Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Are Toyota So Conservative?

Kalder88

Every once in a while they make a really sporty car... and then the model gets phased out pretty quickly

Corolla T Sport lasted about 2 years?

They wacked a supercharger on it (thats daring for Toyota).. and that model didnt last long?

The yaris t sport

Auris SR180, big lump of a diesel engine with masses of torque

Instead they leave the model line up with nothing remotely sporty and the most powerful engine in the Auris being a 1.6 and a 1.33 petrol in the yaris?

Those toyota designers must be going bonkers! They're clearly able to do it... Look at Honda and the Type R civic, its being phased out due to emissions I think?

I hear ya dude, I have no idea why they do it and they seem to be getting worse!

Soon the biggest engine you can get will be a 1-litre!

It must be down to what the 'average' customer wants, I guess sporty models dont sell in big numbers like a 1.4 engine would etc =/ And down to emissions I spose! Its a shame though, some people look at a car as a means of transport, others look at it as a hobby and part of their life!

Manufacturers are constantly fighting for lowest co2 emissions and highest MPG... I guess having a sporty model in the line up doesnt help the matter. Its a shame, the TCE is insane, love the sound of a supercharger whining! (reminds me of the mini cooper s)

Every once in a while they make a really sporty car... and then the model gets phased out pretty quickly

Corolla T Sport lasted about 2 years?

They wacked a supercharger on it (thats daring for Toyota).. and that model didnt last long?

The yaris t sport

Auris SR180, big lump of a diesel engine with masses of torque

Instead they leave the model line up with nothing remotely sporty and the most powerful engine in the Auris being a 1.6 and a 1.33 petrol in the yaris?

Those toyota designers must be going bonkers! They're clearly able to do it... Look at Honda and the Type R civic, its being phased out due to emissions I think?

CTS was 2002 - 2006..... pretty sure that's more than 2 years :P

CTR is also dead..... on the VTEC engines....

I totally agree with the opening post, and have thought this for a while now.

However after reading a post earlier this year on Autoblog, I think Toyota have been lots of research in the background. The break down of the article was that Toyota are in deep research and development of direct injection systems and turbo's. These are to slowly roll out from 2012 onwards.

The 2012 avensis has a 1.8 with direct injection @148bhp. And the Ft-86 will also feature a 2.0 direct injection boxer engine. Turbo's is the next step.

Turbos are showing up across almost all manufacturers, and seems to be the way around emmission laws. Honda this week even hinted at a turbo type R.

The best example I've heard of recently is fords ecoboost range. 2.0 With 257bhp, 1.6 with 180bhp, and even a 1.0 3cyl with 118bhp!

just a waiting game I suppose...

Yeh turbocharging is the way forward. Nissan have wacked a supercharger on their micra mind!

Did the compressor really suit toyotas bullet proof reliability which they are renowned for though ...

Yeh turbocharging is the way forward. Nissan have wacked a supercharger on their micra mind!

When setup to be economical, superchargers can be quite efficient. Look at the mugen cr-z, that's a supercharged hybrid! lol

When ever it's out for sale will do me. plus it will give people time to save lol

It must be down to what the 'average' customer wants, I guess sporty models dont sell in big numbers like a 1.4 engine would etc =/ And down to emissions I spose! Its a shame though, some people look at a car as a means of transport, others look at it as a hobby and part of their life!

Manufacturers are constantly fighting for lowest co2 emissions and highest MPG... I guess having a sporty model in the line up doesnt help the matter. Its a shame, the TCE is insane, love the sound of a supercharger whining! (reminds me of the mini cooper s)

i agree with this..

I work at Ford and the same is happening there, 2 door cars don't sell, so the new ST Fiesta and Focus will be 4drs, also they are releasing a 3 cyclinder turbo engine, good power output.. but so so SO small... :(

I work at Ford and the same is happening there, 2 door cars don't sell, so the new ST Fiesta and Focus will be 4drs, also they are releasing a 3 cyclinder turbo engine, good power output.. but so so SO small... :(

As long as they don't have stupid gearboxes like a smart roadster I once hired .. that's a 3 cylinder turbo engine which is quite perky but the gearbox ruined it... It just didn't do what you wanted, you told it to change down and after 5 seconds it would and then automatically shift up again

I guess the world is changing... gone are the days of big engines. VW is getting 180bhp from a 1.4 (twincharger engine) and I think almost every manufacturer is getting on board with turbocharging small engines for power/torque/mpg gains and low emissions. A 1.0 engine with over 100bhp is insane!

VW's 1.4 TSI (twincharged) engine is far too complicated for my liking, just seems overkill to need to turbocharge and supercharge an engine. I reckon these engines will expensive to maintain in the long run though. VW have nailed it with one of their engines however, the 1.2 TSI (turbo), 105bhp and 133lb-ft. That's good torque from a small engine in a small car. That should equal good driving experience with good mpg.

aren't 1.4tsi and 1.2tsi the same setup turbo charged and super charged just having different engine capacity? i've been looking at an audi a3 dsg for my next car. ordinarily i would have plumped straight for the 2.0tdi however the 1.8tfsi looks kinda tasty, only 160bhp from factory but gains with exhaust, fmic and a good remap are extraordinary, seen accounts of over 240bhp! (and it's not ridiculously bad on fuel compared to say an edition 30 or a r32)

The 1.4 TSI is twincharged however the 1.2 TSI isn't, the 1.4 TSI is designed to be used across the range of their cars (including the passat) whereas the 1.2 isnt

All a result of the unwanted EU emission laws, you can blame our beloved worthless governments for handing pretty much eveything over to the eurocrats for back handers.

But lets not forget the Tree Huggers, they have their part to play in the explosive train that is "GREEN", stick GREEN up yer A55 wasters.

Peace out......

All a result of the unwanted EU emission laws, you can blame our beloved worthless governments for handing pretty much eveything over to the eurocrats for back handers

i dont get what their worried about polar bears and penguins can swim :yahoo: and global warming needs to hurry up and warm this dam country up so we may get a decent summer for once :crybaby: