Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Fault C1554

Deb J 1004

My 1.0 Sport is just 6 years old with 52k on the clock. After having spent £600 on a new clutch last year (common problem apparently!), it seems as though I may have to spend a further few hundred to repair the power steering.

After a couple of weeks of intermittent problems on starting engine from cold (PS kicks back in after 30 seconds or so), it has now gone completely. Diagnostics at local garage show error code C1554 Power Supply Relay fault. Tried a new Battery in case it was a low power fault, but luckily local garage admitted that hadn't solved the problem and put my existing Battery back in at no cost! Initial google searches suggest I may need the whole ECU replaced at megabucks.

Anyone have any experience of this, or advice please? MTIA.

ive experianced this many times and repaired it many times...by fitting a new ecu sorry mate

Thanks guys.....as I suspected! Slight update, the Battery that was absolutely fine before local garage took it out, died on me two days later. Hey Ho! I'm now used to not having the PS, suppose I'll be living with it a while longer then.....

• 2 years later...

im having the same issue,intertrmittant power steering,new Battery fitted,now no power steering,is it not possible thats its the relay under the bonnet,or is the relay part of the ecu? toyota were no help at all,its also coming up with the same code c1554 fault in electrical circuit,any advice would be great thanks steve

I would check power supply and ground to steering ecu first, ecu should be next to steering motor

• 4 years later...

I was able to rectify the problem by clearing the fault code using my laptop and Mini-VCI J2534 OBDII connector (bought from ebay) to my 2007 Toyota Tarago/Previa/Estima (ACR50).  You'll also need to install Toyota's Techstream software as per Mini-VCI instructions.  The fault code was reporting overheating of the power steering unit.  I guess it was a hot day and my brother in law was over enthusiastic with turning the steering wheel whilst in the parking lot when the P/S light came on and the power steering disabled.  It's so hard to turn the steering wheel when power steering is disabled.

The trouble code indicates there's a power relay failure for the power steering, but once I cleared the trouble code, and restarted the car, the P/S light turned off after a couple of seconds and the steering wheel was back to normal again.  Saved me good time and money going to the mechanic to do the same thing.

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2019 at 2:25 AM, philpreston3072 said:

I was able to rectify the problem by clearing the fault code using my laptop and Mini-VCI J2534 OBDII connector (bought from ebay) to my 2007 Toyota Tarago/Previa/Estima (ACR50).  You'll also need to install Toyota's Techstream software as per Mini-VCI instructions.  The fault code was reporting overheating of the power steering unit.  I guess it was a hot day and my brother in law was over enthusiastic with turning the steering wheel whilst in the parking lot when the P/S light came on and the power steering disabled.  It's so hard to turn the steering wheel when power steering is disabled.

The trouble code indicates there's a power relay failure for the power steering, but once I cleared the trouble code, and restarted the car, the P/S light turned off after a couple of seconds and the steering wheel was back to normal again.  Saved me good time and money going to the mechanic to do the same thing.

Hi there I'm having this issue at the moment an was looking at getting a new ecu !! after clearing did the problem ever happen again or need part replace a short while after i.e is this just putting a band aid over a massive cut lol many thanks .p.s wouldn't happen to be local to West Yorkshire? Lol 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links