Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Disc Replacement Question...

TAF

Ive replaced discs all round on my corolla a while ago... since then when i brake to come to a stop i notice what i can only describe as a kind of knock from each wheel. Ive had time over the weekend to look at it, maybe something ive done wrong... when i turn the hub it turns about a mm or 2 before the spoke touches the disc, and then the disc rotates, then i hear that knock sound im referring to... is that normal or should the disc turn with the hub straight away??

Hey,

Think the knock you say you are getting is when you have the wheel off ?

The disc is only held on firmly when the wheel / nuts are on, without them the disc will move a few mm on the hub as the stud holes are a bit bigger than the studs.

Did you refit the front wheel caliper shims when you reassembled things.

Also, did you use some copper grease on those shims / piston outer edges, the brake shoe carriers and the rear of brake shoes.

What about the caliper slider bolts, are they free to move in and out, did you take them out to check / re-grease with red grease ?

What make of pads and discs did you use, I generally use Ferrodo and have no problem, but fitted some Pagit pads to my old Avensis and they squeaked all the time.

Thanks for the reply... the knock happens as im braking coming to a stop.. cant feel it in the pedal or anything..

Im glad the disc is supposed to be loose when the caliper and wheel is of i thought id missed something.. everything else is pretty much fine, ive copper greased what needed to be greased etc.. used mintex pads and discs as ive never had issues with this in any of my previous cars

:-S

Thanks for the reply... the knock happens as im braking coming to a stop.. cant feel it in the pedal or anything..

Im glad the disc is supposed to be loose when the caliper and wheel is of i thought id missed something.. everything else is pretty much fine, ive copper greased what needed to be greased etc.. used mintex pads and discs as ive never had issues with this in any of my previous cars

:-S

Hey,

You don't mention those round piston to pad shims on the front brakes, they were there ? None used on the back ones.

Also what about the slider bolts, my lower front ones were seizing , so if they are not working right you could perhaps get a clunk as they struggle to release ..?

When tightening up those slider bolts did you locate them correctly behind the caliper body ?

Nothing to do with the handbrake on the rears ? - did you check / adjust them - not catching on ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links