Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Knocking On 2004 Avensis

Wiilm

I've seen the recently linked thread for greasing points on the earlier model, does anyone have feedback for my year/model? Will grease "fix" it?

It began with an intermittent knocking sound up the steering column when parking but then it gradually became more "knocky" whilst driving over any uneven track or road surface. (smooth roads are fine)

I've taken in to a couple of garages and they first suapected it was coming from where the wishbones joined onto either end the rack, but removing the gaiters showed the rack and the wishbone joints were fine there. The second garage then looked with a torch and said they could see a cigarette paper's worth of play at the centre of the rack itself. (sorry not up on technical term). Both said it wasn't dangerous and it would easily last another 50k It is not an MOT failure as I checked with the MOT guy when he passed it for recent MOT.

!Removed! annoying though!

Just found this on AA recalls page via google

Recall: No. 3 of 7

Recall Ref: R/2004/066

Exact Model:

Description: Steering – wear of the intermediate shaft spline

VIN: SB1BR56L-0E001019 TO SB1BR56L-0E042156, SB1ER56L-0E001007 TO SB1ER56L-0E041908, SB1DR56L-0E001128 TO SB1DR56L-0E041829

Build Date:

Numbers: 10672

Defect: It is possible on certain Avensis models fitted with electric motor assisted power steering (EMPS), that the intermediate steering shaft was incorrectly assembled, this can result in premature wear of the shaft splines. This is identified by the abnormal noise produced, however, if the vehicle continues to be driven in this condition, it may become difficult, or in the worst case impossible to steer.

Action: Inspect and if necessary replace the intermediate steering shaft.

Launch Date: 05 May 2004

Looks like I'll have to enquire further.

Hi, I have a 2004 avensis tourer withthe same issue, fine on the road but feels like something is going to shake apart on uneven surfaces, with vibration through the steering column. Am about to muster the courage to take it to the garage will keep you posted if they find anything

You have two issues here, Both are known problems with Avensis.

1) rattling steering rack

2) Knocking Steering coloum.

1) - You need to replace the 3 bushes that are worn out, These bushes are located on each end of the rack and Pinion.

If rack Pinion has play then rack will need to be replaced.

2) - You need to check for play in the join of the steering colum that goes through the bulkhead of the car.

Also if the grease has dryed up, you will need to regrease.

Thanks for the pointers cmia, does anybody have experience of changing the rack and pinion bushes? If so how much and/or can you do it yourself?

you can do them your self.

It requires you taking the inner rods out and revoving the old bushes and replacing them by pressing them in

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your help cmia.

Would you (or anyone) be kind enough to post or link a diagram or photo

of the inner rods and bushes/joints that potentially require changing? I am not familiar with steering racks or steering columns.

If the column joint needs replacing how involved is that?

Can I take it that the rack bushes you mention, have nothing to do with the joints where the wishbones join the steering rack?

Any luck with yours dransfield?

Thank you very much for your help cmia.

Would you (or anyone) be kind enough to post or link a diagram or photo

of the inner rods and bushes/joints that potentially require changing? I am not familiar with steering racks or steering columns.

If the column joint needs replacing how involved is that?

Can I take it that the rack bushes you mention, have nothing to do with the joints where the wishbones join the steering rack?

Any luck with yours dransfield?

Right,

If you are asking on pictures on how to replace these parts, you shouldnt really attempt this.

as you will need to remove every steering component to rebush the rack.

1) To get the rack off, the PowerSteering fluid would need to be drained

2) Track Rod nuts and Track Rod Ends need to be removed

3) Steering rack needs to be removed from bulk head

4) Inner track rod ends and Pinion needs to be removed.

5) Old bushes need to be removed without damaging the internals of the rack

6) New bushes need to be pressed in.

7) Now reverse order and join.

some racks and steering are more complicated.

If their is little play, just live with it.

Its not MOT faliure(currently)

post-35564-0-68694200-1315338001_thumb.j

Right,

If you are asking on pictures on how to replace these parts, you shouldnt really attempt this.

Thanks for the step by step and the great diagram cmia, Now I know for certain I won't be doing it myself. lol

Unfortunately, it is slowly getting worse, more than just mildly annoying, so I will need it rectifying. dransfield's description was very accurate.

Do you know approx how much Toyota would/should charge for fixing this versus a regular garage?

Right,

Thanks for the step by step and the great diagram cmia, Now I know for certain I won't be doing it myself. lol

Unfortunately, it is slowly getting worse, more than just mildly annoying, so I will need it rectifying. dransfield's description was very accurate.

Do you know approx how much Toyota would/should charge for fixing this versus a regular garage?

Your looking at price of a rack ( around 1000£ for main dealers) + fitting.

YOu can get a decent remanufactured unit for around 150£ and fitting shouldnt be more then 100£

:thumbsup:

Hi All,

I read this post with interest as last night I was on the BMW forum asking a few questions and I was directed to the following site its a VOSA vehicle recall information page just enter your make and model into the site and all recalls are brought to light, As I also own a Toyota Avensis I entered this model and I see there were a few recalls regarding steering problems etc give it a go :thumbsup: .

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp?tx=

Alfie B

Rang Toyota C/S - car was recalled in 2007 for a steering related fault on full lock, didn't fully understand what very unhelpful woman was saying. Didn't seem to directly relate to recalls on the web page you linked (thanks). The long and the short of it is that Toyota might contribute toward cost if an inspection showed that current fault is related to 2007 recall fault........what has happened in relation to genral avensis recalls of 2004 remains foggy.

Whatever happens I'd guess that either selling it at auction or replacing rack with a recon one as cmia posted, and then selling is the only real financially viable option. Aside from that - whilst the rest of it is in good condition with only 59k on the clock, it doesn't really suit my current needs - I fancy a different type of vehicle altogether.

Where is a good source for a recon rack ?

Thanks again cmia.

Do I get the electric or hydraulic rack?

http://www.acspowersteering.co.uk/toyota/steering-rack/?osCsid=no83hj9sn88vpvfubsahtod725

You also mentioned a steering column joint might be worn - to save time in garage could I also order one of those or is it likely they can source part on the spot whilst swapping racks?

Thanks again cmia.

Do I get the electric or hydraulic rack?

http://www.acspowersteering.co.uk/toyota/steering-rack/?osCsid=no83hj9sn88vpvfubsahtod725

You also mentioned a steering column joint might be worn - to save time in garage could I also order one of those or is it likely they can source part on the spot whilst swapping racks?

If you car was made before 55 reg, it should be hydralic rack.

But make sure to give them your reg number and they will send the right one out.

The steering col is a massive job! parts should be available

BUT

If the rack pinion has play in it, that could cause the rattling noise. (wobbles inside whilst driving)

Get it confirmed at atleast two garages that the pinion has play.

then buy the rack and replace.

dont replace anything else....

Save your money