Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T-Sport New Clutch Judder And Oil Consumption

teamdirtydog

HI all,

Bit of a funny one... T-sport with 106k went in for a new clutch a couple of weeks back. New clutch judders when engaging (through the car not the pedal) so went back yesterday for another new one. Mechanic has called me today and says the new clutch (both Exeddy) is exactly the same!

Any ideas if its a bad batch of clutches or a problem with the flywheel? Surely if its a flywheel problem it wouldnt just present itself now?

Also asked him to look at a funny noise on idle, he says he needed to put in 3 litres of oil to top it up!!! I would have thought the oil light would have come on if it was low!???

Cheers

he needed to put in 3 litres of oil to top it up!!! I would have thought the oil light would have come on if it was low!???

Cheers

:eek: That's virtually a sump full of oil.I'm sure you wouldn't let your oil level run that low,would you?

Also,I would have thought the oil pressure would have been low enough to light the warning lamp :unsure:

i think the oil seal on the flywheel end of the crankshaft might have gone, it would certainly explain your juddering and loss of oil

i think the oil seal on the flywheel end of the crankshaft might have gone, it would certainly explain your juddering and loss of oil

Any mechanic worth his salt would have spotted that a mile away, there would have to be some oil contamination and staining.

cheers guys,

Flywheel was taken off this time and checked over - all ok! So out came the second Exeddy clutch and he put in an original Toyota one, problem sorted! New Toyota clutch drives perfect.

No oil leaks/staining so I guess the engine is burning a bit of oil which I hadnt expected so ill be keeping a damn close eye on it now. I cannot believe I let it get that low but I sort of expected some kind of warning also. My mates VW's have always used a lot of oil but the warning lights worked on them :)

Are these engines known to drink a bit when they get older? Mines on 107k.

They drink full stop, mine with around 60k miles does use some but saying that I enjoy lift :thumbsup:

I service mine every 5k just to keep things nice

my other car is a smart and if use any at all its goodbye to the engine so ill make sure I check the rolla as often as I do the smart now.

Im used to my old Surf, big diesel engine that has nice black oil in that leaks out more than anything else :P Used to change that every 5000kms.

What oil you guys use? I have been using the cheap Toyota stuff which I think is semi-synth. My mech has put in fully synth 5w30 in - hope thats ok.

on the vw they have a low oil level indicator to let you no to top up but the corollas don,t if oil light comes on its because no oil reached the oil pressure switch and by then it might be to late

I've got 50k on mine and it uses zero. between oil changes I don't see the level drop at all.

You jammy begger :lol:

saying that it isn't as bad as some cars I have had in the past

you said you got the exedy clutch i'm assuming this was part of an adl blueprint clutch kit and flywheel? if so then the clutch plate is probably made by NKK or NNK is it? Either way those clutch plates are absolute cack and that's why it judders from below bite and through the bite point. my car does the same.

believe it or not my adl blueprint clutch kit include an NKK/NNK clutch plate, an exedy clutch cover and bearing by another company. and the exedy clutch cover was stamped LUK!

times like this i wish i'd have listened to my mechanic who said get LUK clutch kit and flywheel...I read somewhere the "driveability" of the blueprint clutch was better and went for that, bad move!

I've got 50k on mine and it uses zero. between oil changes I don't see the level drop at all.

Mines on 50k and exactly the same.

why wait for the oil light to come on and give you warning before you check your oil???

when the oil light comes on its to late as damage is being done, its an oil pressure light that operates at low pressure of around 8psi, it is NOT an oil level light

• 3 years later...

Hi guys. It's my 1st post here, exhuming an old thread....lol. Anyway, just wanted to say I too have the same problem. I get judder in 1st about 60% of the time, which seems to depend on the temp of the engine. When it's really cold, the clutch seems smooth, until its at max operating temp and in traffic, the juddering is back. I've only had the car about 7 weeks.

Model is a 2005 3-door Corolla colour collection with the 1.6 VVTi engine. I always like to try and drive smoothly with gear changes, especially if I have people in the car, so the juddering I have had to master by not fully engaging the clutch to just get the car rolling then into 2nd. I need it to be smooth.... :cry: