Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glovebox Lock

dransfield

Hi All,

Today, for the first time ever, I decided lock some valuables in the glovebox of my 2004 avensis tourer....all went well unil I tried to unlock it! Am not trying to use the grey key just the master one. Any ideas how to get open? Is the lock tailored to the specific ignition key of the car or is its operation generic?

thanks

Bryan

The grey key which is the valet key wont unlock it.

Your supossed to put the key in and it will only turn one way to unlock.

Once you have turned the key, remove it without turning it back to the orgianl position.

Make sure you remove key from lock when you try to open.

Yes that is why I have stated that I am not using the grey key - because I know it wont work, I wanted to avoid people advising which key I should be using!

Ok lets be clear, I inserted a master key and turned it one quater turn clockwise to lock, I removed the key. When I wanted to unlock, I inserted the same master key but it will not let me turn anticlockwise to unlock, it is like I am using the wrong key

Any suggestions?

Yes that is why I have stated that I am not using the grey key - because I know it wont work, I wanted to avoid people advising which key I should be using!

Ok lets be clear, I inserted a master key and turned it one quater turn clockwise to lock, I removed the key. When I wanted to unlock, I inserted the same master key but it will not let me turn anticlockwise to unlock, it is like I am using the wrong key

Any suggestions?

A. Remove the key, turn it 180 degrees, and try again. This way you will be using the other edge of the key.

B. Try jiggling the key in and out as you turn it--maybe you'll find a sweet spot where it will turn.

C. Try another key.

D. Spray some powdered graphite into the lock and work the key in and out to lubricate the pins. There may be a stuck pin since it's never been used before.

E. Have a locksmith pick it, and then never lock it again.

I got the feeling your car has had new locks fitted in its life doors/ignition/boot, if i am right then you need someone to pick it.

My impression was that a lock mechanism which had never been used in over 7 years might be binding, or at least a little sticky. A little powdered graphite couldn't hurt.

Ahhhhh, Pat2u you are on the right lines:......After finally confessing to my wife that her iPad is trapped in the car, she has told me that when she bought the car from Toyota she complained that the glovebox door was badly marked and a nice man took one out of another car and fitted it there and then.......

Mr T's position is that if the key was able to lock it, it should be able to unlock it

Will update how difficult it is to get into locked glovebox without the correct key!

Ahhhhh, Pat2u you are on the right lines:......After finally confessing to my wife that her iPad is trapped in the car, she has told me that when she bought the car from Toyota she complained that the glovebox door was badly marked and a nice man took one out of another car and fitted it there and then.......

Mr T's position is that if the key was able to lock it, it should be able to unlock it

Will update how difficult it is to get into locked glovebox without the correct key!

Ah, so the truth finally comes out! You would think if he swapped out the door, he would have kept the original lock on it. I remember on my old Civic, the lock mechanism for the glove box was so rudimentary, you could open it with a nail file!

Ah, so the truth finally comes out! You would think if he swapped out the door, he would have kept the original lock on it. I remember on my old Civic, the lock mechanism for the glove box was so rudimentary, you could open it with a nail file!

At least you had a glove box lock,toyota were to stingy to put one on my Auris.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links