Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Colorado 3.0 Td Gx

WakeB

Hi - I have a Landcruiser Colorado 3.0 TD GX - Problem is that its just started to struggle starting in the mornings, It labours ! it just sounds like the batteries are flat (they were new under 12 mnths ago and I have had them checked and they are fine). Once it starts its fine all day - it seems to be spasmodic - sometimes it will struggle to start and sometimes it starts first time. I have changed the glow plugs but it still does it. Can anyone give me some advice please as what else it could be.

Regards Col

Are you saying its turning over slowly? If so, I'd start by checking the specific gravity in the batteries (to check that they really are charged), and if that's OK then check all the main connections - Battery to earth, engine to earth, Battery to starter. If those check out, then it could be the starter motor. But before taking it out I'd check the voltage at the starter when its cranking.

If its turning over OK, but just not starting it could be the fuel draining back to the tank - so needing to be pumped up again.

Thanks for the reply - I have changed the fuel filter today and primed the pump. It only struggles to start first thing in the morning - I'm hoping fingers crossed its cured - i dont fancy changing the starter. Thanks again for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I have a Landcruiser Colorado 3.0 TD GX - Problem is that its just started to struggle starting in the mornings, It labours ! it just sounds like the batteries are flat (they were new under 12 mnths ago and I have had them checked and they are fine). Once it starts its fine all day - it seems to be spasmodic - sometimes it will struggle to start and sometimes it starts first time. I have changed the glow plugs but it still does it. Can anyone give me some advice please as what else it could be.

Regards Col

hi mate

what is cranking like? good or not?

if negative then it might be Battery --check with an acid density or even evaluate what an charging indicator color like -- each modern Battery has special charging marks indicators on the Battery lid. if cranking is in order then the possible reasons are:

- clogged fine fuel filter;

- bad performance of glow plugs -- but you've changed then !!!

- glow plugs relay internal contacts are dirty with carbon --to be opened/degreased by el.solvent or similar;

- dirty contacts on the glow plugs;

- poor injection (overfueling effect)--to be tested all injectors/calibrated;

- SCV (suction control valve/s) mounted on the HP fuel injection pump is about to be burnt out --this SCV can play with you.

Cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Col,

You are going to have to come up with more info for a decent diagnosis. What's the weather like over there? 6 or7 degrees or lower? How many kilometres on the old bus? Have you had the charge rate of the alternator checked lately? Are the headlamps bright at night? Do they get brighter when the revs are raised? At present it sounds like the Battery so I would go with Mariots advice, if it turns out that you have to look at the starter, however,toyota starters are very good but they do have a common problem,at between 230000and 350000k they have a tendency to burn the contacts in the solenoid causing what you are experiencing.This problem can be rectified without dismantling the main part of the starter by fitting a solenoid repair kit or simply replacing the two contacts.

Cheers,

The Old Guy.

uote name='WakeB' timestamp='1316205131' post='1147070']

Thanks for the reply - I have changed the fuel filter today and primed the pump. It only struggles to start first thing in the morning - I'm hoping fingers crossed its cured - i dont fancy changing the starter. Thanks again for the advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links