Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tow Bar

Barlow2038

• 7 years later...
On 9/12/2011 at 7:41 PM, Jan&tone said:

Towing somerhing has never been an ambition of mine, but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would buy a Prius and then try and tow something with it??? A RAV perhaps, or even an Avensis Tourer... But an Auris or Prius???

Next someone will want to put a towbar on a Yaris!!! :yahoo:

Noone buys a Prius intending to tow haha.... however one reason... I'm a mother of 3 living in London I own a prius as its economic and great for heavy traffic areas.

I wished to toe a small trailer as the boot of the prius is not large enough for 4x two weaks worth of clothing for us all, plus 4x sleeping bags tent camp stove and everything else needed for a camping trip..... This is one reason for wanting to tow. 

Now having to hire a bigger car just for two weaks out of London.....  Its rediculouse! Life would have been a lot easer less hassle and a lot cheaper if I could have put a trailer on the back. 

Our first trailer was back in 1980 with a Hillman Imp, then afterwards with a series on Mini saloons.  The trailer was a small one with wooden sides, and was great when we went camping.

Since then, we've had a couple more trailers latterly a slightly larger one we towed with a Peugeot 205, and then a larger one again.  Last car we towed it with was a Renault Clio.

Then, we bought a Yaris Hybrid and to our dismay, we can't tow, just like you Prius owners.  This is stupid in the extreme, not being able to tow with a hybrid.  If you can fit five adults inside plus all their luggage and stuff on the roof-rack, why not allow for a small camping trailer?  The train weight is the same as a the gross weight, so the towing capacity is zero.

Why not have the train weight 100Kg more than the gross weight?  This would allow a small camping trailer legally.

We had to sell our trailer, and that funded a pair of Toyota roof-bars.  They work very well indeed and are sort of a compensation for not having a small trailer any more.

Mick.

Not quite true Keith, as my new Gen 3 came with 17” wheels AND solar opening roof......I was expecting 15”s

I also fitted a Thule aftermarket tow hitch for our Thule bike rack, and drove down to Spain several times........uneventfully

16 minutes ago, barrycoll said:

I also fitted a Thule aftermarket tow hitch for our Thule bike rack, and drove down to Spain several times........uneventfully

Have you informed your insurance company?  If so, what did they say?  Have you read your VIN plate?  If so, what does it say regarding weights?

Enclosed is a shot of ours from our Yaris. Note that the gross vehicle weight is the same as the gross train weight.  ie zero towing capacity.  It doesn't mean you can't fit a tow hitch, but you aren't legally allowed to tow.

Mick.

Jennifer VIN Plate.jpeg

The Institute of Advanced Motorist (IAM) insurance is very relaxed about tow hitches....Thule are more concerned, and don’t manufacture if not kosher, as it were

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links