Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is The Best 17" Tyre Size

sheepscloth

Hi Guys

This question might be hypothetical, however I wanted to get your opinion.

What is the best 17" tyre size for the T-sport?

The standard tyres are as you know 195/55-16.

The tyres fitted to the compressor is 215/45-17 which is 0.7% larger than the 195/55-16, but the compressor has more power so no problem dealing with taller gearing.

The Celica GTS however (same engine and gear box as the CTS) is running 205/45-17 which are 0.7% smaller than the 195/55-16.

I know that in practice I probably wont be able to notice the difference, but what is would be the best choice?

Cheers

225/45/17 only noticed a change in mpg

although my speedo is now spot on with my sat nav

personally i think wider tyres give a better look so i'd go with 215 or 225 width, the profile you can adjust to suit.

i believe but don't quote me on this the celica has a different final drive ratio to the corolla.

kind of on topic.. but before i go ahead and buy a set, i want to put 17" on my 1.4

1. will this be a silly idea and make the car more slugish pulling away?

2. what PCD etc should they be?? (im not overly technical)

3. what size tyres would i need so that the speedo was accurate, and not end up ripping my wheel arches to bits

and would it look silly cause i havnt lowered my car??

thank for the replies

I will probably go for 215/45-17.

Does anyone in here run 205/45-17?

Cheers

Hey,

I have been running on 205/45-17 on my first wheel set, 17", 7J wide, ET 42.

Here's a picture, in combination with 50mm lowering (coilovers):

spa0534.jpg

@ Chrisruffel:

1) Go for lightweight :P

2) all corollas have got pcd 4x100

3) I would go for 205/45-17, changes only 0.7% as already said here.

And I don't want to sound hard, but yes, looks silly when running on 17" not being lowered :P

Grtz

to answer one of the questions: on 17" alloys the corolla looks so silly because it is so high from factory. in my view a 40mm minimum drop is needed to make it look decent. this is why i want to buy a set of 16" t-sport wheels rather than a set of 17"

Hey,

I have been running on 205/45-17 on my first wheel set, 17", 7J wide, ET 42.

Here's a picture, in combination with 50mm lowering (coilovers):

spa0534.jpg

@ Chrisruffel:

And I don't want to sound hard, but yes, looks silly when running on 17" not being lowered :P

Grtz

Looks great!

I have been running on 205/45-17 on my first wheel set, 17", 7J wide, ET 42

@ Chrisruffel:

Grtz

So if say, one was looking to buy aftermarket wheels would you recommend 17", 7J wide, ET 42 as the correct specs to use? I'm planning on running 215/45/17 on mine.

Have any of you guys tried the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08?

I am seriously considering these for my 17s as I need something for both road and track.

I have been running on 205/45-17 on my first wheel set, 17", 7J wide, ET 42

@ Chrisruffel:

Grtz

So if say, one was looking to buy aftermarket wheels would you recommend 17", 7J wide, ET 42 as the correct specs to use? I'm planning on running 215/45/17 on mine.

Not necessary.

You can also perfectly use 17x7.5 ET 40, or 17x7 ET45, etc.

As long as the wheel doesn't hit the springs or wheel arch, there's no problem :)

Just took my specs with the pic, so U have got an idea ;)

Grtz

Right, I'm in need of some further advice!!

Have got my eye on a set of Lenso Reizen 17", with an ET38 offset. From my research, it seems that these wheels are likely to fit my CTS - but just wanted to get some further opinions before I take the plunge!!

Cheers

Hi All,

Sorry 'sheepscloth' not hijacking your thread or anything. Sounds like you are like me with original wheels on.

So if you are thinking of swapping the factory wheels and lowering it What is the best combo to get? What do you want to lower it by as I don't want to lower too much as I don't want to be catching the curb if you have to mount it?

Cheers...

Hi Gazzy G

Yeah I am currently on the original wheels and tyres.

However, I have a set of 17x7 ET 38 in the garage waiting to be fitted with rubber and go on the car.

My car is lowered approx 30mm using a combination of Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach springs. :thumbsup:

I know that most in here are running 215/45-17, but I am actually thinking that 205/45-17 might be more appropriate to the character of the 2zz-ge engine.

Hi sheepscloth,

Thanks for the info mate. Have you got any photo's of what your motor looks like as it is?

Cheers...

What's the rim width? :P

Grtz

Hi mate!

Rim width is 7J, offset ET38 - so that being the narrowest width I think they'll fit just fine with either 205 or 215 width tyres with a 45 profile.

The rims look like this:

Lenso_Reizen.jpg

Thoughts please?

I'm on OEM Comp wheels with 215x45s dropped on a set of BCs and my fronts are making a good job of eating there way through the arch liners, so two options, stiffen it up a bit more or raise the ride hide, can't see it being the latter :lol:

Hi sheepscloth,

Thanks for the info mate. Have you got any photo's of what your motor looks like as it is?

Cheers...

post-96174-0-01235300-1314456135_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Well now, here's an update for you on my tyre dilemmas!

I'm just about ready to go and buy myself some fresh rubber for these new wheels, want to keep the rolling ratios the same as the ones which are currently fitted to keep speedometer accuracy.

So the Pirelli P6000s that I have fitted to my CTS 16" alloys (205 55 R16) could well be superceded with a set of GT Radials in 225 45 R17. At just under £76 a corner at Black Circles (with a 5-star rating) I feel they could be a bit of a bargain.

I'll let you know how I get on, excited to get some lower profile rubber on my 'Rolla to attack the twisties with!! :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got my new tyres fitted to the wheels, was quite a mission as I had to source a whole new set of wheels nuts on the day they were fitted but after much running about, managed to get what was needed to have them fitted!

Had the tyres on for a week or so now, am really pleased with how much improved the handling and general road-holding is. Even with stock suspension, the amount of confidence I can carry into each corner is so much more. Given that I have gone for the widest tyre possible (225) I am also pleased with how little noise they are producing. Needless to say the steering feels a little heavier and the car feels a bit more planted, but that's cause each of these wheels is going to be at least 500g heavier (I'd have thought)!!

Here's what they look like on the car:

33511161.jpg

a8b8c23b.jpg

At some point, I will have to consider lowering springs, but for now I am really enjoying my first modification to my stock T-Sport. I can't understand why it wasn't supplied with 17" wheels and this size tyres as standard!!

I'm on OEM Comp wheels with 215x45s dropped on a set of BCs and my fronts are making a good job of eating there way through the arch liners, so two options, stiffen it up a bit more or raise the ride hide, can't see it being the latter :lol:

Hey Blutto, how far would you say you have dropped the front and rear of your car from standard?

not mad on the wheel choiceor tyre size i have to say

tyre wall is very big because of the width of tyre you went for

but as long as your happy with it.....best of luck with it