Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Whining Noise

gasc2188

I've just bought an 07 plate Toyota Auris 1.6 T Spirit. I'm extrememly pleased with the car but worried about a noise I keep hearing. Its got 42,000 miles so its not high mileage. When I am driving at about 40 - 50 mph, and I accelerate very slightly and then ease off the accelerator, there is a type of whining noise. Its almost like a road noise, but I know its not because when Im accelerating the noise dissappears. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Variable Valves doing their thing?

Gearbox or differential maybe. It may well be normal too as our 1.4 Corolla has what I would describe as an audible noise a bit like that and so too did my Corolla TSport... it is and was normal on both. However my 1.33 Auris is definitely much improved on that score.

I've just bought an 07 plate Toyota Auris 1.6 T Spirit. I'm extrememly pleased with the car but worried about a noise I keep hearing. Its got 42,000 miles so its not high mileage. When I am driving at about 40 - 50 mph, and I accelerate very slightly and then ease off the accelerator, there is a type of whining noise. Its almost like a road noise, but I know its not because when Im accelerating the noise dissappears. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,i have the same model as you and the same year though reg in 2008.its just done a little over 24000.i get a slight whine too,its not very loud and if the car had been a diesel i doubt i would hear it.

Not checked at what revs it starts at,but then it does not do it on some trips.

I am going out in the car for the day tomorrow and (if i remember and it does it) see what revs/speed it kicks in at and post the results.

Im not concerned about it.i had the gearbox oil level checked when i first noticed it and it was ok.

It's probably the gearbox. Try going downhill with 1st gear, 40-50 km/h and clucth pressed. It should be the same noise you hear and as the car accelerates by itself, it should become louder.

Thanks everybody for your replies, really is appreciated.

Hi,i have the same model as you and the same year though reg in 2008.its just done a little over 24000.i get a slight whine too,its not very loud and if the car had been a diesel i doubt i would hear it.

Not checked at what revs it starts at,but then it does not do it on some trips.

I am going out in the car for the day tomorrow and (if i remember and it does it) see what revs/speed it kicks in at and post the results.

Im not concerned about it.i had the gearbox oil level checked when i first noticed it and it was ok.

Hi again

been out in the car and manage to produce the whining noise.

It is heard at approx 49 mph,at an idicated 2300 revs,it only happens in 5th gear (top).

even the slightest increse or decrease of these figures and the sound is gone.

So in normal driving you would accelerate through this speed and not notice it.

on rougher road surfaces the sound would drowned out.

Where it is noticable is on a road with a 50 mph restrction where driving at the speed near where appears.

I am not at all concerned about this

Mark,you could check if your car whines at the same revs/speed as mine does and post your findings.

I've got a whining noise in my car, it's our lass constantly going on and on lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have a 2005 corolla 1.8 petrol, manual gearbox, from new, around 30,000 miles i noticed a whine in top gear which got worse. It had full Toyota service but I noticed that never included gearbox oil (or sparkplugs for that matter), I changed the oil, twice and tried additives, but the whine progressed to a grating and there is no doubt a gearbox overhaul is needed now. It looks like this possibly is an issue with all Toyota manual gearboxes. They have made them too light and geared high for economy, but now don,t last! I will never buy a Toyota again. If you have a new Toyota I recommend getting the gearbox oil changed regularly and keep the revs slightly higher than seems necessary. The bigger engines have the power to pull from low revs but the gearbox can´t take it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links