Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hinges!

junebug1701

I'm hoping Bothy can shed some light on this...I just bought an extended warranty from Mr. T for 8 years/75,000 miles and looking through the fine print I noticed that the list of things not covered included HINGES! Why is that? There are a lot of hinges on this RAV4. What can I do to protect myself from premature hinge failure? One bright spot, though, the hinge for the fuel filler door IS covered, so I don't have to worry about that one! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping Bothy can shed some light on this...I just bought an extended warranty from Mr. T for 8 years/75,000 miles and looking through the fine print I noticed that the list of things not covered included HINGES! Why is that? There are a lot of hinges on this RAV4. What can I do to protect myself from premature hinge failure? One bright spot, though, the hinge for the fuel filler door IS covered, so I don't have to worry about that one! :thumbsup:

I'm guessing hinges are classed as a 'wear part' James. Haven't looked closely but I'm guessing that the pin can be replaced if worn. Just keep them well lubed :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear what Bothy has to say on the subject :lol:

Nope hinges are not covered and nope you cannot buy pins, some hinges are welded on and it is a big job to replace.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Wouldn't lose any sleep over them. Our 5-dr is the well-used family bus for over 9 years now & there is no sign of any of the doors sagging. Mr.T seems to do good hinges. What you will appreciate the extended warranty for however is EMS sensors which tend to fail with regrettable frequency.

Another sad sign of the times eh?

Hinges were drilled out and larger pins to suit were then fitted,in days of yore.

Mind you,some had grease nipples fitted then!!

Thats progress.

Del

Hinges were drilled out and larger pins to suit were then fitted,in days of yore.

Thats progress.

Del

Indeed Del but in those days you changed hinge pins like they were going out of fashion, 99.9% of cars these days never have a hinge changed, so excluding them from warranty is a bit daft really. I remember checking every single car we serviced for hinge condition, and most had some sort of play in them, not these days though

Thats progress.

Del

Indeed Del but in those days you changed hinge pins like they were going out of fashion, 99.9% of cars these days never have a hinge changed, so excluding them from warranty is a bit daft really. I remember checking every single car we serviced for hinge condition, and most had some sort of play in them, not these days though

Point taken,Kingo.

:bangin::bangin: :lol2: :lol2:

Del :wheelchair:

Thats progress.

Del

"Mind you,some had grease nipples fitted then!!" - Must have made an awful mess of the duvet. Interesting how boudoir etiquette changes over the years......Don't see what it's got to do with cars though.

My Dad says he had no end of problems with hinges on his Mini,s (pre BMW). he had to lift the doors to shut them.

Regards Clare

Thats progress.

Del

"Mind you,some had grease nipples fitted then!!" - Must have made an awful mess of the duvet. Interesting how boudoir etiquette changes over the years......Don't see what it's got to do with cars though.

Nay lad,it wer blankets,sheets and bedspreads for the rich nobs then.

Rest on us wer lucky to have topcoat on't bed(if tha had un) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Del

My Dad says he had no end of problems with hinges on his Mini,s (pre BMW). he had to lift the doors to shut them.

Regards Clare

You mean like a drawbridge,Clare?

They were cracking little motors tho' :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Del

Regards Clare

Del

Indeed. Sub-frames cracking all over the shop! Things were rusted halfway through when they came out of the showroom!

Regards Clare

Del

Indeed. Sub-frames cracking all over the shop! Things were rusted halfway through when they came out of the showroom!

You are spot on there ,Jim lad. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been known to utter a few curses over them,never seemed to be a easy job, front or back!!

Seem to remember lots of home made solutions in Practical Motorist for that car.

Del

Regards Clare

Del

You are spot on there ,Jim lad. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been known to utter a few curses over them,never seemed to be a easy job, front or back!!

Seem to remember lots of home made solutions in Practical Motorist for that car.

Del

Yeah, if it hadn't been for BMC & subsequently BL "vehicles", PM would have been half its size & wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. BL stuff should have come with a lifetime sub to PM instead of a handbook. Having said that the Austin Princess was a brilliant car; pity that BL didn't build it consistently well in the first place.

What concerns me is how few garages even lube the hinges during a service. In the old days hinge pins wore and were easily replaced but on modern cars where the hinge is not lubed regularly it ends up seizing and when that happens the next thing you know is that cracks appear in te bodywork where the hinges components are attached to the door pillar.

I make a point of greasing all hinges, locks, etc each time I service my car.

Jim,I assume you mean the princess/ambassador and not the original model like the "R"

James(I'm getting confused here :unsure:) cars are'nt expected to last as long now and the hinges will last the life of the car.

As stated before,thats progress!

Del

Jim,I assume you mean the princess/ambassador and not the original model like the "R"

James(I'm getting confused here :unsure:) cars are'nt expected to last as long now and the hinges will last the life of the car.

As stated before,thats progress!

Del

Correct, the wedge, not the earlier one that looked like a RR that had shrunk in the wash.

SWMBO's first car was a new Ford Pinto. After 5 years, the doors sagged on the hinges and had to be pulled up to shut properly.

I used to hate working on the old mini's, bypass hoses, subframes, hinge pins, rubbish brakes, the list goes on :lol: and as for BL, what a pile of dog doo's most of their cars were, remember the Ital, oh dear lord :D: shock absorbers fitted on a monthly basis (well it felt like that)

I used to hate working on the old mini's, bypass hoses, subframes, hinge pins, rubbish brakes, the list goes on :lol: and as for BL, what a pile of dog doo's most of their cars were, remember the Ital, oh dear lord :D: shock absorbers fitted on a monthly basis (well it felt like that)

Ah, yes, the infamous bypass hose. Nasty little bellows-style hose that was obviously designed to drive you nuts trying to fit it. I've known folk to remove the head just to fit a 10p rubber hose 2 inches long! Only good thing about minis (& 1100/1300's) was that you could lift them onto their side to drop the sump/gearbox or do any suspension work. We used to roll them onto cushions of hay so as not to damage bodywork. Ah, those were the days......

I'm sure I read in the past about a manufactured gizmo that was two big hoops joined together and the car was driven on/into,secured,and could then be rolled over!

Can anyone back me up (not roll over :rolleyes:) on this?

Del

I'm sure I read in the past about a manufactured gizmo that was two big hoops joined together and the car was driven on/into,secured,and could then be rolled over!

Del

You mean something like THIS Del

Del

Big jessies! We had none of that in my day; 3 Shredded Wheat & hay bales did the job.

Del

Ferzacally Dave,that is similar, but I'm sure the one I saw could be rolled over the whole 360. :unsure:

Didn't fancy it myself,never had the need to put a car on its roof,so to speak!!

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links