Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need An Engine Strip A Rebuild!

Pow17

Well guys I'm afraid I have been a complete tool.

I was driving down the bypass coming home from one of the cruises around my way and like a tube went to shift into 4th gear but instead hit 2nd I have no idea how I managed to do this. At first I thought I had just destroyed my clutch which is no biggy but it is a lot worse than that. My car is miss firing and is knocking slightly. I am gutted!! I took the cam cover off and there is no visible damage to anything. I was told to check the lift bolts but there still intact. So I'm afraid it's going to have to be stripped. It's a 2004 t sport corolla.

Sorry to hear about this. Can I ask, what speed you were going when you shifted into 2nd and were you coming from 3rd gear or 5th? What RPM did you hit when you shifted gear, was it in the lift band (e.g. above 6,200 RPM)? How many miles has your TS done?

This shouldnt break the engine should it? I mean, this is what the rev limiter is for no?

A rev limiter cuts the fuel so you cant over rev it with the accelerator pedal, but it wont do anything if you shift into the wrong gear like you did.

As above really

You may have dodged a bullet though, miss shifting is known to destroy the oil pump on the 2zzge which doesn't appear to have happened in your case

As above really

You may have dodged a bullet though, miss shifting is known to destroy the oil pump on the 2zzge which doesn't appear to have happened in your case

also the valve springs dont like being over revved :thumbsup: hope you get it sorted

:thumbsup::thumbsup: a mate of mine has had a look he thinks ive skipped a tooth on the timing and damged some bearings in the top end so should be fixed within the next week

When this happens, there is possibility to over-rev and your valves to hit on the pistons and get damaged.

The valves slightly bend and this is why you hear the engine slighlty knocking. The engine is missfiring because the valves do not apply correctly and you have loss of compression.

My guess is that you have to change at least the 8 exhaust valves. (because usually they are the ones that get the first hit when you over rev. Your intake valves might be intact).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links