Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights In Auto

zetor

I have been disappointed with the headlights in the "Auto" position, it was one feature that I could really have used a lot as there are several tunnels that require lights on whilst driving through where I live and I was hoping I wouldn't need to keep remembering to switch them on and off each time but I am normally well into the tunnel before the lights come on in auto so really not much use, I guess they are maybe more for dusk/dawn situations, shame they are't more responsive.

It's funny watching cars with this bug...er feature...going under railway bridges and such things. The lights come on just as they emerge from the other side and go off again a few seconds later.

Bit like auto wipers and auto parking. Can't see the point myself. I know when it's dark, when it's raining and how to park. Personally I think they've run out of ideas so they're adding unnecessary gadgets to try to keep ahead of the opposition.

I disagree. I find Auto lights and auto windscreen wipers very useful. The lights in tunnels coming on a bit late is not a problem I have found.

Likewise. The delay serves you — otherwise your lights would be flashing on and off every time you went under a motorway flyover.

Heh, I wasn't referring to the delay in the lights coming on as a bug...I meant the fact that they turned on automatically at all was a fault...call me a Luddite if you wish :)

For us they seem fine but I also seem to recall that your dealer can adjust the sensitivity on the Prius led system. So if you are in an area where you find they don't respond quick enough that might be worth it.

I don't have trouble remembering to turn them on for tunnels, it's turning them off that's my problem. Yesterday, after going through a 500yd tunnel I drove over 100 miles in bright sunshine with them still on. :blush::oops:

Having had auto lights on all my cars for the last 10 years before the Prius I miss the feature as I keep forgetting to switch them on thinking that they'll come on automatically (doh!). There is obviously a light sensor as the Audio/Nav screen dims and brightens on cloudy days depending on when the sun comes out (not a lot this year granted....) so can't see why Toyota couldn't have made auto lights a standard feature.

Could it be so that they can charge extra for it now, or add it later on all models as an improvement.

We have the auto feature on the Prius. The interior lights have their own sensor compared to the headlights. The dashboard is different and will require a full replace when you have auto lights.

I think it is good that they are separate as different sensitivities are required. We love in the country sideish with lots of dense trees covering the road. It does make. Difference and I like that feature.

The auto lights also come with dimming mirrors and rain repellent glass which is fabulous.

Heh, I wasn't referring to the delay in the lights coming on as a bug...I meant the fact that they turned on automatically at all was a fault...call me a Luddite if you wish :)

Luddite! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

We have the auto feature on the Prius. The interior lights have their own sensor compared to the headlights. The dashboard is different and will require a full replace when you have auto lights.

100% wrong. My T4 has auto lights, i ran a cable from the L7 connector to a switch by the headlight level adjuster. when "On" the pin from L7 goes to ground and i have auto lights (the stalk can still be used to force lights on, but cannot turn them off), when "Off" the stalk controls the lights normally. didn't take long at all, works perfectly, will work on any G3 with HUD/light sensor.

Even in US models with no HUD it's possible, you must run a wire from the sensor (it's still there for AC usage) to L7, and ground the same pin to activate the Auto behaviour.

• Like 1

So if the headlights come on automatically as you are going along a country lane which has some trees covering the road, you go in and out of dark/light, the lights go on and off, and the poor bas*ard in front thinks you are flashing your lights at him!!

Which is exactly what happened with my Brother and his Honda CRV - only it was a Plod in a car in front that got the hump !!!

no thanks - I'll stick to the switch !!!

:thumbsup:

So if the headlights come on automatically as you are going along a country lane which has some trees covering the road, you go in and out of dark/light, the lights go on and off, and the poor bas*ard in front thinks you are flashing your lights at him!!

Which is exactly what happened with my Brother and his Honda CRV - only it was a Plod in a car in front that got the hump !!!

Not really. The lights won't activate under trees (unless it's already dark) and it takes strong direct sunlight to deactivate after they are on.

Not really. The lights won't activate under trees (unless it's already dark) and it takes strong direct sunlight to deactivate after they are on.

Bro was stopped by said plod and told to get them sorted - he (my Brother) was annoying other motorists....

The offending country lane was down in Devon, approaching some unpronouncable hilly village on the north coast... it was bright sunlight except under the trees which were very dense and even our eyes were having trouble adjusting to the continual change...

this was 2 or 3 years ago and he got rid of the CRV shortly afterwards - he's also got rid of the Landrover he px'd it for too - too many problems with the LR...

Bro was stopped by said plod and told to get them sorted - he (my Brother) was annoying other motorists....

The offending country lane was down in Devon, approaching some unpronouncable hilly village on the north coast... it was bright sunlight except under the trees which were very dense and even our eyes were having trouble adjusting to the continual change...

this was 2 or 3 years ago and he got rid of the CRV shortly afterwards - he's also got rid of the Landrover he px'd it for too - too many problems with the LR...

I've seen on other cars (and my vectra was like it too) that the sensor is forward facing, and got easily confused. the prius sensor is sky facing, and that seems to be a better orientation. Works for me, and cost about a pound for the mod.

You include a switch so you can turn the auto lights feature on or off as you wish.

Which is what Flaninacupboard has done (if I read his post right).

You include a switch so you can turn the auto lights feature on or off as you wish.

Which is what Flaninacupboard has done (if I read his post right).

You did. If it goes in for service etc then i turn the auto switch off.

• 3 years later...

100% wrong. My T4 has auto lights, i ran a cable from the L7 connector to a switch by the headlight level adjuster. when "On" the pin from L7 goes to ground and i have auto lights (the stalk can still be used to force lights on, but cannot turn them off), when "Off" the stalk controls the lights normally. didn't take long at all, works perfectly, will work on any G3 with HUD/light sensor.

Even in US models with no HUD it's possible, you must run a wire from the sensor (it's still there for AC usage) to L7, and ground the same pin to activate the Auto behaviour.

I've seen on other cars (and my vectra was like it too) that the sensor is forward facing, and got easily confused. the prius sensor is sky facing, and that seems to be a better orientation. Works for me, and cost about a pound for the mod.
Has anyone made a guide for this modification? Which is the L7 connector (this is a fuse position?) and which switch do you have to wire it to (I've LED headlights on my PiP so don't have a level adjuster switch).

Has anyone made a guide for this modification? Which is the L7 connector (this is a fuse position?) and which switch do you have to wire it to (I've LED headlights on my PiP so don't have a level adjuster switch).

No it is not the fuse position.

There is a lot of help over on priuschat if you want to locate connectors and such like.

Also, this mod is for a gen3 prius so not sure if it will the exactly the same for a PIP.

No it is not the fuse position.

There is a lot of help over on priuschat if you want to locate connectors and such like.

Also, this mod is for a gen3 prius so not sure if it will the exactly the same for a PIP.

The PiP is a Gen3, so would be surprised if there are any major differences with is over the standard Prius to prevent similar being done. I'll have a look on the Prius chat site though and see what I can find out. Thanks for the pointer :)