Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Your Facelift Gen 7 140 Use Much Oil?

iceland_potter

Hi all,

I havn't checked the 140's oil level for a while, and today I decided to, and it was below the minimum level on the dipstick :eek:

Question is, does your Facelift 140 use much oil? I know some pre-facelift <02 plates had oil consumption issues, but my Civic naturally uses some oil you see, so wondered if it was an expected trait of the facelift Celica?

I am also worried as to what damage may have been done to my car too :( although I'm not sure I want to hear the answer :crybaby::angry::blink:

How below the minimum level was it?

The facelifts do not suffer from any known oil burning issues. Yes some engine (all manufacturers) can use a certain amount of oil, but the engines need to burn a hell of a lot to be of concern with the them.

Have you been high revving a lot recently?

As to damage, it depends just how low & for how long. If you haven't topped the oil up yet do so, then just keep an ear open for any strange rattle noises from the engine or if it doesn't feel 'normal'.

Hopefully you've caught it before any issues.

Might be worht taking off the undertrays to make sure you have no leaks.

The facelifts do not suffer from any known oil burning issues. Yes some engine (all manufacturers) can use a certain amount of oil, but the engines need to burn a hell of a lot to be of concern with the them.

As to damage, it depends just how low & for how long. If you haven't topped the oil up yet do so, then just keep an ear open for any strange rattle noises from the engine or if it doesn't feel 'normal'.

Hi Edwardio mate, long time no see! Thanks for the response mate.

It was about 3mm below the minimum, so it still registered on the stick, I was just shocked at it!

I high rev it once a week:when I get to drive it (the Mrs drives it in the week like Miss Daisy, covering just 4 miles all day.)

I've topped up now mate, I went to a shop on the journey home from when I checked it. I couldn't find anything as decent as I put in it (I use Silkolene Pro S or Millers) just some stuff called "carlube" but it was 5w40 fully synthetic at least. Anyway it needed a litre to get it back up to level.

It drove fine before, and drives fine now. Perhaps sounded slightly meatier since I topped up, although that may well be placebo.

Hope I don't have any problems. I am getting it serviced next weekend after this fiasco. I just hope there aren't metal shards from the engine floating around in my oil or something :eek: makes me feel sick.

I notice you've done your conversion now! Did you sell your 140 and get a 190 before you did the supercharging in the end or swap the 140 block out for a 190?

It was about 3mm below the minimum, so it still registered on the stick, I was just shocked at it.

A tiny amount such as 3mm below will not cause internal damage, so you can sleep easy in your bed.

I'm sure from now on you'll check the dipstick regularly :)

Hi...I have the exact problem in my 2004 face lift 140, I only use my car three or four times a week...maybe 130 miles a week total maximum, but most of time I reckon I do about 100 miles a week, I check my oil religiously every week and top up every fortnight, with Castrol gtx fully synthetic 5/30..,I put about a litre in each time but I've heard all the vvti engines had this oil burn problem after 40,000 miles, mines done 76,000 miles now and my service history is impeccable, I've got used to this which isn't a problem now, although it's kinda more expensive to maintain than other cars!....BUT!!! What really bothers me is squeaky brakes! I'm kinda sure other celica owners have this problem...my brakes squeak ONLY in reverse....when I allow my celica to roll or drive in reverse....I've just had my discs and pads, front and rear replaced professionally about six weeks ago aswell so it's kinda irritating....any owners with ideas on sorting this? Regards....,

It was about 3mm below the minimum, so it still registered on the stick, I was just shocked at it!

I high rev it once a week:when I get to drive it (the Mrs drives it in the week like Miss Daisy, covering just 4 miles all day.)

I've topped up now mate, I went to a shop on the journey home from when I checked it. I couldn't find anything as decent as I put in it (I use Silkolene Pro S or Millers) just some stuff called "carlube" but it was 5w40 fully synthetic at least. Anyway it needed a litre to get it back up to level.

It drove fine before, and drives fine now. Perhaps sounded slightly meatier since I topped up, although that may well be placebo.

Hope I don't have any problems. I am getting it serviced next weekend after this fiasco. I just hope there aren't metal shards from the engine floating around in my oil or something :eek: makes me feel sick.

I notice you've done your conversion now! Did you sell your 140 and get a 190 before you did the supercharging in the end or swap the 140 block out for a 190?

Hi fella, yeah long time no speak. I'm mostly on Celica club & only pop on here every so often.

Man the engine conversion was ages ago. No still got the same car, just now with a heavily modified 190 engine that is supercharged running 380BHP at the flywheel. :D

Now your oil issue. For that amount you should be ok. As you probably have no leaks, it must be due to the oil being burnt. Now at this point I'd say chuck in some seafoam to give the whole engine & fuel system a clean out, but as you are putting it in for a service it's not worth it.

Just keep an eye on it for now, but I think you'll be ok.