Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Getting A 04 Reg 1.8 T3-X

TAF

Hi all, i currently have a 03 corolla 1.6 and am looking at getting a 04 reg avensis 1.8 as well...have a few questions for you guys...

Does it have a timing chain or belt? and when does this need to be changed? Does this model have any issues with drinking oil?? im looking at getting a t3-x is there any major differences between that and the t spirit?? and is anything i should be looking for when viewing cars??

Thanks for your help in advance!

Taf

The 1.8 has a timing chain that should in theory never need changing. That age of 1.8 did suffer from the oil consumption problem so beware.

The T-spirit will offer a leather interior over the t3-x but not much more. I'd also be wary of the gearbox too when viewing it.

the 1.8 t3-x is a good reliable if slow and a little unexciting to drive, ive not had any issues with the oil usage,

the wagon is a very useable family car and load carrier, id look for a bigger engine though ,

LOL Interesting day to say the least.... planning on seeing 3 avensis's today... asked for v5 reference number so i could check previous mot's etc!!!>>>>...

All 3 cars, different dealers different mot stations etc had issues with excessive brake wear and rear brake line corrosion?! at one point or another mot was refused on all 3 lol

then found a 2.0 vvti t spirit, had 39k but had engine light on and the hand brake was non existent!! pulled it up FULLY and the car still rolled...

Is this brake line thing a common fault????

Not aware of a common problem with brake line corrosion, although it will affect most cars eventually. Not usually an expensive problem to put right though.

The engine management light on the 2.0 will most likely be an O2 sensor fault, although it would obviously need a code reader plugging in to check. The O2 sensor is a very common problem and means it will need a new sensor. There are 4 sensors though, and they cost over £140 each from Toyota. If it's from a dealer then I'd get them to fix it first, or use it as a bargaining tool.

Rear handbrake will usually be a snapped cable or the rear shoes may need adjusting/replacing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links