreen before it wears off? Is there anything I can use to get rid of it, maybe washing-up liquid (obviously well away from the paintwork) or a good dose of car shampoo - applied undiluted? The juddering is driving me mad :angry: although its just in one area, not the whole windscreen thankfully.

If the Rain X was so good why did you stop using it?

I stopped using it simply because I ran out of the stuff and never bought any more.I never experienced any wiper judder at all.

Thanks for all your advice :) I had a bottle of Windowlene in the house which absolutely stinks of vinegar so I thought I'd try that...and it worked! Saved me having to wash the windscreen. No more juddering wiper :yahoo: Even when it rained today! Thanks again.

You could try those PIAA silicone wipers next :D

You could try those PIAA silicone wipers next :D

I don't think so Cyker. I only use the wipers from Toyota, no aftermarket ones for my car ;)

• 2 weeks later...

IMO Rain X is a very poor product and I would never use it again. The stuff just doesn't last long enough on the screen.

If you're after a product that does a far superior job, I can't recommend GTechniq G1 highly enough! This stuff is fantastic and one application can last anything between 9-12 months.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, an old trick believe it or not is newspaper print to clean the screen, that may get the Rain X off. something that works in a similar way is Autoglym Car Glass Polish, it doesnt leave a residue but gets the glass so clean the water beads and washes straight off at about 50mph. Or if you want to try a different product try Arexons Rain Off click here.

And i'm not joking about old newspaper, it works :)

• 2 weeks later...

Never had any issues with rain x myself and it seems to work nicely double application normally last a month or so

work it in hard after its dried your good to go

Rain X is fantastic stuff, I've used it for many years with no problems. You shouldn't really have to use wipers in heavy rain if you're travelling 60+mph.

Best way to buff it off with some paper towels to get it to work as it should.

Give your Wiper Blades a wipe with the cloth you use to apply the Rain X and you won't have any trouble with judder, unless the wipers need replacing. :thumbsup:

Another vote for Rain-x here...my last application was around 4-5months ago and the water is still beading nicely to this day!

I have heard of mixed reviews where it doesnt last long...mine seems to last a good while every application as do friends who I know that use it...

G-techniq is BRILLIANT also...but for the money...its questional for the average Joe...

My process of cleaning the glass is; Normal household glass cleaner (some blue stuff in unbranded bottles...this is only if I have time), Megs Glass cleaner spray, Rain-x and then Autoglym glass polish....the last wiper change on the car was about 2 years ago...maybe 3 years back!!

teamSPB

• 4 months later...

I bought something called AquaPel. 1 application lasted roughly 6 months. Bought a 4 pack from Costco for £18. Good reviews. Fantastic when it's pouring it down. I suppose this is 3 times the price, but should last 2 years with the 4 applicators. Just an alternative.

• 1 year later...

I used to use Rain-X all the time but I've not seen it for sale in ages.

It wasn't spray on I used to use but came in a bottle.

I'd make sure the windscreen was cleaned and spotless first before applying it.I'd pour a generous amount on a cloth and rub it in well then buff it off thoroughly with a microfibre cloth.

Then I'd apply a second coat.

At town speeds heavy rain would bead and run off though I'd prob use intermitant wipe to help clear it but at 60 + mph the rain ran off instantly and I never need wipers.

In fact,at those speeds my wipers would drag n squeal as the glass was pretty dry,like I said by 60 mph I never needed wipers.

It lasted several months,it just depends on how much you drive,in what conditions,how often you washed the car etc.

I thought Rain-X was well worth the cost and time to apply it properly :)

I'd make sure the windscreen was cleaned and spotless first before applying it.I'd pour a generous amount on a cloth and rub it in well then buff it off thoroughly with a microfibre cloth.

At town speeds heavy rain would bead and run off though I'd prob use intermitant wipe to help clear it but at 60 + mph the rain ran off instantly and I never need wipers.

In fact,at those speeds my wipers would drag n squeal as the glass was pretty dry,like I said by 60 mph I never needed wipers.

It lasted several months,it just depends on how much you drive,in what conditions,how often you washed the car etc.