Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

I had a claim for an EGR on my jaguar. It had an extended warranty, initially the warranty co refused payment on the excuse that the EGR was part of the exhaust. I phoned them and told them the EGR may be connected to the exhibition as is the turbo. They agreed and paid out.

I had a claim for an EGR on my jaguar. It had an extended warranty, initially the warranty co refused payment on the excuse that the EGR was part of the exhaust. I phoned them and told them the EGR may be connected to the exhaust as is the turbo. They agreed and paid out.

Quote / I bought my car in Italy and now I live in Spain, my dealer is 2000km from here... it really doesn't make sense / unquote

I think it is up to "a" dealer to take care of this question. So any Toyota dealer could ask this, not only your dealer where you bought the car. In Holland the Toyota data-base is connected, so every dealer sees the same info about your car...

@Jezport.. i.m.o. the EGR is part of the air-intake system and connected with the exhaust-part by this pipe-thing.

Anyways... in the definition of the engine of the iQ it is stated that the engine "starts at the beginning of the air-intake manifold and ends after the exhaust-manifold / and/ or turbo"...

After the exhaust-manifold starts the exhaust... and that is not part of the engine.

So everything should be covered by the extra warranty... Even the dealer argues about this (pro and con)..cause the extra warranty is made for all the various types of engines and not specially for the engine of the iQ.

The discussion can be seen as: "Is the exhaust manifold part of the engine / or not (it's part of the exhaust)".

Unlike Warranty where is is Faulty Manufacturing, Workmanship, Materials,

This Issue is a Design and Application of a part which Toyota were aware of within any 2 or 3 year original Warranty Period but did not publicly acknowledge. or Address. & then communicate to owners of the early models that might be effected.

They are being required to now address their Design and parts fault in the same way as they have around the world with Brakes and Airbags or Airbag Sensors.

They have moral & Corporate Responsibilities and they knew the EGR System needed modified in 2010 when they went and modified to get engines ready for Euro 5 Emissions, and Euro 5 Engines did not have the problems their Engines from 2009-2010 were starting to have.

They can act like Emus for so long but the Threat of Court Actions are the thing that gets them to get a shift on.

george

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just bought my self a Toyota IQ 2009 Automatic transmission (CVT) and its 1.0 Litre.

It seems to be having problems with the EGR, unfortunately its not assembled in Pakistan and hence there is no warranty, and in any case im guessing the warranty has expired. Would anyone recommend having the EGR cleaned instead of replacing it since im a hundred percent sure i wont be able to find an EGR system in Pakistan. The only other alternative would be to import one and have it replaced by a mechanic in Pakistan. So apart from the advice on the cleaning does any one have any links to any japanese or uae websites which would make an international delivery.
Thanks

I also have another question, Is the new valve exclusive to an iq or has it been replicated on other cars, this is just to know if finding it can be easier if it was used on the vitz/yaris or aygo etc

Yes...I would think cleaning would help... it's the soot in the pipe towards the EGR valve that causes the problems... I am not shure but I think thats it's the computer that then regulates the engine to throttle down...

About the exhaust/EGR/air-intake/first catalyst and stuff...

Does anyone have an official Toyota paper(s) with all the materials that are being replaced, during the upgrade.
If so: please put a copy on this forum.

I have a list, but can not find out what is being changed...

My car is scheduled for coming Thursday.... And I heard that they had the exhaust manifold in backorder.... Why is this replaced? Does the new front catalyst not fit on the original exhaust manifold?

Just wondering what the will replace.

I will put a copy of my Toyota paper here on this forum. On this form it states the changeable parts.

Here is the list with parts:

Toyota-Hoofddorp-iQ-nulfactuur-1-_zps1c5

Hello There!

Red all about this "valve" from this topic because my iQ behaves similarly:

sometimes unwilling to accelerate on low revs. When my car was on fourth annual

service two weeks ago, local Mr. T sent me a questionnaire afterwards by e-mail.

On "other notices" -section I wrote about my situation: that I've been complained

about this when my iQ were under warranty (36mths), and I was informed "that is

normal for one liter engine". I informed about TSB with its number, and that it

was published at 8/2011 when my warranty were still ACTIVE. I also mentioned that

this is a safety matter and should repair under warranty. I did not had any high

expectations, when someone from Mr. T of Finland phoned me next day, and said that

this is a warranty case, and promised even a courtesy car for me!!

So my iQ were on local service today, and all modifications were done. The list of

changed parts looked very similar than above. When I drove home, I noticed more

torque on low revs, much easier to start from lights etc. Car even climbs hills!

I also noticed more vibrations about 1900 rpm in every gear... Let's see what happens

to fuel consumption (before about 5,5 liters/100km when driven in town, 4,5 liters in road).

Last I like to thank You everyone on this topic to inform me such valuable information.

I'd also like to believe that Mr. T reads these topics and acts...

Greetings

FinniQ

• Like 1

Very good reactions of Toyota... good to hear this...

In answer to your previous question, I think the catalytic converter and exhaust manifold are one and the same thing. Cat is part of the manifold hence the need to change the whole thing.

Craig.

• Like 1

That's completely true Craggle... but there is also a second catalyst ... in the first part of the pipe..after the exhaust manifold (with inside the first catalyst)... This pipe is nr. 17410-40200..

:-D

Oh yeah, Your right, Didn't realise there was 2 cats.

So are they saying they need to replace the manifold complete with the first cat and replace the second cat as well?

I don't have the 1.0 version so can't go and check, just curious. :)

Craig.

Hello There!

Red all about this "valve" from this topic because my iQ behaves similarly:

sometimes unwilling to accelerate on low revs. When my car was on fourth annual

service two weeks ago, local Mr. T sent me a questionnaire afterwards by e-mail.

On "other notices" -section I wrote about my situation: that I've been complained

about this when my iQ were under warranty (36mths), and I was informed "that is

normal for one liter engine". I informed about TSB with its number, and that it

was published at 8/2011 when my warranty were still ACTIVE. I also mentioned that

this is a safety matter and should repair under warranty. I did not had any high

expectations, when someone from Mr. T of Finland phoned me next day, and said that

this is a warranty case, and promised even a courtesy car for me!!

So my iQ were on local service today, and all modifications were done. The list of

changed parts looked very similar than above. When I drove home, I noticed more

torque on low revs, much easier to start from lights etc. Car even climbs hills!

I also noticed more vibrations about 1900 rpm in every gear... Let's see what happens

to fuel consumption (before about 5,5 liters/100km when driven in town, 4,5 liters in road).

Last I like to thank You everyone on this topic to inform me such valuable information.

I'd also like to believe that Mr. T reads these topics and acts...

Greetings

FinniQ

When my EGR was replaced I had a similar experience to the above.

• Like 1

hello FinniQ,

you mentioned the vibration after replacing the catalyst..

The same is in my car round 1900-2000 rpm is a strong vibration in the car.

It is a year ago now they changed the catalyst and stil the vibrations are in the car. Only round 1900-2000 rpm.

But my iq is fast and consumes not much fuel. I am happy with that but sometimes I don't like the vibrations, I wonder why the vibrations appear.

• Like 1

Hello again,

Some more new notices: New catalyst gives some strange odor inside car.

I was first to blame when today we drove about 200 km on the local roads.

The odor is stronger when stopping in lights, crossings etc. and disappeared

when "take off". Otherwise I am very pleased about this: My iQ feels like it had

been cured from bad influenza or something (nothing against those who are

really suffering from disease). When I used cruise control which is mounted,

I saw something about 0,5 - 0,7 liter / 100 km less consumption of fuel when

I was driving familiar local roads (80/100 km/h). Let's see...

Greetings from North

FinniQ

Odor could be the "production" grease on the outside of every new metal thing...

Due to the heat it will evaporate off...

Re EGR Valve problem on early IQ's -

A few months ago I completed a UK VOSA safety report regarding the EGR valve problem being a safety issue on IQ's, VOSA have now investigated the issue and reported back to me, a part extract of there letter is below FYI:

------------------------------------------------------

The hesitation and limp-home selection of the engine conditions are a result of the EGR pipe blocking with carbon from the combustion process. Poor driving style, vehicle usage and poor quality fuel amongst other things can contribute the build up of carbon which are factors outside the manufacturers control. However, to mitigate against those factors a Technical Service Bulletin has been issued which changes the position of the EGR pipe in the manifold, thereby reducing the amount of carbon it picks up and thereby reducing the need to select limp-home. The carbon build up can also affect the EGR valve operation. There have been no other reports of such long hesitation, but there are reports of short periods of hesitation and lack of power. Additionally, a search of VOSA s defects and recalls databases has revealed no similar reports. As such, on this occasion, no further action will be taken.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As it seems that I am the only person who has taken the time to report this specific safety defect to VOSA in spite of me suggesting you could do on previous posts on this forum. You can now see from the above extract from there letter to me they have decided to take no further action.

So those of you who do believe this is a safety issue and should be a Toyota recall item can only blame yourselfs for no action taken by VOSA for not completing the VOSA form and making it an issue to them.

I have done my bit and do not intend to take the matter any further, I have more important issues to focus on at the moment. Those of you who have the problem and are out of warranty will just have to pay for the modification yourselfs.

The moral of this story for me is that if enough people complain to the right places then action is more likely to be taken, in this case I am the only person that bothered to complain to the right authority (IE VOSA in UK) in an attempt to help others (my ERG valve was already changed) that will also suffer the EGR problem as a safety issue.

Positive Regards, Bob Kneale.

• Like 1

Well... turns out that Toyota puts this issue under "warranty". It turns out that after my letter to Toyota, stating about responsibility and liability after a possible traffic accident due to power-loss, they changed their mind and puts the thing under "warranty". In fact they do not talk about "warranty" but just state that T pays the bill for replacing the necessary parts.

In the paper of the Toyota Garage it's a total of € 2510,64.... All is now done and at no charge.

I even got a free "Auris Hybrid, with all options" for the day.

So I am very satisfied that this has been done. Although it took a lot of emails and convincing T.

Further.

1. When I drove off at the garage, it was very clear that the car was much quicker / nippier / more power it seems, for sure quicker and nippier.

It drives faster with less throttle.

2. The sound at 2000 herz is the same.

3. There is a soft high pitched whistle-tone in the engine compartment... no idea what this is. Will pay attention on this...could be a leak??

4. No papers were given. I had to sign papers when I brought the car...were was explained what they would do. Turns out that Toyota has a standard "package" of things the garage had to replace.

And they would do exactly as Toyota ordered to do.

Anyways...I am happy this is done... But it will be hard work for any other person with an iQ from before June 2010....

I am going to get a 0-facture-Bill... But that will only state that something is done on my iQ. I will publish this as it comes in.

Have a nice day, y'all... :-)

Well... turns out that Toyota puts this issue under "warranty". It turns out that after my letter to Toyota, stating about responsibility and liability after a possible traffic accident due to power-loss, they changed their mind and puts the thing under "warranty". In fact they do not talk about "warranty" but just state that T pays the bill for replacing the necessary parts.

In the paper of the Toyota Garage it's a total of € 2510,64.... All is now done and at no charge.

I even got a free "Auris Hybrid, with all options" for the day.

So I am very satisfied that this has been done. Although it took a lot of emails and convincing T.

Further.

1. When I drove off at the garage, it was very clear that the car was much quicker / nippier / more power it seems, for sure quicker and nippier.

It drives faster with less throttle.

2. The sound at 2000 herz is the same.

3. There is a soft high pitched whistle-tone in the engine compartment... no idea what this is. Will pay attention on this...could be a leak??

4. No papers were given. I had to sign papers when I brought the car...were was explained what they would do. Turns out that Toyota has a standard "package" of things the garage had to replace.

And they would do exactly as Toyota ordered to do.

Anyways...I am happy this is done... But it will be hard work for any other person with an iQ from before June 2010....

I am going to get a 0-facture-Bill... But that will only state that something is done on my iQ. I will publish this as it comes in.

Have a nice day, y'all... :-)

Glad you got it all sorted. ! I got my EGR valve replaced about 9 months ago under Toyota warranty, I recon this is not new re Toyota doing it under warranty. The real issue is that perhaps it should be a Toyota Recall item, which currently it is not.

• Like 1

You're right Bob.

It is not a recall issue... but T has a defined package of materials for this problem.

Anyway I am glad that Toyota was so "kind/friendly/wise" to do this for free.

I heard that my T garage gets paid for 4 hours of work for this. But the garage-guy told me it was way more work, it was not easy to reach all the materials. Strangely enough he states that this costs the garage money... then why the bother to do this? Also the handing over of a barrow car (with no advertising signs on it) for free, costs them money, he said. But this was done as a service.

They do want to make money I assume? So...?

I have not made any pictures yet of the repaired engine, to look at the differences. At first glance it looked very well / all the bolts and nuts look very clean and had a greenish varnish / lock-tight? between them.

You're right Bob.

It is not a recall issue... but T has a defined package of materials for this problem.

Anyway I am glad that Toyota was so "kind/friendly/wise" to do this for free.

I heard that my T garage gets paid for 4 hours of work for this. But the garage-guy told me it was way more work, it was not easy to reach all the materials. Strangely enough he states that this costs the garage money... then why the bother to do this? Also the handing over of a barrow car (with no advertising signs on it) for free, costs them money, he said. But this was done as a service.

They do want to make money I assume? So...?

I have not made any pictures yet of the repaired engine, to look at the differences. At first glance it looked very well / all the bolts and nuts look very clean and had a greenish varnish / lock-tight? between them.

Peter, from memory my dealer also stated about 4 hrs (ish) for the work. they were quick to respond and get authority to do the work, it took them less than 24hrs from receiving my letter to getting my IQ booked in to a later date when all the parts were available.

• Like 1

True...so true Bob..

They made an appointment in about one week time... though a couple of days before they phoned and stated that to their sorrow they had one article still in "backorder" and this was the "exhaust-manifold"...

New appointment for 2 weeks later...

So I was phoned for this service on about 20 of September... and worked on the 10th of October... So that's about 2 X 2 weeks later... Rather quick in my opinion.

This part (exhaust manifold) probably had to come from far away...

Turns out that the only thing they have done...is replace the exhaust manifold / catalyst...for the newer model... The EGR valve itself has not been not replaced...

The car runs much better though.... And the replaced part is the most important part.... yes?

Before:

DSC_0866_zpseb523d27.jpg

After replacement...

887081e4-bda3-4388-ade1-933c4f689d34_zps

Well booked daughters 2010 iq into local toyota dealer for service tomorrow and have asked them to look at the passenger window rubber as twisted and also told them on occasions it very sluggish to pull away and showed them the toyota service bulletin. They are looking at both issues tomorrow hopefully will get the mod done under warranty, fingers crossed, but don't hold up much hope.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links