Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres

A9er

Hi Clare,just read your post on the Rav4 forum .I have just replaced my Uc Dunlop SP2030 tyres (front down to 2mm) after 18,000 miles,with Vredestien Quatrac 3. Total cost £380 + vat. for 4 tyres.

I realise they are more all weather tyres than winter, but they get good reviews. After 2 harsh winters up here in Highland Perthshire I had really no issues with the Dunlops except for poor wear, hoping to get better mileage with the new ones. I have had two Rav 4s 5 years apiece and only had to replace the front tyres at about 35,000 miles,both Ravs had Dunlop Grandtrex fitted.The tyres for the UC seem an odd size so only a few manufacturers around, but more makes are coming on line now.

Regards

David

Cheers for info Dave,I posted on the Rav4 section cause I knew I would get a better response. I have looked at the Vredestien ones and am tempted, they have superb write-ups. The only problem I will have is getting hold of them on island, but will defo get some type for the Winter, as I said on the other post it,s not snow it,s the rain and ice I worry about.

I noticed you replaced your Dunlops on your U/C, where these the original tyres cause mine has Bridgestone one,s on?

Thanks again Clare

Yes Clare the Dunlops were fitted from new.

We also suffer from sudden black ice but that doesn't bother me to much it was clearing the 30 or so yards of snow (uphill) before I could get out on to the main road with the Auris.

I find the u/c AWD equal to both the Ravs 4.1 & 4.2 in snow and slush which I drove between 1997 & 2007.

I forgot to mention I bought a steel wheel and put one of the rear Dunlops on and carry it in the boot when I leave the village where I live is slightly out of the way, if I get a flat do not trust the gunk they supply like they talk about on the Rav forum(mind you it fills half the boot).

Regards

David

Hi Dave, we get a lot of Black ice on island.Our roads are kept in tip-top condition but one thing that is a problem is surface water freezing. We don,t have the drains at the side of the roads (except in Towns and Villages)like they do in the UK, mainly due to the fact that they rely on it running off into the fields. Where we live is very close to the sea but even the salt from the sea doesn,t stop the roads freezing up big time. Am going to do a bit of phoning around in my dinner-hour tomorrow to see if I can get or order some Winter tyres,will let you know how I went on.

It,ll be my luck we don,t have a bad winter next year!!!!!

Regards Clare

I might be able to help you with those Clare, we will have winter tyres available shortly

Kingo :thumbsup:

Clare don't leave it to late too order your tyres,if supply is hard to come by on the Island. Kingo could be the answer :thumbsup:

Last year I kept a keen eye on various tyre supply websites and because of the U/c tyre size most had non in stock :crybaby: My local tyre fitter in the village came good saved me travelling the 30 miles into Perth.

There were more choice in the size 205 x 16 x 60 which according to calculations gave a approx true speed of around 70 mph on the speedo instead of 66mph with the origanal tyre size according to my GPS ,but not sure about clearance in the front wheel arch,perhaps somebody with more knowladge may give a anwser.

But then they might be a insurance issues!!

On a personal note I hope we do have a mild winter after the last 2 up here in Highland Perthshre.

Regards

David

Hi,Dave have rung every Tyre dealer on island and every one bar none has come back with the reply "all on back-order we will give you a ring in a months time". Looks like everybodies of a similar mind!!!!

Will have to bide my time and see what they come up with.

Regards Clare

I have around 100 tyres of various sizes, including a set for UC coming in early October, Toyota secured a deal with (mainly) Yokohama early in the year, they will be delivered soon. There will be another shortage this year, if you wait for the bad weather to arrive, you wont get any

Kingo :thumbsup:

I got a quote from Tesco Tyres for Yokohama Winter Drive £74.03 fully fitted per tyre. Tesco seems to have linked up with blackcircles.com. My tyre size is 185/60R15. Link for Tesco tyres http://www.tesco-tyres.com/

Thanks for link Lorna, just have a look at my post on the Rav4 sectiom under Winter Tyres, I,m not having much luck at the momeny.

Regards Clare

• 4 months later...

Camskills is where I bought my Goodyear UltraGip 8!... Cheapest place on the net I found! Blackcircle didn't have any nor did any of the other top dealers!... Lovetyres.com only had 2 left and no more coming in...

• 1 year later...

Hi Catboy, as long as you do both axles (both back or both fronts) you should be OK.Will probably source them a lot cheaper as well.

Regards Clare