Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mixed Tyre Load Index For Yaris, Is It Ok?

redY

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this Toyota Club, but there's something that I want to ask...I hope I'm at the right place.

My Yaris' rear tyres were worn, so I went to KwikFit to get a new pair.

I decided to get the Marangoni Verso tyres, which were 185/60/15 88H, I realised that the load index were higher (88H), I asked the mechanic if it was ok to have 2 88H tyres at the rear and 2 84H tyres at the front. The mechanic said it was ok, as long as the tyre size is the same and the speed rating is the same...so i went for it and got them fitted. After fitting it, the drive was more stable and more comfortable.

My question is, it is really ok to fit 2 88H tyres at the rear and 2 84H tyres at the front? (The standard tyres for the car were 84H).

Would it fail a MOT test? Would it affect insurance policies or anything?

I now have 2 Marangoni Verso 185/60/15 88H at the rear and 2 Roadstone Classe Premiere 185/60/15 84H at the front.

Thanks!

=)

Technically, as long as the load index is at least as much as the original equipment tyres, then you're OK (84 on the Yaris), so technically and legally you are OK.

But I must admit that I winced when I read your post.

If you can take some constructive advice from an oldie for next time you need to replace the tyres....

The tyres are the only thing holding your car onto the road. There are many online tests that show that there are major differences in grip between different tyres.

The manufacturer spends a lot of time and money making sure that the handling is balanced with the right compromise betweeen understeer and oversteer but they assume that you have tyres on each end with the same level of grip. If you use different makes or models of tyre on front and back, you're going to have potentially different levels of grip bewteen the front and rear ends, so in a "sticky situation" (such as going into a bend a bit too fast or hitting a slippery bit of road on a curve) you could find the car breaking away in a less "stable" way than the manufacturer designed it to do.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/tyre-test-why-budget-tyres-could-kill/251766

I always try to swap my tyres around from front to rear as they wear so that they all wear out at the same time and I can change all four so that they are always identical.

I once had a car with different front & rear brands. It felt really wierd when driving around roundabouts. I never thought it ws the tyres because I expected that not to be noticable at normal driving speeds, but when I changed the tyres eventually, so that all four were the same, it transformed the feel of the car - even when driving at normal speeds.

The other advice is that whilst I appreciate that money can be very tight, I always try to but tyres from the "known brand" manufacturers - again, online tyre tests show that unknown brands can have much less grip and take many metres longer to stop in an emergency. Many of the major manufacturers sell a second cheaper brand made in their own factories that are cheaper but still give good grip if you're on a budget.

If nothing else, before you buy a new tyre, look it up on an online tyre test to make sure that it has at least reasonable reviews. Many of the online tyre sellers such as mytyres have test reviews against each tyre they sell, so they are a good source of reference...

http://www.tyretest.com/

Hope that helps...

Hi alfiejts,

Thanks for your reply.

Now that I know its OK to have different load tyres and legal, I'm reliefed! =P

When i bought the Yaris a year ago, it came with 2 rear Bridgestone B250 tyres (which I believe were factory fitted) and 2 Roadstone Tyres at the front, which were new at the time.

After driven the Yaris for 4 weeks, I bought a tyre gauge to measure tyre pressures, I measured the left rear tyre, it was 19psi! The dealer I bought it from didnt even bother to inflate it properly.

Now the Roadstone tyres still have about 6mm left, just thought its a waste if i change the front tyres too and throw the Roadstone ones away. But once it wears out, I'll change the tyres to the same ones! =D

I expected the Yaris to drive more smooth, but at the moment, its like driving a shopping trolley, rough at the front, due to Roadstone tyres.

When the Marangoni tyres got fitted at the rear, I can instantly feel comfort and grip. The Roadstone tyres are noisy, hard and not as grippy, and its certainly a budget tyre.

Apparently, Marangoni tyres are made by Pirelli, so I went for them. The information you given were very useful. I will bear that in mind!

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated! =)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links