Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flat Tyres

Doesn'tExist

My wife just had her second flat tyre in a year both on the Prius. Neither she nor I have had one for probably the last 25 years. So statistically it is probably our turn, but I was just wondering where there is another dimension. Have any of you with the 17" Michelin wheeled priuses also had flats in the last short period of ownership?

Mine have been OK. The car had 8000 miles when I bought it and I've done about 9000 miles in 9 months. The driving has been mainly on good surfaces but with a fair proportion of poor French roads and some unmade road as well. Tyres have 5mm tread left so are good for a few miles yet, I hope.

My wife just had her second flat tyre in a year both on the Prius. Neither she nor I have had one for probably the last 25 years. So statistically it is probably our turn, but I was just wondering where there is another dimension. Have any of you with the 17" Michelin wheeled priuses also had flats in the last short period of ownership?

Had one within 3 weeks of getting car(well puncture anyway). Couldn't find anywhere locally that had the right tyre in stock but luckily local ATS managed to repair the tyre and touch wood its been OK since. Mind you thought I would have had puncture the other day (well actually thought I'd have a flattened wheel rim !) from the thump when I missed seeing a huge pothole... low profiles not so good for unrepaired country lanes

One reason I went with the Prius (apart from all the other good things like low BIK tax :-) ) is cos it had a spare wheel. Having had an S-Max with the Aerosol Goo puncture kit and no spare and having been stranded on M27 with split side wall (Goo is good for that - not!) for 3 hours a spare of some description was top of my list of requirements

Haven't had a puncture with the Prius but the Jeep before that picked up so many nails I started to wonder if it had magnetic wheels. I'd never buy a vehicle without a spare wheel, a can of goo and a recovery service is not a good enough replacement as far as I'm concerned.

I had a flat earlier on in the year, Michelin as most people.

Cause was a simply nail so im assuming nothing strange going on.

I've had mine just over 1 year now with 10k miles running on 17" Michelin factory fit. No problems with punctures, thank God. Tread was reported at 5mm at the first service check so still good to go. :thumbsup:

I've had mine just over 1 year now with 10k miles running on 17" Michelin factory fit. No problems with punctures, thank God. Tread was reported at 5mm at the first service check so still good to go. :thumbsup:

Was that 5mm all round or just the fronts?

Just had my first service at 7k and 7mm all round on the original tyres...

Thanks for the responses so far.

Unfortunately new tyres tend to puncture more I think. I suspect the greter tread means the nail or screw is more likely to lodge there.

David

Found a two inch tac in the sidewall of the tyre. Tyre written off, 6 months old. Local NT sourced identical Michelin and fitted on bank holiday monday. Excellent service.

Shocked by price as I've not had to buy any tyres for over 4 years - quoted £195! got price down with a bit of haggling to £156 fully fitted.

quoted £195! got price down with a bit of haggling to £156 fully fitted.

That is steep. When I bought my Prius in Sept 2009 I checked the price of replacement Michelins and was quoted £127.40 fitted. So that is inflation of more than 22% in two years.

They are Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/45 R17 87W

Prices for tyres have seriously risen in my experience. Two years ago I only paid £150 each for 305/35R22s XL on my car. I think £156 for the Michelin primacy on the Prius is a great price.

quoted £195! got price down with a bit of haggling to £156 fully fitted.

That is steep. When I bought my Prius in Sept 2009 I checked the price of replacement Michelins and was quoted £127.40 fitted. So that is inflation of more than 22% in two years.

They are Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/45 R17 87W

Yeah thats the tyre.

Years ago went to have exhaust replaced at Kwik-Fit and was shocked by price quoted for my Ford Orion, he saw my reaction and asked if I had had a cheaper quote elsewhere. I immediately quoted a fictional figure by National Tyres which they immediately beat. This memory always comes in handy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links