Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is The Best 17" Tyre Size

sheepscloth

not mad on the wheel choiceor tyre size i have to say

tyre wall is very big because of the width of tyre you went for

but as long as your happy with it.....best of luck with it

Thanks for the comments; I know that they won't be everyone's cup of tea but as you say, I'm happy and that's what counts!!

Perhaps it's my photography, but I think they do look much better in the flesh.

That sidewall is bigger than many (due to the tyre size) but what with the roads being in the state they are and the fact I plan to stiffen up the suspension a bit i'm gonna stick with them.

I noticed that uber_luke also had this tyre size on his motor too, so would be interested to hear his opinion!

oh well for road comfort the better side wall the better but for looks it just seems a bit big

iam running 225/40/18 and dont find the side wall too bad, iam only lowered 40mm but all in all its grand

• Like 1

I think looks wise 225/45 fills the arches perfect with TTE springs.

Handling wise, when you are really giving it some serious stick, there is a tad bit of roll. but thats only on track driving.

Im still decided on what to get next, i'd probs go for 225/40/17.

he is a picture of how it sits now

296867_10150837774030644_524100643_21419330_222476743_n.jpg

You will notice the improvement in handling with those new tyres/alloys tho.

Even more so if you got lowering springs and a few other handling tweeks.

Overall i'd say your car is looking pretty smart at the moment.

keep up the good work

• Like 1

oh well for road comfort the better side wall the better but for looks it just seems a bit big

iam running 225/40/18 and dont find the side wall too bad, iam only lowered 40mm but all in all its grand

TBH it looks to me like 225/45/17 & 225/40/18 are the tyres to go for on our model Corolla. Should keep the speedo nice and accurate as well as providing enough sidewall rebound to retain a fairly comfortable ride quality. Definitely like the look of 18s so may follow your lead at some point in future!! Have you got coilovers fitted to yours?

I guess we should all be glad that the Corolla designers decided to provide us with lots of room under the wheel arches to put whatever wheels on that we like!!

I think looks wise 225/45 fills the arches perfect with TTE springs.

Handling wise, when you are really giving it some serious stick, there is a tad bit of roll. but thats only on track driving.

Im still decided on what to get next, i'd probs go for 225/40/17.

he is a picture of how it sits now

296867_10150837774030644_524100643_21419330_222476743_n.jpg

You will notice the improvement in handling with those new tyres/alloys tho.

Even more so if you got lowering springs and a few other handling tweeks.

Overall i'd say your car is looking pretty smart at the moment.

keep up the good work

Cheers Luke! With the new alloys on, at least I can say it's heading in the right direction!! And I have to say that as I only paid £100 for those alloys I think I picked up a bit of a bargain.

Have taken a look at your mod list and there's a few things there that I will also be doing - rear ARB and lowering springs are the first things i'll be tackling. It looks like you kept your original shocks on the car, is that the case?

well for £100 those alloys are a bargin. Once you get some springs and ARB your confidence in the car will be amazing.

Yup original shocks on mine, had no issues with them, but they did only have 28k on them when i fitted my springs. If your shocks are originals on a pfl then lowering it might highlight any issues a bit.

Luke

well for £100 those alloys are a bargin. Once you get some springs and ARB your confidence in the car will be amazing.

Yup original shocks on mine, had no issues with them, but they did only have 28k on them when i fitted my springs. If your shocks are originals on a pfl then lowering it might highlight any issues a bit.

Luke

I might give it a go with the original shocks, it's only covered 60k miles so far and hasn't had that many owners. Do you think that it's worthwhile going to the TTE springs, as opposed to ones by another aftermarket tuner?

Tte springs are easily the most popular springs for t sport owners past and present.

Not heard any bad reports about the comfort or build quality and to be fair, for dealer parts, they are well priced.

I'm sure they'll be fine on your current shocks, unless every previous owner has used it as a work van or fatty taxi lol

Pm parts king for the best price in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Not on this forum. I'll transfer a few pictures over tho.

Have you decided on what tyres yet?

Nope, I'm going out of my mind trying to decide

195/55/16 are too expensive and a crap size for the type of car it is anyway

205/50/16 is really expensive amd I dont like the idea of messing with the OEM tyre size on the standard rim

205/55/16 is a lot cheaper but same as above

Other option to get a set of 17's with 215/45/17 but thats the most expensive and I dont really like any of the choice of alloys

:(

Haha, "messing with the OEM tyre size".

Sorry but that's funny, it's not that you're going to destroy it dude :P

The E12 is delivered with 185-60-15, 195-55-16 and 215-45-17 if I'm not wrong.

They are all different, so that's also "messing" with it ;)

You can't go wrong with any of the sizes u showed above.

I'm rolling on 195-40-17 btw, with 5.4% difference on speedo.

Grtz

• 3 months later...

me preferably id go for 225/40/17... only 1.5% less diff...! :) of course 205 will be closer to the stock but i prefer that wider and more stable look ;) but one thing ive got no clue about is how low could i go with this size and width? :( :huh:

Not much lower, I would only lower it 30mm then.

aahh thanks dude!)) stock height is around 60mm front and 90mm rear... roughly... would i need to change the shocks as well? :giljotiini:

Not for 30mm.

If u take 40mm, then it's the best to change them :)

Grtz

Not for 30mm.

If u take 40mm, then it's the best to change them :)

Grtz

Cool! so how much did u drop on urs? cuz preferably id like to achieve something close to that... ;)

Oh, haha, then I will have to disappoint you.

I have got KW coilovers.

My tire size is 195/40/17, which gives a 6% difference on the speedo.

I took those tires especially for lowering.

Now I'm lowered about 9cm, with rolled rear arches (lowest point is only on 2cm from the ground then).

Grtz

Oh, haha, then I will have to disappoint you.

I have got KW coilovers.

My tire size is 195/40/17, which gives a 6% difference on the speedo.

I took those tires especially for lowering.

Now I'm lowered about 9cm, with rolled rear arches (lowest point is only on 2cm from the ground then).

Grtz

loool well all i said was close... reasonably closeish will do :) and i don't mind changing the shocks if i have too... But with 225/40/17 40mm drop won't do right?

And thanks for the info much appreciated!!! ;)

I have never tried it myself, but I guess a 225 tire will be too wide ;)

U can always try to do a testfit or something :)

Grtz

loool well all i said was close... reasonably closeish will do :) and i don't mind changing the shocks if i have too... But with 225/40/17 40mm drop won't do right?

And thanks for the info much appreciated!!! ;)

Grtz

Gents, read my previous posts. I run 225/45/27 tyres on mine and they're fine, in fact they are only +0.4% larger than the standard tyres which are listed in the TSport manual! I'm 99% confident they will also be fine when I fit my Eibach springs as others have also been running this size without problems.

Grtz, I think you need to clarify when you mention your speedo difference that it's reading 6% LESS than your actual speed.

Indeed in reality I'm driving 6% slower than the speedo displays :)

Grtz

Grtz

hmmm yeah gotta try it my self... The thing is just got the car so I've got no knowledge about it... so if 225 are too wide then i rather stay with 16's and fit them with spacers... I just want a wider stance... has anyone done that?? found one rolla with spacers online and it looked amazing!!! Problem was all the info was in polish so u get the idea... :(

U can perfectly do it on 17" too :)

I've got 17x7 wheels, ET 40, with 20mm spacers each side, and it suits perfect ;)

Just take a smaller tire then.

Grtz

Grtz

what would u say about this :naughty: 30mm drop with 215/45/17 and have them to go with spacers at rear 20mm wide and front well whatever will fit lol... :D

BTW have a look at this one... http://translate.goo...26prmd%3Dimvnsb

just something similar to this... not as low of course and preferably with 17's... any good??? :spiteful: