Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T 180 D4D 2007

mark1966

I purchased a 07 plate t180 D4d in march. The car came with a purchased 6 month warranty.

The VSC and RTC lights came on infrequently and decided to put it into the local toyota garage whilst still under warranty to check for a problem.

They advised that the catalytic convertor was faulty and as a result excess oil was being used up and this was causing problems with the pistons(?)

I was then advised that Toyota had recognised this problem and while not a recall the garage would provide me with a new engine!! i asked for this to be repeated several times. I spoke wioth an engineer and he stated it would be a reconditioned engine and the warranty on it would extend to march 2012- in effect 6 months.

I have not had a problem with the car and it has a full service history with no mention of any problems.

I have googled the problem and scanned the toyota website but have not come across any more information. Can someone out there advise about this. It seems to good to be true but concern is that will be changing something that has not caused me any problems so far. What is a reconditioned engine and how can I check its providence?

Is there anythingelse I should be concerned about.

this is my first Toyota and have been pleased with it so far and only down side has been drop in MPG from old VW to 40mpg but this no doubt is result of far greater engine size.

Many Thanks

This has been discussed on the RAV4 site by owners of the T180 versions who have had engines changed FOC,and welcome to TOC

Del

This has been discussed on the RAV4 site by owners of the T180 versions who have had engines changed FOC,and welcome to TOC

Del

Del,

Many thanks and will look at the rav 4 site.

Its a common problem with the AD series engines 1ad ftv, 2ad ftv and 2ad fhv (these being 1ad(2.0) 2ad(2.2) . Build date Avensis april 2005 to feb 2009 rav4 july 2005 to december 2008 auris september 2006 to september 2009 and verso april 2005 to november 2008. I've had a new engine 7k ago due to erratic tick over turned out the engine was consuming oil and causing the egr valve to clog up, also the car was in continual regeneration mode. The under cover warranty is for cars aged to 7 years old or 111846 miles with service history. The conditions covered 1. oil consumption worse than 0.5 litres per 621 miles. 2. over heating and head gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons. Toyota also for other out of warranty claims regarding the ad series engines would accept the following as being linked to a oil consumtion issue due to carbon clogging, egr valve, dpnr, 5th injector, egr cooler, blocked manifold. I managed to come across this information from a toyota warranty bulletin. Hope this helps all owners who's car is fitted with a AD series engine.

• Like 1

I purchased a 07 plate t180 D4d in march. The car came with a purchased 6 month warranty.

The VSC and RTC lights came on infrequently and decided to put it into the local toyota garage whilst still under warranty to check for a problem.

They advised that the catalytic convertor was faulty and as a result excess oil was being used up and this was causing problems with the pistons(?)

I was then advised that Toyota had recognised this problem and while not a recall the garage would provide me with a new engine!! i asked for this to be repeated several times. I spoke wioth an engineer and he stated it would be a reconditioned engine and the warranty on it would extend to march 2012- in effect 6 months.

I have not had a problem with the car and it has a full service history with no mention of any problems.

I have googled the problem and scanned the toyota website but have not come across any more information. Can someone out there advise about this. It seems to good to be true but concern is that will be changing something that has not caused me any problems so far. What is a reconditioned engine and how can I check its providence?

Is there anythingelse I should be concerned about.

this is my first Toyota and have been pleased with it so far and only down side has been drop in MPG from old VW to 40mpg but this no doubt is result of far greater engine size.

Many Thanks

Mark I had a similar experience with My Rav4 T180 with the infamous 2AD engine . My car started burning oil....

I took the car to Westlands Toyota (Worcester) who replaced the entire engine along with Injectors. EGR valve . Water pump, Cat converter. And a few other bits.

I also asked for the clutch to be replaced and was asked to pay only for the parts which was very fair.. Westlands even discounted the clutch parts !!

Result is that the car is a lot quieter , Does not or at least has not so far burned any oil (Engine only done 3 weeks ago and around 1500 miles)Its also far far better on fuel than before !!

Wee Charlie.