Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Transponder Key

JSAston

Hi

Does any one know how an auto locksmith makes a copy of a key? I have 2007 Auris T Spirit, which came with only one key. I have been to my local main dealer who informed me that they would like to charge me £250 for a duplicate key, which is a bit steep. I have seen on eBay a key which is the same part number as mine B51EA, and was wondering if I purchased this key and a new blade is it just a matter of taking my spare in and they make a copy or is it more involved and having to mess around with the ECU?

Also whilst I was at the main dealers I asked about an Ipod connection to my double din Nav system, again this was priced at £250 for a cable into the glove box to connect the Ipod to. It would seem to me that everything from my main dealer is £250, perhaps they shoud rename themselves as the 250 Pound Shop...

You need a transponder chip otherwise no go. The key is actually the easiest part any locksmith can make a copy. Here in Portugal I heard that some can also sell you transponders and program them at least for some cars.~Anyway I find it weird that you only have 1 single key :\

Anyway I find it weird that you only have 1 single key :\

Yes, according to the car dealer that sold it to me, it was owned by a couple that split up and are not on talking terms, she had one key and he had another. When she sold the car to the dealer she could not get the second key back from her ex. Not sure if I totally believe this story???

So, am I right in saying that the main Toyota dealer is the best option?

Cheers

Well if you want my opinion on this issue demand a brand new locking system from the dealer including keys and so on. What if the other guy sees the car and decides to open it up? Because I don't see a reason to keep the car key other then having second intentions. I wouldn't buy a car in such conditions specially after such story. If they want to sell install new key locks, keys and transponders. But thats me if you're willing to take the risk it is up to you

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links