Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbos Vs Superchargers

Steve

Turbos Vs Superchargers, in your opinion which is better? and why?

TURBO TURBO! :lol:

What's next, Forced Induction vs Naturally Aspirated?? :P

TURBO TURBO! :lol:

What's next, Forced Induction vs Naturally Aspirated?? :P

Power for power I'd prefer a decent N/A to a turbo... the problem is to do N/A properly, it costs a !Removed! fortune, which is why it is pretty much limited to expensive perfomance cars.

I have had lot of turbo cars that people would consider pretty fast. You can't beat the instant throttle responce for a decent N/A on throttle bodies.

If I build another supra it will be a V8 on throttle bodies.... unless I decide that I can't afford that route in which case I'll supercharge it.

Neither one is out and out better than the other.

Problem with superchargers is the power they zap from the engine just to run them in the first place and that they run out of puff quickly. Problem with Turbos is that you get lag but more power overall.

Some people have TwinCharged their cars but the problem you then have very strange power delivery and all the extra weight of having both devices on your engine - kinda defeats the point.

Personally im with Charlie - highly tuned NA engines are the best in my book.

Anybody can slap a turbo/supercharger onto an engine and see results. But getting NA power - now thats an art!

For my next car i want an FT86 (Or whatever they decide to call it when it comes to production) with a lightweight flywheel, full induction/exhaust system and some nice big throttle bodies :yahoo:

Lightweight and Responsiveness is what i look for in all cars now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with superchargers is the power they zap from the engine just to run them in the first place and that they run out of puff quickly.

Sure they do Lee .. ;)

My old car had more power available at idle with the blower, that it did at the peak NA.

Best choice is BIG displacement so you have instant power and torque.

Then add a blower or turbos.

Yours was an exception as it had more in common with a turbo than a supercharger anyway :P :lol: I was talking about good old fashion roots/screw type chargers.

But still... supercharger cant push the same amount of air as a turbo.

And besides..... we'll all be seeing the death of the petrol/diesel engine as a practical option within out lifetimes as more and more of the market becomes electric/hybrid/hydrogen etc - Which means the end of turbos and superchargers.