Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking At Mark 2 Yaris

Kalder88

Ello all looking into getting a Mark 2 Yaris (2006-2011)

Looking at either the 1.3 (not 1.33) or 1.4 d4d but depends on price

Are both engines pretty solid

Anything I Need to watch in these cars?

Just want something that is reliable and will get me back and forth to work with low costs

Also, would a 6'3 driver fit comfortably in one? Dont mind so much about rear passenger space.

Hi welcome to TOC :)

I have the MK 2 Yaris.Its a TR petrol.Its only a 1.0 but I find its nippy enough for me.Its my second Yaris and both have been great :D and no problems with them. They never needed any work done except for servicing. My first Yaris was a T3. You should be fine for legroom and head room as the Yaris has plenty of both. I've found both my Yarises to be very relaible,and cheap to run - cheap for petrol,low road tax and low insurance. I know you said rear passenger space isn't that important to you but the rear passenger space is good in the Yaris MK 1 and 2, as the back seats in these are sliding rather than fixed. Can't really think of anything to watch out for. Good luck in finding your new Yaris :thumbsup:

Been looking at the 1.0 but a bit worried as I work up in the valleys and quite a few hills and just a tad worried it may struggle (hence opting for either the 1.3 or derv)

Thanks for your response too :)

Been looking at the 1.0 but a bit worried as I work up in the valleys and quite a few hills and just a tad worried it may struggle (hence opting for either the 1.3 or derv)

Thanks for your response too :)

I've had no bother on hills in my Yarises. There's a particular hill that I drive on frequently and I just fly up it in the others behind me in bigger cars. (not putting the revs anywhere near the red or anything like that - and not speeding).

Speaking of hills,I had a nasty chevrolet matiz one time and it couldn't manage even a small hill, it just rolled down :eek: - good thing nobody was behind me!

I'd say you might be best to take a test drive in a 1.0 and a 1.3 to see how much difference there is and then you'll know what suits your needs.

Stick with the 1.3, a 1.0 will be underpowered for those Welsh Valleys. I'd say the engines are solid as long as they've been serviced to schedule.

We swapped our 1.0 Mk1 for a couple of Mk2 1.3s.

No issue with any of them. Get 55mpg out of them on a main road commute and 45 on a commute across sheffield city centre and the M1. Yes you get more out of the diesel but its down to what you want to spend - the 1.3s are cheaper than the 1.4s car for car....

The 1.0 quite happily trundled over Snake Pass to Sheffield on many occasions. They're all 16 valve engines, so the power and torque is a but further up the rev range than on older 8 valve engines - so you need to change down early and keep the revs up to get the best out of them.

I'd go for the 1.3 over the 1.0 cos its got that little bit more power for hilly driving. The diesel will of course be more economical but will cost more - and the diesel's got a turbo which whilst they're not unreliable is more complexity to go wrong.....

If you can, go for a T3, TR or above. The T2 model was an entry level and lost a lot of kit. Most things you want are standard on the T3 and above....

The only thing I'm aware of on these cars is that there were a batch of 2008 1.3s which had an issue with the gearbox selector shaft and had a crunchy gearchange. (Normal Yaris gearchanges are like knives through butter)...

Toyota identified the issue and there was a fix that could be done to replace the selector shaft that completely fixed the issue.

So if you're trying one out and the gearbox is crunchy, its fixable by replacing the selector shaft - but if its out of warranty, then you'll have to pay for the upgrade I suspect....

Hello, You say 1.3 or diesel. Why not 1.33? I bought a new one this syear and it's a very good engine. So far 50+ mpg. Had a diesel Yaris in Spain and that was very good as well.

Regards, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

test drove one yesterday at arnold clark motorstores. A mk2 1.4 t-spirit , got a good trade in and was happy with their selling price, deposit down and picking it up tuesday > combined figures of 62 mpg and £30 road tax was and offer too good , i am currently driving a vectra 2.2 sri estate and put £20 in the tank yesterday , the trip computer showed a range of 106 miles ! :help:

also road tax for a year was £260 , all in all a no brainer > looking forward to my little

ECO-YARIS on tuesday :thumbsup:

The D4D is great fun blasting up hills and along hilly roads :lol:

All that torque in such a light car!

The D4D is great fun blasting up hills and along hilly roads :lol:

All that torque in such a light car!

last 2 cars before the vectra were diesels bmw 330 D M SPORT and a peugeot 307

the torque in the 330D WAS PHENOMINAL a few guys on the e46 bmw forum were saying when

remapped they are close to m3 performance in some areas !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links